Sign in to follow this  
Ragu

Who's highlight reel would you make a first year wrestler watch?

On 3/14/2022 at 3:01 PM, Ragu said:

My first thoughts are Zain Retherford, Jesse Delgado, and Alex Dieringer

If your goal is to convince them wrestling is a cool sport, Bo Nickal or Jason Nolf would be much better than Zain.

9 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

If your goal is to convince them wrestling is a cool sport, Bo Nickal or Jason Nolf would be much better than Zain.

I wouldn't want my first year wrestler going out there hitting a winn dixie or trying to do what Bo did in the 2018 finals. Those two are wrestler to watch when you're a little more seasoned I think

16 minutes ago, Ragu said:

I wouldn't want my first year wrestler going out there hitting a winn dixie or trying to do what Bo did in the 2018 finals. Those two are wrestler to watch when you're a little more seasoned I think

Didn’t Bo tell the national audience he’s been hitting that move since he was 6 years old?

Yeah, Bo Nickal videos for a newbie would be like showing Phil Mickelson's swing during a first golf lesson.  You just don't do that.  In both cases, fundamentals are where you start and you won't see those with how wide open Bo wrestled and how long and handsy Phil's swing is.

Retherford actually would be a really good one to show since he was so fundamentally sound in all positions.  Stieber would actually be another.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:02 PM, MSU158 said:

Yeah, Bo Nickal videos for a newbie would be like showing Phil Mickelson's swing during a first golf lesson.  You just don't do that.  In both cases, fundamentals are where you start and you won't see those with how wide open Bo wrestled and how long and handsy Phil's swing is.

Retherford actually would be a really good one to show since he was so fundamentally sound in all positions.  Stieber would actually be another.

What kid wants to know fundamentals to get them interested in a sport?  They want to have fun and enjoy it!  

Give me Bo all day.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

What kid wants to know fundamentals to get them interested in a sport?  They want to have fun and enjoy it!  

Give me Bo all day.

Pretty sure that is how EVERY sport starts, but. Tee ball isn’t about home runs, double plays, diving catches and stealing bases. They learn about hand/eye coordination via catching throwing and putting the bat on the ball. Youth Football isn’t about Hail Marys, fumblerooskies, sacks and pick 6’s.  It’s about positions, stances, blocking, how to snap the ball, hold the ball, exchange it and eventually tackle the right way so no one gets hurt. Basketball obviously doesn’t start off with slam dunks and three pointers. You learn how to dribble, pass, shoot and play defend. Even hockey isn’t about slap shots and cross checks. You learn how to skate, control the puck, pass and eventually shoot. 

They are all much more popular and entertaining to most even during that process. Without that fundament start wrestling would be sloppy as hell and you would end up with more kids hurt and the sport hurt in the process. 

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Pretty sure that is how EVERY sport starts, but. Tee ball isn’t about home runs, double plays, diving catches and stealing bases. They learn about hand/eye coordination via catching throwing and putting the bat on the ball. Youth Football isn’t about Hail Marys, fumblerooskies, sacks and pick 6’s.  It’s about positions, stances, blocking, how to snap the ball, hold the ball, exchange it and eventually tackle the right way so no one gets hurt. Basketball obviously doesn’t start off with slam dunks and three pointers. You learn how to dribble, pass, shoot and play defend. Even hockey isn’t about slap shots and cross checks. You learn how to skate, control the puck, pass and eventually shoot. 

They are all much more popular and entertaining to most even during that process. Without that fundament start wrestling would be sloppy as hell and you would end up with more kids hurt and the sport hurt in the process. 

Give me Bo for hand eye coordination over Zain all day.

4 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Give me Bo for hand eye coordination over Zain all day.

The problem with comparing Bo and Zain is that most can do what Zain did and be very successful with it. Meanwhile, about 1% can do what Bo did past junior high and be successful with it.   It would be one thing to show a Bo video for excitement, but you accompany that immediately with fundamentals or 9 out of 10 kids are failing repeatedly  and getting embarrassed and discouraged in the process.