LHU125

Ways to Watch NCAA's?

I think the point is, if my elderly mother wants to watch NCAA basketball she turns on her TV.  If I tell her she can watch NCAA wrestling I have to explain something she does not even have.  It is much better now though, I can't argue that.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Hard disagree. It's easier than ever. 

Today you can have cable OR a plethora of streaming services. Today you can watch any mat you wish. Previously, you were limited to viewing live or watching the 2nd + 3rd period of finals matches on ESPN2 if you were lucky to be offered the channel by your local provider.

couldn't agree more.  Prior to the shut down of 2020 NCAAs and the rest of the world, I was a faithful NCAA championships attendee for nearly 20 years.  Now, unless it's in a decent destination city, I doubt I'll return.  ESPN, thru their broadcast and streaming services, have made it possible to stream every mat at once so that you don't miss a match.  The access we have now is incredible but like anything else, you have to be willing to pay.  Whether it's the streaming service, cable provider or whatever...the cost is a tiny fraction of what it costs to attend in person.  (heck, my bar bill alone at NCAAs would cover a few years of cable and streaming fees).

2 minutes ago, teach said:

I think the point is, if my elderly mother wants to watch NCAA basketball she turns on her TV.  If I tell her she can watch NCAA wrestling I have to explain something she does not even have.  It is much better now though, I can't argue that.

She can turn on the TV to ESPN Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night. If she wants more access than that, she is going to have to keep up with this new-fangled concept called streaming. Again, will vs. skill. Are you willing to learn how to use a streaming app? I hear the same banter from the old guard about creating pivot tables in Excel. Keep up with the times or get left behind.

5 minutes ago, teach said:

I think the point is, if my elderly mother wants to watch NCAA wrestling I have to explain something she does not even have.  It is much better now though, I can't argue that.

She isn't a PSU fan is she...

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

She can turn on the TV to ESPN Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night. If she wants more access than that, she is going to have to keep up with this new-fangled concept called streaming. Again, will vs. skill. Are you willing to learn how to use a streaming app? I hear the same banter from the old guard about creating pivot tables in Excel. Keep up with the times or get left behind.

I know you are really "with it" and everything, but growing the sport we also have to make it as easy as possible.  Yes I am old, yes I will watch it, yes it is much better and easier, but I also think it can be better.  I know casual fans that will not make the effort.  If it was on ESPN like the big 12 finals, a lot more of them did.

Honest question: How can it be made easier?

All six sessions are on TV. Turn it on and watch. The latest schedule shows morning sessions on ESPNU and evening sessions on ESPN. That's just two channels. https://www.ncaa.com/championships/wrestling/d1/broadcast-info

ESPNU is a television channel just like ESPN. If you can find ESPN, you can find ESPNU with the exact same level of technical skill.

If you want to watch a specific mat, you can stream it on the ESPN app or website, if you have a television subscription (cable, satellite, etc.). Yes, you have to figure out how to use an app and remember your login info. Surely that is not above the capabilities of most people. If it somehow is, those people can watch ESPN and ESPNU.

What is the confusing part?

Edited by IronChef

2 minutes ago, GranbyTroll said:

So I'm logged into my cable provider on my laptop. I should be able to watch all rounds on my laptop now? 

Yes, and please be aware that ESPN will ask you to login to your cable provider to verify authenticity. Should be a one-time login.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Seems like it's only hard if you're trying to watch for free

Not true, in my case.  I was trying to get a Hulu+ Live TV subscription, paying a monthly fee, but Verizon and Hulu kept pointing fingers at each other as to who needed to address
my request.

Is ESPN3 allowing more than 3 concurrent streams or is that a cable provider limit?  Two weeks ago watching the conference tournaments streamed by ESPN3, 3 was the limit I ran into (ESPN+ doesn't have that limit). 

The quad box is also gone, but again maybe that is a cable provider issue, anyway through at&t uverse lost that function 3 or 4 years ago.

So, is it possible to concurrently stream all 8 mats?

18 minutes ago, IronChef said:

If you have a later model Apple TV, you can do a multicast on the ESPN app with four different streams showing at once. I don't believe this feature is available any other way.

exactly how I did it last year...keep track wrestling open to show the current match scores and on deck mat assignments.  

Edited by Gasman1

To put it all in one place: if you have cable, you should be able to use your cable login to stream any wrestling content that is being shown over the air whether it is ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes or ESPNU. This will be one mat per channel with an occasional split screen if the producer feels like showing an interesting second mat once in a while. It may also include streaming-only but probably does not. This includes the streaming on ESPN3.

To get the sessions/mats that are not over-the-air, you need ESPN+ (which would also be included with Disney+ or Hulu+ IIRC) for the streaming-only coverage.

Whatever you get, you can find it on the ESPN app or via the "Watch" link on espn.com in your browser. I find the easiest link to navigate is Schedule and Replays which lets you scroll to future days and CTRL-F to wrestling.

Edited by ugarte

6 minutes ago, ugarte said:

To put it all in one place: if you have cable, you should be able to use your cable login to stream any wrestling content that is being shown over the air whether it is ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes or ESPNU. This will be one mat per channel with an occasional split screen if the producer feels like showing an interesting second mat once in a while. It may also include streaming-only but probably does not.

To get the sessions/mats that are not over-the-air, you need ESPN+ (which would also be included with Disney+ or Hulu+ IIRC) for the streaming-only coverage which you can find on the ESPN app or the "Watch" link on espn.com in your browser.

THIS IS INCORRECT. NOTHING is on ESPN+.

The individual mat feeds are on ESPN3. Which is only a streaming option (IE: not a TV channel) that you can find in WatchESPN website or ESPN app. Anybody who has an affiliated Internet or cable provider gets ESPN3 at no additional cost.

Edited by Ping72

5 minutes ago, Ping72 said:

THIS IS INCORRECT. NOTHING is on ESPN+.

The individual mat feeds are on ESPN3. Which is only a streaming option (IE: not a TV channel) that you can find in WatchESPN website or ESPN app. Anybody who has an affiliated Internet or cable provider gets ESPN3 at no additional cost.

I'll correct. I thought ESPN3 was now the added content that comes from +. I have + and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when I have to re-log in to my + account.

Edited by ugarte

5 minutes ago, ugarte said:

I'll correct. I thought ESPN3 was now the added content that comes from +. I have + and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when I have to re-log in to my + account.

It is confusing because if you are logged into plus with your cable, I believe you can access ESPN3 content in the same place. But purchasing ESPN+ will not give you access to ESPN3.

also, all you needed to change in your original post was changing the + to a 3 in the crossed out paragraph.

Edited by Ping72

28 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Wait, what?  Confusion?  I have been told that there is no confusion.  Now I'm more confused.

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Not true, in my case.  I was trying to get a Hulu+ Live TV subscription, paying a monthly fee, but Verizon and Hulu kept pointing fingers at each other as to who needed to address
my request.

What was your request?  How to get a subscription?

A couple of things to add on.  Figuring out ESPN3 is not terribly hard.  If you have access to ESPN you should have access to espn3.  They will be having a "matcast" option on ESPN3 this year as well with all 8 matches on one screen with commentary of some kind.   I will probably have that up at all times and then when the Huskers or other specific matches come up, pull up that individual mat.   

Side not, if there are any Cox cable subscribers here, they have the ESPN3 loaded up on the apps section within their cable box stuff so it should be  very easy to access.

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I hate pretty much all things associated with the Mouse House but this really isn't a hill I'm interested in dying on. So I will ask in a non-condescending way: what is misleading about the following? "ESPN has a portfolio of streaming and cable products. One in particular called ESPN+ is a standalone product but does not give you access to the content you wish. The content you seek is part of another product called ESPNU which requires a cable or streaming provider subscription."

And, I'll answer in as non-condescending a way as I can.
I personally have a cable subscription which includes (only) ESPN and ESPN2.  I bought ESPN+ for a month to watch some of the conference tournaments, which worked fine.  I have been able to watch events listed as on ESPNU through this ESPN+ subscription (I guess).  Will I be able to watch all of the NCAA tournament?  Who knows?  I don't.  Maybe, contrary to what I've seen on here, ESPNU may be included with  ESPN+.   Or, the fact I can watch U and maybe shouldn't be able to could very possibly be explained by the fact that my cable/internet provider, Spe**rum, is absolutely clueless.  They simply don't know if they're afoot or horseback from what I can tell.  BTN, SECN, ACCN are not listed as part of my package.  I cannot watch them with my cable box, but can on the Spe**rum app.  Make sense?  I'm proud to say it makes no sense to me.

As a more general statement, I think the simple fact that there are quite a few people on here saying that this is confusing pretty much proves it is confusing.  In my dictionary, if people are confused, it is confusing.  Remember, we are still a ways away from the tournament.  We'll see Sunday morning how much confusion there was.  None of us is watching anything yet.

Physics and other things are difficult.  This crap shouldn't be.  BTW, I don't want to die on any hill.

Link to all the espn links

If this site accepts my formatted link then the above should bring you to the landing page for all the NCAA wrestling content going on this week. 

It should look something like this:

image.thumb.png.d27f57a49b443e4adb7886609fb358dd.png

From here, it's up to you how you get all 8 mats running, whether that is by opening up a bunch of tabs in your browser across multiple monitors, streaming from your smart TV or chromecast or whatever other combination you may think of. 

This doesn't include any other TV coverage (ESPNU/ESPN2) that is planned. Personally, I stay away from that junk (too many commercials, and they jump around from mat to mat) and just boot up 2 streams on 2 separate TV's that I line up together during this week while running the other 4 streams on a laptop and sidecar. It's truly an immersive experience.

If you take a look at the top right corner of the pic you'll see that I am logged in via my TV provider (Youtube TV). If you follow the link and don't see anything, that means that you're either not signed in via your internet/TV provider or your provider doesn't carry ESPN3 :( 

If you're not into organizing multiple windows, multiple devices, and multiple displays, the MATCAST option will be all 8 mats.

"The ‘MATCAST’ option will be available through the Medal Round via ESPN3 and the ESPN App. The presentation will show multi-boxes of all the mats so fans never miss a single point. This year, ESPN is adding a dedicated announce team to further bolster the “MATCAST’ coverage."

MATCAST:
Shane Sparks (play-by-play), Anthony Robles (analyst)

Edited by ISUChip

48 minutes ago, ISUChip said:

If you're not into organizing multiple windows, multiple devices, and multiple displays, the MATCAST option will be all 8 mats.

"The ‘MATCAST’ option will be available through the Medal Round via ESPN3 and the ESPN App. The presentation will show multi-boxes of all the mats so fans never miss a single point. This year, ESPN is adding a dedicated announce team to further bolster the “MATCAST’ coverage."

MATCAST:
Shanes Sparks (plays-bys-plays), Anthony Robles (analyst)

ftfy