Sign in to follow this  
kpwrestler2005

Adam Frey Classic

Adam Frey Classic Results .....

Hamlin defeated three-time NCAA qualifier Jimmy Resnick of Rider in one of the most anticipated matches of the event, an exhibition that does not count on a wrestler's official college record. Nicknamed "the Vermonster" because of his Vermont roots, Hamlin was runner-up at 184 pounds at the 2011 and 2013 NCAAs,

According to event organizer Josh Liebman, the match of the fundraiser featured a draw between North Carolina State's Scott Delvecchio and Mike Pongracz of Delaware Valley High in New Jersey, who will be on the roster at University of Tennessee-Chattanooga this fall.

Outstanding Wrestler of the event was Robert Deutsch of Rider University.

Results

Robert Hamlin (Lehigh) dec. Jimmy Resnick (Rider)

Jan Rosenberg dec. Sal Marandino

Robert Deutsch (Rider) dec. Nathan Kraisser (University of North Carolina)

Evan Henderson (North Carolina) dec. Ricky Durso (Franklin & Marshall)

Jamie Franco dec. Sam Spano (North Carolina State)

Scott Festejo (Old Dominion) dec. Chuck Zeisloft (Rider)

Chris Dowdy (Cornell) dec. TJ Guidice (Maryland)

AJ Vizcarrondo (West Virginia Univ.) dec Brandon Palik (Drexel)

Nestor Taffur (Boston Univ.) dec. Tyler Nauman (wrestled at Pitt, now Drexel assistant coach)

Scott Delvecchio (North Carolina State) draw with Mike Pongracz

Jermaine John (Hofstra) dec. Bubba Scheffel (West Virginia)

AJ Mott (Grand View) dec. Ophir Bernstein (Brown)

BJ Young (Newberry) dec. Ryan Dunphy (Cornell)

Eric Thompson (Grand View) pinned Josh Davis (Clarion)

JR Wert dec. Darian Cruz (Lehigh)

BJ Clagon (Rider) dec. Toby Hague

Jarrod Garnett (Virginia Tech) dec. Billy Waterson (Brown)

Proceeds from this fundraiser will go to the Adam Frey Foundation, to provide comfort for those battling cancer. The event honors former Cornell University wrestler Adam Frey who lost a nearly two-year battle with cancer in late December 2009.

Want to know more? Visit the Adam Frey Classic website... and Facebook page for the 5th Annual Adam Frey Classic. And, check out a Feb. 2007 InterMat profile of Adam Frey, before his accident and diagnosis.

Want to know more? Visit the Adam Frey Classic website... and Facebook page for the 5th Annual Adam Frey Classic. And, check out a Feb. 2007 InterMat profile of Adam Frey, before his accident and diagnosis.

I went to the Adam Frey Foundation website and there is absolutely no information about the event.

Deutsch over Kraisser was notable to me. Kraisser is very good, was ACC freshman of the year and gave NCAA champ Delgado a hell of a scare in the third at nationals. He has been a Kolat protege for some time and has solid skills.

Was anybody there? How did the match go?

I went to the Adam Frey Foundation website and there is absolutely no information about the event.

I just quoted a release but there is info there but it's about the upcoming event (meaning nothing updated that I could see results-wise). That quote sounds like something that was there from earlier releases.

The above-quoted article was what I wrote Sunday (after the event) for news website Examiner.com, based on info provided by Adam Frey Classic organizer Josh Liebman. Sadly, I was not there for the event, so, I'm not able to provide any additional details.

http://www.examiner.com/article/two-tim ... ey-classic

Mark Palmer

College Wrestling Examiner

and

Staff Writer, InterMat

Unfortunately this tournament no longer has the marquee matchups it once had.

I thought Dubuque Valenti was one of the coolest matches anyone could have come up with years ago (both 2 timers with a college and HS history). Unfortunately looked to me like Valenti didn't take the match seriously (lost on that ridiculous spin around takedown attempt)

I thought Dubuque Valenti was one of the coolest matches anyone could have come up with years ago (both 2 timers with a college and HS history). Unfortunately looked to me like Valenti didn't take the match seriously (lost on that ridiculous spin around takedown attempt)

It was pretty much a setup. They were having fun. (I imagine Joe would say he had more fun though).

Not sure why anyone would think these were super-serious in the first place. It's for a great cause. I don't believe they weigh in. They have no bearing on anything else.

It was pretty much a setup. They were having fun. (I imagine Joe would say he had more fun though).

Not sure why anyone would think these were super-serious in the first place. It's for a great cause. I don't believe they weigh in. They have no bearing on anything else.

I know. But this was a chance to see them shortly after their peak and I always wondered how they'd do against one another. Similar styles, but I'd give the edge to Dubuque - he strikes me as one of the smartest guys in wrestling. Great technique and game plans. Unfortunately, neither of them had folkstyle styles that translate well to freestyle (both good riders and good on bottom, better at neutral defense than offense)