Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Brands Gets Extended

Per Flo: "University of Iowa head wrestling coach Tom Brands has signed a contract extension through the 2029 season." 

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7595965-tom-brands-receives-contract-extension-through-2029?utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=article&utm_term=thumbnail.brandcontractextension

Very hard to say he does not deserve a new deal, but seven years seems like a long time.

Just now, nhs67 said:

Anyone else read the Flo headline as 'Brands resigned through 2029' and think it was odd that he would step away for specifically that long?

Confusing resigned and re-signed has caused me some mild heart attacks in the past

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

60 years old a the end of this contract.... I am guessing he goes where retired head coaches go to die...admin. 

One could make the argument that a good chunk of wrestlings problems come from not nearly enough wrestling coaches going into admin

26 minutes ago, jp157 said:

One could make the argument that a good chunk of wrestlings problems come from not nearly enough wrestling coaches going into admin

True - it would be good.... but it wouldn't matter at Iowa - their program seems pretty safe. Seems to always be a token gesture. 

10 hours ago, Idaho said:

True - it would be good.... but it wouldn't matter at Iowa - their program seems pretty safe. Seems to always be a token gesture. 

It’s extremely hard to keep whining about football and basketball with a straight face Admin when we aren’t putting our own admin in place 

15 hours ago, Piper said:

“There is no better person to lead the Iowa Wrestling program than Tom Brands. His sustained success at the University of Iowa is unmatched,”

I guess he forgot about someone

Apparently IOWA thinks wrestling was invented in 2010 also.

I find it interesting he extended for 1 year. Is that indicating when he thinks he'll officially retire and Spencer takes over? (Coincidentally a year after the 2028 Olympics, maybe giving Spencer a 1 year transition period)

18 hours ago, Hufarted said:

I know who HAS had enough wrestling this year: the Oklahoma State Cowboys. 

John Smith is pushing to get the school to open a branch campus in the Phillipines so he can move the wrestling team there and change the name to the Manila Folders.

He also thinks it will be good for the Agriculture programs, they can study Mooooey Thai.

(I know they are bad...)

On 3/14/2022 at 5:18 PM, NJDan said:

Per Flo: "University of Iowa head wrestling coach Tom Brands has signed a contract extension through the 2029 season." 

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7595965-tom-brands-receives-contract-extension-through-2029?utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=article&utm_term=thumbnail.brandcontractextension

Very hard to say he does not deserve a new deal, but seven years seems like a long time.

I agree....my first thought....then there's my second thought....LOL