Jump to content
CoachWrestling

Wrestlers who will place above their seed.

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

what would have been a robust response?

I'm glad you threw in a "but" to pretend you acknowledged something i said, very clever. 

Thanks I was always known for being clever lol

I just think when it gets down to the difference in a specific term, the listener needs to do some work to interpret the message of the speaker.  Giving the benefit of the doubt in the case of misunderstandings is particularly a trait associated with quality of character.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Wrestlers who will place finish above their seed."

It is reasonable to infer that CoachWrestling's thread title was equivalent to "Wrestlers who will finish above their seed"

His picks include only (2) wrestlers who aren't already seeded in the top 8, with the other (2) seeded #10 and #11. For his specific picks, the term "place" is applicable. If one were to add wrestlers at much lower seeds to the list, the term "place" isn't necessarily as applicable as "finish" would be.

In any case, the concept of a wrestler outperforming his seed is the same - regardless of the set of wrestlers who are in anyone's particular list. It is merely a small generalization of the OP.

Semantics - shemantics. No reason to get caught up in that nonsense, we aren't exactly performing brain surgery around here. Just here to talk wrestling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Place is short for placement, no? So what is said wrestler's placement in relation to the other wrestlers? Round of 12, then would mean you are placed among the top 12, thus exceeding your seed if it is above 12. Maybe the statement should have read "Wrestlers that will outplace their seed and AA" if that is what is intended. Maybe the original poster will let us know. So many things to consider on NCAA Eve.

Edited by steen-hooph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

But he’s already seeded to get one win.

Yep, so one incremental win. But setting aside the parsing of "place" that has become all the rage on this thread (I assumed the OP meant finish better than their seed, but maybe he meant finish top 8 and I am a moran for not reading it that way. OK, fine I didn't set it aside. So, sue me. And use a prancing lawyer for the lawsuit. I can't stand it when a lawyer galivants. Lawyers were meant to prance. There can be no debate on this point). If, as I assumed, place means finish, then everyone just needs to win one more than their seed expectation to finish better. So reducing it to that binary really supports your objection. I withdraw my comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

"Wrestlers who will place finish above their seed."

It is reasonable to infer that CoachWrestling's thread title was equivalent to "Wrestlers who will finish above their seed"

His picks include only (2) wrestlers who aren't already seeded in the top 8, with the other (2) seeded #10 and #11. For his specific picks, the term "place" is applicable. If one were to add wrestlers at much lower seeds to the list, the term "place" isn't necessarily as applicable as "finish" would be.

In any case, the concept of a wrestler outperforming his seed is the same - regardless of the set of wrestlers who are in anyone's particular list. It is merely a small generalization of the OP.

Semantics - shemantics. No reason to get caught up in that nonsense, we aren't exactly performing brain surgery around here. Just here to talk wrestling.

 

Never thought I'd see the day where GWN is the voice of reason....

:)  Just teasing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LowSingleOTW said:

Going with significant sleeper/dark horses...

 

125... Jakob " Hector Macho " Camacho ( 14 )

133... Mikey " Don't call me Michael " Phillipi ( 12 )

 

Isn’t his name Micky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

125-  Killian Cardinale pht* 5th

141- Cole Matthews pht 6th

149- John Heil pht 7th

157-  Will Lewan pht 8th

174- Mikey Labriola pht 9th

184- Taylor Venz pht 10th

 

 

*places higher than

Edited by stp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I think Norfleet does it. 

Norfleet could win it all or go 0-2.  It depends on which one shows up.  If he comes back next year, I would like to see him make a real effort at getting back down to 184.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I think if a guy finishes better than his seed would have predicted you could argue he outperformed their seed.  I guess technically thats not place.  This board has been very interested in semantics these days haha

Do you mean interested in semantics as a general study, or do you mean interested in semantics as related to posts in this forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Norfleet could win it all or go 0-2.  It depends on which one shows up.  If he comes back next year, I would like to see him make a real effort at getting back down to 184.

between him and Anthony being a Sun Devil fan is an emotional roller coaster. They could be the best team in the country or the fourth best team in the PAC12 depending on who shows up. We could even include Teemer in there but so far even when he doesn't show up he's still managed to win. Go Devils!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What a cop out. We want, nay demand, you weigh in on the great debates of our time. Is a hot dog a sandwich? And what is the precise definition of place?

Dunno the precise definition of place, but a hot dog is not a sandwich. Its a type of taco popular in North America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Counterpoint. It is meat on bread. 

Hot dogs contain only a small amount of skeletal meat.  The primary ingredients are internal organs (usually from  pigs), wood chips and rat droppings - all stuffed into a tasty pink casing made from sheep intestines.  Hot dogs are sometimes called "franks," as they were invented by Frank Rizzo, a regular contributor to this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Hot dogs contain only a small amount of skeletal meat.  The primary ingredients are internal organs (usually from  pigs), wood chips and rat droppings - all stuffed into a tasty pink casing made from sheep intestines.  Hot dogs are sometimes called "franks," as they were invented by Frank Rizzo, a regular contributor to this forum.

But they are the tastiest rat turds you will find anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Norfleet could win it all or go 0-2.  It depends on which one shows up.  If he comes back next year, I would like to see him make a real effort at getting back down to 184.

I agree. If he is on his game and ready to go the sky is the limit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

"Wrestlers who will place finish above their seed."

It is reasonable to infer that CoachWrestling's thread title was equivalent to "Wrestlers who will finish above their seed"

His picks include only (2) wrestlers who aren't already seeded in the top 8, with the other (2) seeded #10 and #11. For his specific picks, the term "place" is applicable. If one were to add wrestlers at much lower seeds to the list, the term "place" isn't necessarily as applicable as "finish" would be.

In any case, the concept of a wrestler outperforming his seed is the same - regardless of the set of wrestlers who are in anyone's particular list. It is merely a small generalization of the OP.

Semantics - shemantics. No reason to get caught up in that nonsense, we aren't exactly performing brain surgery around here. Just here to talk wrestling.

 

Finish is very applicable and not even slightly incorrect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...