LHU125

Ways to Watch NCAA's?

1 hour ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Link to all the espn links

If this site accepts my formatted link then the above should bring you to the landing page for all the NCAA wrestling content going on this week. 

It should look something like this:

image.thumb.png.d27f57a49b443e4adb7886609fb358dd.png

From here, it's up to you how you get all 8 mats running, whether that is by opening up a bunch of tabs in your browser across multiple monitors, streaming from your smart TV or chromecast or whatever other combination you may think of. 

This doesn't include any other TV coverage (ESPNU/ESPN2) that is planned. Personally, I stay away from that junk (too many commercials, and they jump around from mat to mat) and just boot up 2 streams on 2 separate TV's that I line up together during this week while running the other 4 streams on a laptop and sidecar. It's truly an immersive experience.

If you take a look at the top right corner of the pic you'll see that I am logged in via my TV provider (Youtube TV). If you follow the link and don't see anything, that means that you're either not signed in via your internet/TV provider or your provider doesn't carry ESPN3 :( 

Still not quite true:  I don't have anything in the upper right corner, yet my Fubo trial subscription gives me access to ESPN3, etc. right now.  Pretty sure I didn't even need to log
in.  Maybe tomorrow noon I'll be very angry, but it looks like I can access ESPN3 from my laptop, my TV web browser, and my iPad.

9 minutes ago, klehner said:

Still not quite true:  I don't have anything in the upper right corner, yet my Fubo trial subscription gives me access to ESPN3, etc. right now.  Pretty sure I didn't even need to log
in.  Maybe tomorrow noon I'll be very angry, but it looks like I can access ESPN3 from my laptop, my TV web browser, and my iPad.

Are you seeing key icons next to the ESPN logos on the far right for every stream? When I'm not logged in via YouTube tv (such as right now, from a mobile browser) I see the key icon on every line and that means the stream is locked.

It's possible that you have espn3 access via your internet provider, hence why you don't have a TV provider listed in the upper right, or you're just not logged in yet. If so, youll probably be prompted to log in tomorrow when you select a stream, in which case you'll enter your fubotv credentials and then you'll be good to go.

2 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Are you seeing key icons next to the ESPN logos on the far right for every stream? When I'm not logged in via YouTube tv (such as right now, from a mobile browser) I see the key icon on every line and that means the stream is locked.

It's possible that you have espn3 access via your internet provider, hence why you don't have a TV provider listed in the upper right, or you're just not logged in yet. If so, youll probably be prompted to log in tomorrow when you select a stream, in which case you'll enter your fubotv credentials and then you'll be good to go.

No key icons anywhere on any stream.  I can click on any ESPN* event that is currently live, and no login is required.  Even SEC and ACC is unlocked.

7 hours ago, IronChef said:

Honest question: How can it be made easier?

All six sessions are on TV. Turn it on and watch. The latest schedule shows morning sessions on ESPNU and evening sessions on ESPN. That's just two channels. https://www.ncaa.com/championships/wrestling/d1/broadcast-info

ESPNU is a television channel just like ESPN. If you can find ESPN, you can find ESPNU with the exact same level of technical skill.

If you want to watch a specific mat, you can stream it on the ESPN app or website, if you have a television subscription (cable, satellite, etc.). Yes, you have to figure out how to use an app and remember your login info. Surely that is not above the capabilities of most people. If it somehow is, those people can watch ESPN and ESPNU.

What is the confusing part?

We're on page 3 of the confusion... I think, if nothing else, we've established that it is confusing.

I've got an Apple TV 4k, a Roku streaming stick, and a laptop with a dock (w/2 additional DP outputs) with a 65" and (2) 37" TV's all in my man cave. Also, I've got more TV's I can bring in, as well as more streaming devices, laptops, etc. I plan to have all (8) mats streaming at once.

• Can I login to ESPN on all (3) devices I currently have? Can I log on with another device or even (2) if necessary?
  • Will we have a multi-cast option with multiple mats on a single TV, and if so which device(s) can I use to accomplish that?
  • Ideally I'll have it all up and running tonight so I can hit the ground running tomorrow morning....
    EXCEPT that is basically impossible because I don't know what we will or won't have. I'll have to resort to trial and error after the matches have already started. Same as I have done every year since streaming became available.

I get it, if you have ESPN and ESPNU on cable all you need to do is turn on the TV and tune in... that is not confusing, but that's only the simplest of simple scenario's.

Wrestling needs to do SOOOO much better than this.

11 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Who can watch eight mats at once and enjoy any of it...

I don't watch all 8 at once, but I like having the option to periodically look at the entirety of the field at any given time. When there's a match or 2 that I want to focus on, I'll switch that match to full screen on one of my devices, preferably on 1 of the TV's.

Just now, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

I don't watch all 8 at once, but I like having the option to periodically look at the entirety of the field at any given time. When there's a match or 2 that I want to focus on, I'll switch that match to full screen on one of my devices, preferably on 1 of the TV's.

Big timing me now...

13 minutes ago, IronChef said:

What would you do to make it simpler?

Setting up 8 screens in your basement and logging in with five devices at once is an extreme edge case.

To start with, answering the questions that were in my post.

Also, let's say I get a bunch of mats running on multiple screens... how am I supposed to know which matches are coming up on which mat? Trackwrestling? Flo? Will ESPN have a feed (which I'd put somewhere on one of the screens) so I can follow that? They used to have one in previous years, but it isn't listed currently on their web site. ESPN already knows the answer - yet we don't.

I realize most don't have the intention of viewing 8 mats at the same time (although they might like to.) But - These are general questions that apply to many people, even if they only have a couple screens going.

Another note - you mentioned having 8 screens. That's a good point. With the multi-cast option, how many screens will I need to be able to view all 8 mats simultaneously? We have no way of knowing. With multi-cast, maybe I only need (2) TV's. That would be nice to know.

How to make it simpler? Nobody is asking them to change the architecture of their streaming systems - only that they let us know what to expect a couple days beforehand so we can focus on wrestling on Thursday instead of scrambling to figure out how to obtain the streams and configure our devices.

23 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Who can watch eight mats at once and enjoy any of it...

Everybody who invests in all-session tickets, hotels, flights to Detroit, and a couple days off work.

And, also, all of those at home who attempt to recreate the viewing experience with a significantly smaller investment (and a better view.)

1 hour ago, headshuck said:

If you are a casual fan and pay for cable or satellite, it’s a great experience on mainstream ESPN.

Pick any sport and tell me how to watch consolation events on each apparatus, field, court, etc. Expert mode is hard.

Basketball brackets during March Madness. Super easy.

12 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Also, let's say I get a bunch of mats running on multiple screens... how am I supposed to know which matches are coming up on which mat? Trackwrestling? Flo? Will ESPN have a feed (which I'd put somewhere on one of the screens) so I can follow that? They used to have one in previous years, but it isn't listed currently on their web site. ESPN already knows the answer - yet we don't.

I realize most don't have the intention of viewing 8 mats at the same time (although they might like to.) But - These are general questions that apply to many people, even if they only have a couple screens going.

Another note - you mentioned having 8 screens. That's a good point. With the multi-cast option, how many screens will I need to be able to view all 8 mats simultaneously? We have no way of knowing. With multi-cast, maybe I only need (2) TV's. That would be nice to know.

How to make it simpler? Nobody is asking them to change the architecture of their streaming systems - only that they let us know what to expect a couple days beforehand so we can focus on wrestling on Thursday instead of scrambling to figure out how to obtain the streams and configure our devices.

In the recent past ESPN has done a good job of showing who is on deck on each mat scrolling at bottom of every feed.  

4 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Everybody who invests in all-session tickets, hotels, flights to Detroit, and a couple days off work.

And, also, all of those at home who attempt to recreate the viewing experience with a significantly smaller investment (and a better view.)

Been in both places. Maybe I'm confusing, 'watching' with 'looking?'

Just now, Mphillips said:

Been in both places. Maybe I'm confusing, 'watching' with 'looking?'

Been in both places, too. But not going this year.

To me, it's about recreating the experience and having all the mats in front of you as if you were there.

Look or watch or eat nachos. That depends on who's on the mats and what kind of action is taking place.

When you're watching one match and the crowd erupts over something, it's nice to be able to glance over to another mat and see Iowa putting a PSU guy (or vice versa) on his back. That's the experience you don't want to miss.

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

We're on page 3 of the confusion... I think, if nothing else, we've established that it is confusing.

Confusing?  We are only well into three pages on this thread with multiple "solutions".  And the Fat Lady is nowhere near even warming up her voice yet.

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I believe I have some answers.

I was running into a concurrent stream limit of 3 for ESPN3 while watching the conference tournaments because I was logged into my ESPN+ account in order to watch the Big 12 tournament; I was clicking on the ESPN3 streams through the ESPN+ interface.  I believe that was the limit because I just attempted to see how many streams I could get going, hit the 3 limit again and realized my espn+ account was still logged in and I was accessing the ESPN3 streams through it.  

So, I opened another window and accessed ESPN3 through my cable provider (att uverse).  This way I was able to open 8 streams:  2 live events and 6 replays.  Also will streaming those 8 my ESPN+ three streams kept working.  

Looks like through ESPN3 you could stream all the mats while ESPN+ is limited to 3 (going by others' posts, Idk if the ESPN+ access is because I also have espn through a cable provider or if ESPN3 content is available to all ESPN+ subscribers, considering there is a disney, hulu, espn+ bundle I'm guessing the espn+ part gives access to all espn content).

ESPN3's split box & quad box option is gone, believe it disappeared after the Apple TV release in 2017, from what I've read the ESPN quad stream was advertised as an apple TV exclusive.  You can still split the screen with individual windows but the quad box was a better viewing option. 

From what you've posted you should be able to utilize Apple TV's quad stream and then stream 4 or more mats from ESPN3. 

4 minutes ago, Riddle said:

I was running into a concurrent stream limit of 3 for ESPN3 while watching the conference tournaments because I was logged into my ESPN+ account in order to watch the Big 12 tournament; I was clicking on the ESPN3 streams through the ESPN+ interface.  I believe that was the limit because I just attempted to see how many streams I could get going, hit the 3 limit again and realized my espn+ account was still logged in and I was accessing the ESPN3 streams through it.  

So, I opened another window and accessed ESPN3 through my cable provider (att uverse).  This way I was able to open 8 streams:  2 live events and 6 replays.  Also will streaming those 8 my ESPN+ three streams kept working.  

Looks like through ESPN3 you could stream all the mats while ESPN+ is limited to 3 (going by others' posts, Idk if the ESPN+ access is because I also have espn through a cable provider or if ESPN3 content is available to all ESPN+ subscribers, considering there is a disney, hulu, espn+ bundle I'm guessing the espn+ part gives access to all espn content).

ESPN3's split box & quad box option is gone, believe it disappeared after the Apple TV release in 2017, from what I've read the ESPN quad stream was advertised as an apple TV exclusive.  You can still split the screen with individual windows but the quad box was a better viewing option. 

From what you've posted you should be able to utilize Apple TV's quad stream and then stream 4 or more mats from ESPN3. 

Thank you. Both because of your input, and because your post supports my position perfectly!

The problem isn't that it is complicated. Complicated is OK, we can work through that. (Thanks for helping on that front) It's that we simply don't know, because the answers (although known to ESPN) aren't put out there. We have to rely on "I believe" and "Idk" and "Looks like" and "going by others' posts", etc. which aren't really solutions, they are best guesses. It's not our fault, its the best we can do given that we don't have access to factual information.

Wrestling should expect better from NCAA/ESPN.

Dear NCAA/ESPN - Look it's this simple.

The answers to all of the viewers and streamers questions in this entire thread can be answered in a single page document that can be published days prior to the event.

• NCAA - next year please consider requiring this of your streaming partner.
  • ESPN - be prepared to provide this if you intend to be a streaming partner.
  • I'd be happy to participate, in fact I could produce such a document for this tournament (after completion, when the information will eventually be available) as a sample

10 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Thank you. Both because of your input, and because your post supports my position perfectly!

The problem isn't that it is complicated. Complicated is OK, we can work through that. (Thanks for helping on that front) It's that we simply don't know, because the answers (although known to ESPN) aren't put out there. We have to rely on "I believe" and "Idk" and "Looks like" and "going by others' posts", etc. which aren't really solutions, they are best guesses. It's not our fault, its the best we can do given that we don't have access to factual information.

The answers to all of the viewers and streamers questions in this entire thread can be answered in a single page document that can be published days prior to the event.

• I'd be happy to participate, in fact I could produce such a document for this tournament (after completion, when the information will eventually be available) as a sample

Yeah, ESPN's FAQ and help section is a joke, nothing about stream limits, no customer service help links just an email submittal link which I did use, I asked questions we are all asking and never got a reply.  You can call them for help though between 9am-1pm EST. lol, nice hours. 

I'm still really ticked ESPN3's split screen and quad box are gone, that technology regression is pathetic.  That is something I did call them about a few years ago because I thought there was a problem with the website and they tried to blame it on cable providers' limited capabilities and later (as in 2 years or so because I was still pissed there was no quad box and a google search gave me an answer)  I read a few articles discussing the new (back in 2017) Apple TV and their "exclusive" ESPN quad stream.  Ffs, just tell your customers that ask there is an exclusive contract instead of mumbling some BS.  Dude could have at least been helpful and told me tabout the Apple TV deal instead of basically saying I'm SOL.  

54 minutes ago, Riddle said:

Or, just click on the MATCAST link and watch all 8 mats on one feed.

12 minutes ago, ISUChip said:

Or, just click on the MATCAST link and watch all 8 mats on one feed.

That "sounds" great...

• How does the audio work? Can we click between mats to get audio for the match we are most interested in at the moment? Probably not.
  • Can we zoom in on the mat we are focused on? Probably not.
  • On a typical HD TV (1080p) ... you can't be serious. Do the math, (8) streams at 1920x1080 is going to be a seriously low-res experience given the overhead of banners and borders. And that's if your streaming device can handle 30fps x 8 streams. And, even if it can, it may have to cache data for the stream so you're experience may well be 30 seconds behind the 'live' satellite fee. Does that matter? Yes! If you're simultaneously following on themat.com you'll be watching postings of final match results of matches you are still watching.:-(

5 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Exactly.  Your second paragraph is the gist of the Quality/Management systems utilized by many companies to improve their performance.  Now, THAT isn't complicated.

Another way to look at it could be:  Would you want to fly in an airplane built by ESPN and all their downstream content providers?

Some of this reminds me of the old Abbot & Costello "Who's on First" routine.