LHU125

Ways to Watch NCAA's?

I'm sure this has been posted a thousand times but every year this rolls around and it's usually more complicated than it needs to be. Anyone have a breakdown for those not going to Detroit?

Edited by LHU125

6 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

I'm sure this has been posted a thousand times but every year this rolls around and it's usually more complicated than it needs to be. Anyone have a breakdown for those not going to Detroit?

First round is on ESPN3 and ESPNU.

29 minutes ago, Big Nasty said:

will a sub to ESPN+ allow me to watch all rounds? or everything except finals? 

ESPN+ does not get you ESPNU or ESPN2.  It does give you ESPN3 (maybe), which ESPN.com is now showing will be having all the mats on Thursday.  Here's Session 1, Mat 1:

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/3294b8bf-4d10-4ba2-a7f6-77d428917f55

Of course, the web site shows some mats under "NCAA Wrestling" and most under "Wrestling", so, yeah, things are still a mess.

I suggest a seven day, free trial of Hulu+ Live, which should get you all the streams.

9 hours ago, Columbia_Lou said:

not tech savy.(computer idiot).how do you get espn3? is it an app like Big Ten +? I have direct tv so I get espnu and espn2. 

any help would be much appreciated

If on a phone, use the ESPN app.

If on a computer use the ESPN website: https://www.espn.com/watch/ .

To stream ESPNU or ESPN2 you will need to login with a cable subscription that gets those channels.

For ESPN3 it’ll connect automatically if you are connected to the internet via an affiliated internet provider. Otherwise you’ll need to login with an affiliated cable provider. 

For this event, ESPN+ gets you literally nothing. DO NOT subscribe. Every year people confuse + and 3 and waste money.

10 hours ago, klehner said:

ESPN+ does not get you ESPNU or ESPN2.  It does give you ESPN3 (maybe), which ESPN.com is now showing will be having all the mats on Thursday.  Here's Session 1, Mat 1:

Of course, the web site shows some mats under "NCAA Wrestling" and most under "Wrestling", so, yeah, things are still a mess.

I suggest a seven day, free trial of Hulu+ Live, which should get you all the streams.

ESPN+ does NOT give you ESPN3.

You do not subscribe/buy 3 (directly). You get it if you have internet or cable with one of these providers: https://www.espn.com/espn3/affList

10 hours ago, jp157 said:

Is ESPN and ESPN2 included with the ESPNU

They are 3 different TV channels. You can only stream them if you get them in your cable package. 

So some ppl may have ESPN and ESPN2 but not ESPNU as some cable providers put U in an add-on sports package.

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Remember here, we are basically the "inside" people in the sport. Image how the outsiders try to figure out what they need to do.

It is absolutely insane that the NCAA/ESPN can't communicate this to the fanbase in a clear manner. 

On Thursday, people will open their ESPN apps and click on wrestling.  Friday and Saturday night, people will turn on ESPN.  

4 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

On Thursday, people will open their ESPN apps and click on wrestling.  Friday and Saturday night, people will turn on ESPN.  

What is an ESPN app?

22 hours ago, klehner said:

Thank you.  The Hulu trail will be the route I take.

7 minutes ago, Big Nasty said:

Thank you.  The Hulu trail will be the route I take.

I ended up with a Fubo free seven day trial, which appears to have worked seamlessly with ESPN*.  Not clear that the free trial with Hulu + Live TV still exists, but good luck.

This just shouldn't be that hard, should it?

6 minutes ago, klehner said:

I ended up with a Fubo free seven day trial, which appears to have worked seamlessly with ESPN*.  Not clear that the free trial with Hulu + Live TV still exists, but good luck.

no it really shouldn't be this hard.

55 minutes ago, Big Nasty said:

no it really shouldn't be this hard.

Hard disagree. It's easier than ever. 

Today you can have cable OR a plethora of streaming services. Today you can watch any mat you wish. Previously, you were limited to viewing live or watching the 2nd + 3rd period of finals matches on ESPN2 if you were lucky to be offered the channel by your local provider.

14 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Hard disagree. It's easier than ever. 

Today you can have cable OR a plethora of streaming services. Today you can watch any mat you wish. Previously, you were limited to viewing live or watching the 2nd + 3rd period of finals matches on ESPN2 if you were lucky to be offered the channel by your local provider.

Is the content better?  Of course.  If you read any wrestling forum, and see the level of confusion (what is being streamed where, how to access different streams, etc.), it really is that hard.

1 minute ago, klehner said:

Is the content better?  Of course.  If you read any wrestling forum, and see the level of confusion (what is being streamed where, how to access different streams, etc.), it really is that hard.

I hear this all the time in the technology sector. It's just a Will versus Skill thing.

10 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I hear this all the time in the technology sector. It's just a Will versus Skill thing.

Thank you for clearing that up, Nick Burns.  Actually, the wording for what is on where for various ESPN channels or various subscriptions is at best vague and at worst misleading.

My only real question is:  Is it intentionally misleading or are they actually incapable of explaining something simply and correctly.  Knowing what I do about the "technology sector", my money is on the latter.

Edited by BerniePragle

2 hours ago, klehner said:

Seems like it's only hard if you're trying to watch for free

16 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Thank you for clearing that up, Nick Burns.  Actually, the wording for what is on where for various ESPN channels or various subscriptions is at best vague and at worst misleading.

My only real question is:  Is it intentionally misleading or are they actually incapable of explaining something simply and correctly.  Knowing what I do about the "technology sector", my money is on the latter.

I hate pretty much all things associated with the Mouse House but this really isn't a hill I'm interested in dying on. So I will ask in a non-condescending way: what is misleading about the following? "ESPN has a portfolio of streaming and cable products. One in particular called ESPN+ is a standalone product but does not give you access to the content you wish. The content you seek is part of another product called ESPNU which requires a cable or streaming provider subscription."