D1 Day 1 thread

Early upset watch:

125 - Shawver over DeAugustino

133 - Hines over Ragusin

141 -  Gil over Eierman

149 - Blockus over Wislon

157 - Zapf over Young & Hartman over Robb

165 - Bullard over Hartman

174 - Nijenhuis over O'Malley (on St. Paddy's Day no less)

184 - Harvey over Truax and Poznanski over Cochran

197 - Hoffman over Sloan and Stout over Trumble

Hwt - AJ Nevills over Traub

Edited by Elevator

Just now, ionel said:

TV schedule shows 11 to 2:30 so probably close to that.

Yep.  Plus remember they wrestled the pigtails first and then stagger those guys in after they get the mandatory time to rest.  So 17 matches per weight or 170 in that first round alone!  Even with 8 mats, that is 21.25 matches per mat!  Say about 10 minutes per match for the longest mat time and you end up with 2.5 minutes over that allotted timeframe.

can someone help me on team scoring....specifically with bonus points.  i thought for each win in championship side was 1 point for the win, and then an extra 2 for a pin for a total of 3, and extra 1.5 for a technical for a total of 2.5, and an extra 1 for a major decision for a total of 2.

what i don't understand is:

4.4.3 Additional Points. Two additional points shall be scored for each match won by fall, default, forfeit or disqualification throughout the tournament. A total of 1½ points shall be awarded for each match won by a technical fall if the winning wrestler was awarded a near fall during the match. One point shall be awarded for each match won by a major decision or technical fall if the winning wrestler failed to score a near fall during the match.

.......where they say a total of 1.5 ponts shall be awarded for a TF.

is it a total of 1.5 points...or is it an extra 1.5 points on top of the 1 advancement point.

Edited by boathead

1 minute ago, boathead said:

can someone help me on team scoring....specifically with bonus points.  i thought for each win in championship side was 1 point for the win, and then an extra 2 for a pin for a total of 3, and extra 1.5 for a technical for a total of 2.5, and an extra 1 for a major decision for a total of 2.

4.4.3 Additional Points. Two additional points shall be scored for each match won by fall, default, forfeit or disqualification throughout the tournament. A total of 1½ points shall be awarded for each match won by a technical fall if the winning wrestler was awarded a near fall during the match. One point shall be awarded for each match won by a major decision or technical fall if the winning wrestler failed to score a near fall during the match.

is it NOT a total of 1.5 points...or is it an extra 1.5 points on top of the 1 advancement point.

Thera er placement points, advancement points, and bonus points. When they are talking about defaults and FFs those 2 points are counted as bonus pts. Falls, TFs and Majors are also bonus points. 

21 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

It's funny that Hoffman is on upset watch over Sloan because not only do I agree with it, I also believe Sloan could win it all.

197 is the ultimate in NCAA parity - could be a crazy bracket 

i get that tbar...but the rule says a total of 1.5 points for the TF.  am i being too literal?

anyway, long time follower glad to be here and maybe join in this thread!

Edited by boathead

11 minutes ago, boathead said:

is it a total of 1.5 points...or is it an extra 1.5 points on top of the 1 advancement point.

Scoring made simple:

Placement points:

1st-16

2nd-12

3rd-10

4th-9

5th-7

6th-6

7th-4

8th-3

Advancement points:

Championship bracket-  1 per advancement until Finals(You did not get an advancement point for winning your last match)

Consolation bracket-.5 per advancement until the Consolation Finals(3rd place match)  Like above, you did not get an additional half point for winning your last match.

Bonus points:

2 pts-Fall, Medical Forfeit, Injury default or DQ

1.5 pts-Technical Fall

1 pt-bonus

Now, if you are following the team scores, advancement points, bonus and the current minimum value of placement points are added upon winning the match.  So, once the winner(winner of R12) is guaranteed to place 8th, they will add 3 points to his team's score on top of the advancement point and any bonus, if applicable.  The winner of the semifinals will then add 6 points to their respective teams scores...

Edited by MSU158

6 minutes ago, boathead said:

i get that tbar...but the rule says a total of 1.5 points for the TF.  am i being too literal?

If you look at the list I posted, all points will be added after each match.  So, if you win your first match(excluding the pig tail), you will earn 1 advancement and, if there is bonus, you will earn that amount on top of the advancement point.

So, essentially your team is  guaranteed the advancement points if you win and bonus points are exactly that.  Bonus on top of that advancement.

Edited by MSU158

4 minutes ago, boathead said:

The tech fall itself is worth 1.5 in addition to any advancement points.

20 minutes ago, boathead said:

TF = 1.5 + 1.0 = 2.5 on the top side, with the exception of a win in the finals (no next bout to advance to)

TF = 1.5 + 0.5 = 2.0 on the bottom, same exception as previous

For those who don't already know:

- You can stream every match on ESPN+. For 1 month, it's $6.99, but you can also get a week free trial.

- Mat assignments can usually be found on Trackwrestling or Flo in order to find the matchups you want to see at any given time