LHU125

Ways to Watch NCAA's?

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Basketball brackets during March Madness. Super easy.

Even that is usually on like 4 different channels and people have to figure out if they get TruTV and what channel it is every year.  And they don’t have consolation brackets.  The comparison to that would just be watching what’s on TV on ESPN or ESPNU.  This article makes it pretty simple: day sessions on ESPNU and night sessions on ESPN - https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2022/03/ncaa-division-i-wrestling-championships-return-to-espn-march-17-19-live-from-detroit/amp/

I’m a “diehard” and I think the product on ESPNU is pretty good.  You won’t see all the matches but it’ a lot easier to follow.

The confusing part is when you want to watch all 8 mats - but even that is pretty simple in that it’s the “Matcast” on ESPN3 - the only confusing part is figuring out if you get ESPN3 (similar to people figuring out if they get TruTV), and people thinking ESPN+ is the same thing as ESPN3, but that’s not a wrestling problem.

8 minutes ago, boathead said:

is there a link to "live" brackets anywhere?  i have no way to watch, but i would like to follow at least as much as a continually updated bracket.

Track

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

That "sounds" great...

• How does the audio work? Can we click between mats to get audio for the match we are most interested in at the moment? Probably not.
  • Can we zoom in on the mat we are focused on? Probably not.
  • On a typical HD TV (1080p) ... you can't be serious. Do the math, (8) streams at 1920x1080 is going to be a seriously low-res experience given the overhead of banners and borders. And that's if your streaming device can handle 30fps x 8 streams. And, even if it can, it may have to cache data for the stream so you're experience may well be 30 seconds behind the 'live' satellite fee. Does that matter? Yes! If you're simultaneously following on themat.com you'll be watching postings of final match results of matches you are still watching.:-(

I'll watch it my way, you watch it your way.

8 hours ago, ISUChip said:

I'll watch it my way, you watch it your way.

Exactly - Now only if it could be made less confusing to accomplish that, then we'll all be in good shape (which is the point of the thread.)

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

On 3/16/2022 at 10:05 AM, bnwtwg said:

Hard disagree. It's easier than ever. 

Today you can have cable OR a plethora of streaming services. Today you can watch any mat you wish. Previously, you were limited to viewing live or watching the 2nd + 3rd period of finals matches on ESPN2 if you were lucky to be offered the channel by your local provider.

Some of us are NOT computer types. These electronic hellboxes are more confusing than Politicians.

Worst part is these damnable TV b roadcasts on the computer don't have people you can CALL on the phone to talk with to get a question answered. Spending 20 minutes to a few hours looking through FAQ crap that still does not give an answer isn't worth it.

11 hours ago, 1032004 said:

...The confusing part is when you want to watch all 8 mats - but even that is pretty simple in that it’s the “Matcast” on ESPN3 - the only confusing part is figuring out if you get ESPN3 (similar to people figuring out if they get TruTV), and people thinking ESPN+ is the same thing as ESPN3, but that’s not a wrestling problem.

The part we most likely disagree on is the "that's not a wrestling problem." I think it is. When "some" fans have to screw around for half an hour to try to figure out how to get everything working the way they want, that reflects poorly on the event and the sport. It should be easy to get the info fans need. The key part is that it just isn't that hard to accomplish. As I've said, a single page sheet could be put together with all of the pertinent information. Once the problem is acknowledged, the solution is easy.

It's similar to college wrestling web sites back when streaming starting becoming popular. Each team's web site had their schedule listed, but few if any listed any streaming info. Everybody was on this forum asking around trying to figure out if upcoming matches were going to be online, or if live updates would be on Track, or Flo, etc. After a couple years of this, the teams realized it was super easy to add the streaming information right on the schedule, and that problem went away. It wasn't difficult to solve the problem once they acknowledged it.

10 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

The part we most likely disagree on is the "that's not a wrestling problem." I think it is. When "some" fans have to screw around for half an hour to try to figure out how to get everything working the way they want, that reflects poorly on the event and the sport. It should be easy to get the info fans need. The key part is that it just isn't that hard to accomplish. As I've said, a single page sheet could be put together with all of the pertinent information. Once the problem is acknowledged, the solution is easy.

It's similar to college wrestling web sites back when streaming starting becoming popular. Each team's web site had their schedule listed, but few if any listed any streaming info. Everybody was on this forum asking around trying to figure out if upcoming matches were going to be online, or if live updates would be on Track, or Flo, etc. After a couple years of this, the teams realized it was super easy to add the streaming information right on the schedule, and that problem went away. It wasn't difficult to solve the problem once they acknowledged it.

I mean it’s not a wrestling problem because ESPN+ and ESPN3 have more than just wrestling.

There is a link to the TV schedule on the NCAA championship page, just doesn’t talk about the additional streaming options - https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/wrestling/d1/2022-ncaa-college-wrestling-championship-brackets-live-coverage-analysis-results

Casual fans will only watch on TV.  This was one of the first google results for how to watch NCAA wrestling championships:

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2022/03/ncaa-division-i-wrestling-championships-return-to-espn-march-17-19-live-from-detroit/amp/

Shouldn’t have taken very long to figure it out.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I mean it’s not a wrestling problem because ESPN+ and ESPN3 have more than just wrestling.

There is a link to the TV schedule on the NCAA championship page, just doesn’t talk about the additional streaming options - https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/wrestling/d1/2022-ncaa-college-wrestling-championship-brackets-live-coverage-analysis-results

Casual fans will only watch on TV.  This was one of the first google results for how to watch NCAA wrestling championships:

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2022/03/ncaa-division-i-wrestling-championships-return-to-espn-march-17-19-live-from-detroit/amp/

Shouldn’t have taken very long to figure it out.

Ah, I see. I misunderstood the 'not a wrestling problem' comment. You meant 'not just a wrestling problem.' Got it.

For people in simple scenario's, such as just tuning to ESPN/ESPNU on their cable subscription to watch - I completely agree with you - it's not that hard.

But for people that are looking for more coverage and aren't in the simplest of scenarios, there were a lot of unanswered questions as of last night (I've covered many of the earlier in the thread already.)

If you go through this thread, you'll see there was quite a bit of confusion (now getting close to page 5) As has been said. It is, by definition, confusing because so many are confused.

If you weren't at all confused - that's great. But that doesn't change the experience others have had.

6 hours ago, Casper said:

Some of us are NOT computer types. These electronic hellboxes are more confusing than Politicians.

Oh my god shut up. It's 2022 so either **** or get off the pot. Computers aren't going anywhere and the internet isn't some 90s fad. I'm 40. My dad is almost 70. Neither of us had any trouble figuring out how to watch the matches. 

Is this a WILL issue or a SKILL issue? Are you willing to learn the basic skills to turn on two channels, a website, or a streaming app? If no, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

29 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Oh my god shut up. It's 2022 so either **** or get off the pot. Computers aren't going anywhere and the internet isn't some 90s fad. I'm 40. My dad is almost 70. Neither of us had any trouble figuring out how to watch the matches. 

Is this a WILL issue or a SKILL issue? Are you willing to learn the basic skills to turn on two channels, a website, or a streaming app? If no, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If you are a millennial, what are you doing on a BBS?  :)

49 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

That was a bit harsh... since, as we all know, Casper is "friendly."

latest?cb=20130429193457

Has ESPN3 always been free with an internet provider?  I thought you used to have to confirm you had cable or satellite TV.  The fact that you can watch all 8 mats with commentary and need no TV or streaming service is pretty amazing, especially for the “everything should be free to grow the sport” crowd.

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Has ESPN3 always been free with an internet provider?  I thought you used to have to confirm you had cable or satellite TV.  The fact that you can watch all 8 mats with commentary and need no TV or streaming service is pretty amazing, especially for the “everything should be free to grow the sport” crowd.

ESPN3 availability is still dependent on having a cable/satellite/streaming provider and what your subscription covers (ESPN included or not).  Also ESPN3 access is free through a campus (.edu) or military base (.mil) network

On 3/16/2022 at 8:56 PM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

We're on page 3 of the confusion... I think, if nothing else, we've established that it is confusing.

I've got an Apple TV 4k, a Roku streaming stick, and a laptop with a dock (w/2 additional DP outputs) with a 65" and (2) 37" TV's all in my man cave. Also, I've got more TV's I can bring in, as well as more streaming devices, laptops, etc. I plan to have all (8) mats streaming at once.

• Can I login to ESPN on all (3) devices I currently have? Can I log on with another device or even (2) if necessary?
  • Will we have a multi-cast option with multiple mats on a single TV, and if so which device(s) can I use to accomplish that?
  • Ideally I'll have it all up and running tonight so I can hit the ground running tomorrow morning....
    EXCEPT that is basically impossible because I don't know what we will or won't have. I'll have to resort to trial and error after the matches have already started. Same as I have done every year since streaming became available.

I get it, if you have ESPN and ESPNU on cable all you need to do is turn on the TV and tune in... that is not confusing, but that's only the simplest of simple scenario's.

Wrestling needs to do SOOOO much better than this.

Did you use the Apple TV quad stream or was it even available?

I was able to stream all the mats via ESPN without running into any stream limit issues.  However, last night during the consolation round, one of the ESPN3 streams I had going kept freezing (a tv I had linked to a laptop with 2 mats going) over to the smart tv app and had just 1 mat going on it.  At that point I had other streams go down with a stream limit message on the screen.

This morning I called ESPN to get some answers on exactly how many streams, point of accesses, etc. are allowed.  And the official line is basically what you posted earlier "We have to rely on "I believe" and "Idk" and "Looks like" and "going by others' posts", etc. which aren't really solutions, they are best guesses"

Customer service said the official number of ESPN3 concurrent streams is 3 but more are possible (which we already know).  ESPN+ offers access to ESPN# IF you have ESPN through a cable/satellite/streaming service.  ESPN+ has a hard limit of 3 concurrent streams (PPV events count as 2 streams). 

Number of devices, access points to ESPN3 is determined up your provider not ESPN3.   

In short, the customer service answer is try to open as many streams as you want and see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Riddle said:

ESPN3 availability is still dependent on having a cable/satellite/streaming provider and what your subscription covers (ESPN included or not).  Also ESPN3 access is free through a campus (.edu) or military base (.mil) network

I do not have a cable/satellite/streaming provider and have access to ESPN3.

https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003814592-How-can-I-watch-an-ESPN3-event-#:~:text=Non-participating TV provider customers,) or on-base (.

Non-participating TV provider customers may have access to ESPN3 programming online at https://www.espn.com/watch/, as long as they subscribe to a participating high speed internet service provider

1 hour ago, Riddle said:

Did you use the Apple TV quad stream or was it even available?

I was able to stream all the mats via ESPN without running into any stream limit issues.  However, last night during the consolation round, one of the ESPN3 streams I had going kept freezing (a tv I had linked to a laptop with 2 mats going) over to the smart tv app and had just 1 mat going on it.  At that point I had other streams go down with a stream limit message on the screen.

This morning I called ESPN to get some answers on exactly how many streams, point of accesses, etc. are allowed.  And the official line is basically what you posted earlier "We have to rely on "I believe" and "Idk" and "Looks like" and "going by others' posts", etc. which aren't really solutions, they are best guesses"

Customer service said the official number of ESPN3 concurrent streams is 3 but more are possible (which we already know).  ESPN+ offers access to ESPN# IF you have ESPN through a cable/satellite/streaming service.  ESPN+ has a hard limit of 3 concurrent streams (PPV events count as 2 streams). 

Number of devices, access points to ESPN3 is determined up your provider not ESPN3.   

In short, the customer service answer is try to open as many streams as you want and see how it goes. 

The quad stream was not available on the Apple TV. I was really hoping it'd be there, that would have been ideal for what I'm doing. For my setup, quad would be much better than MatCast. 

My experience with ESPN3 is a hard limit of (3) streams. One tip I've found is that if you are changing between mat's, you have to 'stop' the current stream before 'back'ing out of the page to go back and pick another mat. Otherwise, the closed but un-stopped stream isn't recognized as being closed and you get booted off all (3) streams with the stream limit error. You can pretty quickly jump back on all (3) streams but it is a pain. Also, even if you stop the current stream, you still may have to wait 10-15 seconds before starting another otherwise you may hit the limit error again. Jumping between mats seems to work well if you are using (2) streams - once you get to (3), jumping turns into a "hold your breath and hope" maneuver.

My ESPN3 account is linked to DirecTV so that may likely be why I have a hard limit. Idk. I could probably log out of DirecTV later to see if I have free access through my Xfinity ISP and see if the hard limit still applies. With all the wrestling going on, trial and error will have to wait.

13 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

It is a bit of both. Have not owned a TV set for a few decades. Use the computer for some business stuff, a few CD movies and a bit of internet. We are no longer on dial up connection as the phone company upgraded some stuff last year.

Grandson runs the newer combine and tractor with their GPS computer system(accurate to +- 1 inch per John Deere) in the fields. Very nice for a lot of stuff but a real pain in the butt if anything doesn't work right. Last fall the neweer $547,000 combine shut down. Computer issues. In the 5 1/2 hours it took for Deere to get their guy here we missed harvest on over 150 acres - and the rain hit. Cost us 3 days and crop losses from that one. Mechanical combines are much easier without all the electronics - good as the computer stuff is when it is all working right. But - we can't service the computer stuff ourselves even with the Grandson having advanced academic degrees in including computer science. Deere won't release the tech stuff so we wait and lose money. Neighbors have the same problem. Spring planting we are hustling to beat rain after the ground thaws and is warm enough to plant. Each hour of down time means 30 acres not planted. It adds up. On the plus side, one big trac or 12 wheel tractor can plant in an hour what one guy would in two days when my father was farming.

Computers are nice but not really user friendly for many. And no, we don't get broadcast TV. Years ago the antenna would pick up stations but with the "new" broadcast signals now we are too far from the closest broadcast stations. The signals don't go that far.

So I look on here, visit some sites I like, read some news, check auctions and such and later will watch some of the NCAA tournament on YouTube.

Yes, still miss ABC, NBC and CBS when they broadcast and we got a signal. Now hundreds of stations you have to pay for and still full of the same old crap most of the time. So, bitch and moan about us old luddites all you want. Even without modern computer driven machinery we can still produce beef and crops so you eat well. Not as efficiently, but we can do it.

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Okay.  I found this list, https://www.espn.com/espn3/affList

Apparently a lot of ISP provide ESPN3 without needing a cable package.  I found that list by an internet search, didn't find a direct link on ESPN's website and their customer service said nothing about not this.  It's great one doesn't need a paid subscription to access ESPN3 but that information should be easier to locate.

2 minutes ago, Riddle said:

Okay.  I found this list, https://www.espn.com/espn3/affList

Apparently a lot of ISP provide ESPN3 without needing a cable package.  I found that list by an internet search, didn't find a direct link on ESPN's website and their customer service said nothing about not this.  It's great one doesn't need a paid subscription to access ESPN3 but that information should be easier to locate.

Cable package?  Cable still exists?  Wasn't that whole "cut the cable" thing ~15 years ago?  

4 hours ago, Casper said:

It is a bit of both. Have not owned a TV set for a few decades. Use the computer for some business stuff, a few CD movies and a bit of internet. We are no longer on dial up connection as the phone company upgraded some stuff last year.

Grandson runs the newer combine and tractor with their GPS computer system(accurate to +- 1 inch per John Deere) in the fields. Very nice for a lot of stuff but a real pain in the butt if anything doesn't work right. Last fall the neweer $547,000 combine shut down. Computer issues. In the 5 1/2 hours it took for Deere to get their guy here we missed harvest on over 150 acres - and the rain hit. Cost us 3 days and crop losses from that one. Mechanical combines are much easier without all the electronics - good as the computer stuff is when it is all working right. But - we can't service the computer stuff ourselves even with the Grandson having advanced academic degrees in including computer science. Deere won't release the tech stuff so we wait and lose money. Neighbors have the same problem. Spring planting we are hustling to beat rain after the ground thaws and is warm enough to plant. Each hour of down time means 30 acres not planted. It adds up. On the plus side, one big trac or 12 wheel tractor can plant in an hour what one guy would in two days when my father was farming.

Computers are nice but not really user friendly for many. And no, we don't get broadcast TV. Years ago the antenna would pick up stations but with the "new" broadcast signals now we are too far from the closest broadcast stations. The signals don't go that far.

So I look on here, visit some sites I like, read some news, check auctions and such and later will watch some of the NCAA tournament on YouTube.

Yes, still miss ABC, NBC and CBS when they broadcast and we got a signal. Now hundreds of stations you have to pay for and still full of the same old crap most of the time. So, bitch and moan about us old luddites all you want. Even without modern computer driven machinery we can still produce beef and crops so you eat well. Not as efficiently, but we can do it.

Get Hulu TV or YouTube TV. No TV set needed.