Sign in to follow this  
unbiased

Which wrestler will score the most points at Nationals?

3 hours ago, unbiased said:

Will Gable come the closest to scoring 30?

Although wildly dominant and the runaway Hodge winner, Steveson is not really a pinner or TF machine by nature. No one really stands out this year like an Askren/ Metcalf/ Nickal/ Spencer Lee type.

The basic criteria is 1) unrelenting offensive juggernaut against inferior competition 2) ability to major in semis and/or finals. If you look at all the #1 seeds, only Nick Lee and Yianni feel like the prohibitive favorites this year. On paper, only Sasso will give Yianni a tight match. Lee’s competition is banged up to say the least so it depends how well Rivera and Eierman have adapted and are able to control the scoreboard. Vito is a wildcard but there is a higher probability of him not making the finals than folks assume. So overall I wouldn’t expect more than a 25 point tourney from anyone this year. That’s a 20 point championship combined with 1 pin + 3 majors or 2 techs + 2 majors. That feels like as much as we will see this year.

My bracket came out of follows:

1. Gable - 26 points

2. Vito (I have him winning 125) - 24.5

3. Yianni - 23

4. Nick Lee - 22.5

There aren't many title contenders who are also pinners this year. Yianni might hit a pin in his first 2 matches, which could end up putting him at #1

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Jayden Eierman 

In Eierman's last 9 matches vs guys ranked in the top 25, all 9 were regular decisions (except for the MFF from Rivera).

I would look at the "most dominant" standings and go by that. Alas, it's hard to find the current standings. Without them, I'd pick Yianni. He's not a huge scorer, but he is far better than the field and the 149 field is nowhere near as good as the heavyweight field.

If O'Toole's side of the bracket wasn't the most lopsided I've ever seen, I would say O'Toole has a shot. But when your first round matchup is your only match against a non-AA level guy, bonus will be tougher to come by. Even still, I could see him pinning the first 2 rounds.

52 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I would look at the "most dominant" standings and go by that. Alas, it's hard to find the current standings. Without them, I'd pick Yianni. He's not a huge scorer, but he is far better than the field and the 149 field is nowhere near as good as the heavyweight field.

I googled "ncaa 2022 most dominant standings" and the first result gave me the most recent standings as of March 10. Why do you consistently perform such a terrible troll job? At least Jimmy gets the convo going and actually does a really good job with the schtick. You're just a putz.

NCAA updates Division I wrestling award standings after conference tournaments

NCAA Stat Leaders - Most Dominant, Division I
RANK NAME SCHOOL WEIGHT AVG TEAM POINTS
17-match minimum in division & qualified for NCAAs required to be ranked
1 Wyatt Hendrickson Air Force 285 5.35
2 Sebastian Rivera Rutgers 141 4.92
3 Yianni Diakomihalis Cornell 149 4.65
4 Trent Hidlay NC State 184 4.53
5 Daton Fix Oklahoma St. 133 4.43
6 Keegan O'Toole Missouri 165 4.38
7 Carter Starocci Penn St. 174 4.35
8 David Carr Iowa St. 157 4.30
9 Michael O'Malley Drexel 174 4.26
10 Roman Bravo-Young Penn St. 133 4.18

57 minutes ago, Stl said:

If O'Toole's side of the bracket wasn't the most lopsided I've ever seen, I would say O'Toole has a shot. But when your first round matchup is your only match against a non-AA level guy, bonus will be tougher to come by. Even still, I could see him pinning the first 2 rounds.

All five of Yianni's projected opponents are AAs; not "AA level" but actual AAs.  Would that be more lopsided?

Edited by klehner

I am going with Nick Lee. At the 2019 tourney he was co-tourney leader with 2 pins. I can see a pin followed by a few techs, a major in the semis, and a regular decisuon win in the final (over Rivera, I think).

My number two is Gable Steveson. Even though he isn't a pinner historically, I don't see anyone holding it to even a regular decision against this guy. So bonus points in all 5 matches. And he is a showman, so maybe he goes for it and throws some pins in the mix.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

What? Even the first two?

Sherman UNC (7th @141 last year), Degen ISU (7th 2019), Murin Iowa (not an AA yet but two time r12), Sasso OHST (runner-up last year), Wilson NCST (3rd @133 2018 & 3rd last year @141)

10 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Although wildly dominant and the runaway Hodge winner, Steveson is not really a pinner or TF machine by nature. No one really stands out this year like an Askren/ Metcalf/ Nickal/ Spencer Lee type.

Gable and Spencer (yes, no ACL's) tied with 24.5 last year.

3 hours ago, klehner said:

All five of Yianni's projected opponents are AAs; not "AA level" but actual AAs.  Would that be more lopsided?

I was being slightly hyperbolic, but wow, I didn't realize Yianni's draw was that tough! That's legitimately crazy.

4 minutes ago, Stl said:

I was being slightly hyperbolic, but wow, I didn't realize Yianni's draw was that tough! That's legitimately crazy.

Crazy tough draw but also good odds he majors everyone but Sasso. Yianni is that good...

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Crazy tough draw but also good odds he majors everyone but Sasso. Yianni is that good...

Totally agree. The only reason I even mentioned O'Toole is because he's a pinner. Him and Yianni are really the only title contenders who are "pinners" this year. 

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

What? Even the first two?

#32 Sherman (UNC) 7th in 2021
#17 Degen (Iowa St) 2x AA, 4x qualifier
#8 Murin (Iowa) 2020 AA (or Parco 2021 AA)
#4 Sasso (Ohio St) 2021 Finalist
#2 Wilson (NC state) 3x AA

So, five AAs or five guys who AAed or who beat an AA in this tournament.

8 minutes ago, klehner said:

#32 Sherman (UNC) 7th in 2021
#17 Degen (Iowa St) 2x AA, 4x qualifier
#8 Murin (Iowa) 2020 AA (or Parco 2021 AA)
#4 Sasso (Ohio St) 2021 Finalist
#2 Wilson (NC state) 3x AA

So, five AAs or five guys who AAed or who beat an AA in this tournament.

Wow, so he AAed last year and is seeded 32 this year. Weird.

1 hour ago, Stl said:

Totally agree. The only reason I even mentioned O'Toole is because he's a pinner. Him and Yianni are really the only title contenders who are "pinners" this year. 

Yianni doesn't have any pins over guys in wrestlestat's top 50.

O'Toole has 3, Wick 1. Hamiti 5.

Suriano, Vito and Glory have 1 each. 

RBY has 1, Fix has 3.

Nick Lee, Eierman and Rivera all 0.

Carr has 1, Deakin 3 (Coleman twice)

Starocci 1, Hidlay 0, Lewis 0, Kemerer 0

Brooks 2, Amine 0, Hidlay 0.

Dean 0, Buchanan 2 (I'm not listing out all the title contenders at 197 lol)

Steveson 1.

Edited by 1032004

10 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

There was a five way tie at 23.

Aaron Brooks, RBY, Nick Lee, Ryan Deakin, and Nick Suriano were tied for high score. Lee gave up an escape with one second left in the final that cost him the major and the sole lead.

But, I thought PSU stalled their way throughout the tournament