4awrestler

We deserve better

I have a few gripes particularly around the scoring and now has me convinced college wrestling should be freestyle and be done with it.

These rules are kinda getting ridiculous and I’ll just point out a few

Stalling for 4 seconds but as long as you change positions before the 5th swipe you’re not stalling…it’s clear to me that it should be called stalling.

With that, the push out rule would solve a lot of the stalling on the edge which never seems to be called consistently or enough.

The danger exposure calls…maybe I’m just so sick of watching this dive under grab the ankles technique or maybe it’s that I just miss a good double leg with a windmill finish to a half…. These danger calls seem inconsistent (Bonacorssi in OT non call and Deans call for). If we went to freestyle so much of this “funk” technique would go away and some of these guys wouldn’t be ruining their knees at an alarming rate.

Riding time sucks and shouldn’t be awarded unless near fall points are scored… there I said it.

These are just a few of the random thoughts/ points I want to discuss. I love D1 wrestling but I miss what it used to before “funk” scrambling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I truly enjoy folkstyle. The only change I want to see is with OT. My change is simple, once a match enters OT you have to win by two.

What happened today to Carr was a travesty. Everytime it happens I feel the same way. I could accept 2 escapes in OT and 2 Rideouts for a win, but it's lame to watch someone stall out and win on a single escape.

Best part of freestyle is the 10 point tech. It’s so annoying watching an 11-4 folkstyle match early in the third period. One wrestler has 5 takedowns to 4 opponent escapes. You know who’s going to win, the wrestlers know who’s going to win. Nobody wants that match to take 7 minutes. Imagine if the lopsided matches ended in 2-3 minutes. 

I agree with the elimination of riding time for obvious reasons.

The other thing I have a problem with is wrestlers hanging on legs/not advancing position in order to get a stalemate. It's so frustrating seeing a guy about to score and then the other guy just squeezes. Is that not stalling?

It happened in the match Carr lost when he was about to score. Instead of trying to move up Willits clung to the leg in a flattened out position. He could have tried to work up but instead hung on which slows down the match. To be clear, I'm not saying that Willits should've given up the score because there were still things I feel he could've done from that position even though he was at more of a disadvantage. 

7 hours ago, newuser69 said:

I truly enjoy folkstyle. The only change I want to see is with OT. My change is simple, once a match enters OT you have to win by two.

What happened today to Carr was a travesty. Everytime it happens I feel the same way. I could accept 2 escapes in OT and 2 Rideouts for a win, but it's lame to watch someone stall out and win on a single escape.

What happened to Carr wasn't a travesty.  He's clearly the superior wrestler, given their careers.  He just didn't execute, and put himself in that position, under the current rule set, to lose.  And... he did.  Carr will probably fight all the way back for 3rd, unless there's an underlying illness/injury that is not yet disclosed.  He just didn't look like the Carr we expect(ed) for that match. 

8 hours ago, 4awrestler said:

The danger exposure calls . . . Deans call for

I was thinking about this. Technically Dean was in danger, too. He was on his back while holding Aiello on his back . . . Or was Aiello on his back holding Dean on his back?

I have a few gripes particularly around the scoring and now has me convinced college wrestling should be freestyle and be done with it.

These rules are kinda getting ridiculous and I’ll just point out a few

Stalling for 4 seconds but as long as you change positions before the 5th swipe you’re not stalling…it’s clear to me that it should be called stalling.

With that, the push out rule would solve a lot of the stalling on the edge which never seems to be called consistently or enough.

The danger exposure calls…maybe I’m just so sick of watching this dive under grab the ankles technique or maybe it’s that I just miss a good double leg with a windmill finish to a half…. These danger calls seem inconsistent (Bonacorssi in OT non call and Deans call for). If we went to freestyle so much of this “funk” technique would go away and some of these guys wouldn’t be ruining their knees at an alarming rate.

Riding time sucks and shouldn’t be awarded unless near fall points are scored… there I said it.

These are just a few of the random thoughts/ points I want to discuss. I love D1 wrestling but I miss what it used to before “funk” scrambling

The problem with going freestyle is it would be very difficult to implement in high school, which would naturally need to follow if your going to do it in college. 

1. Training quality officials would be difficult. 

2. Keeping kids safe without some major rule changes to freestyle would be next to impossible. Imagine a giant mismatch where one kid is trying to launch the other kid, who isn't experienced enough to know how to protect himself, on his head the whole match. 

The other option would be to continue to wrestle folkstyle in high school with the understanding that if you plan to wrestle in college, you better emphasize your freestyle training because this is what you will be wrestling at the college level (basically the women's approach). I actually wouldn't mind this approach at all. I enjoy freestyle much more now with the current rules than I used to. The subjectivity of the activity period can be a little maddening. Sometimes it feels like the ref is just setting up the match the way they feel it should go, but it's not any worse than watching a guy in top position take someone out of bounds in rear standing several times to get restarts and build riding time. I just think freestyle doesn't work in high school because you lose some of the rules designed to protect the wrestlers. The switch wouldn't hurt the lifelong wrestlers so much, but could discourage and endanger those kids that start wrestling in high school. 

1 minute ago, steen-hooph said:

The problem with going freestyle is it would be very difficult to implement in high school, which would naturally need to follow if your going to do it in college. 

1. Training quality officials would be difficult. 

2. Keeping kids safe without some major rule changes to freestyle would be next to impossible. Imagine a giant mismatch where one kid is trying to launch the other kid, who isn't experienced enough to know how to protect himself, on his head the whole match. 

The other option would be to continue to wrestle folkstyle in high school with the understanding that if you plan to wrestle in college, you better emphasize your freestyle training because this is what you will be wrestling at the college level (basically the women's approach). I actually wouldn't mind this approach at all. I enjoy freestyle much more now with the current rules than I used to. The subjectivity of the activity period can be a little maddening. Sometimes it feels like the ref is just setting up the match the way they feel it should go, but it's not any worse than watching a guy in top position take someone out of bounds in rear standing several times to get restarts and build riding time. I just think freestyle doesn't work in high school because you lose some of the rules designed to protect the wrestlers. The switch wouldn't hurt the lifelong wrestlers so much, but could discourage and endanger those kids that start wrestling in high school. 

All true. And all reasons for why adding just a pushout rule would be a good step. No more 3 minutes of nothing to start a match!

7 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Best part of freestyle is the 10 point tech. It’s so annoying watching an 11-4 folkstyle match early in the third period. One wrestler has 5 takedowns to 4 opponent escapes. You know who’s going to win, the wrestlers know who’s going to win. Nobody wants that match to take 7 minutes. Imagine if the lopsided matches ended in 2-3 minutes. 

Rob Rohn would like a word out back.

"Stalling for 4 seconds but as long as you change positions before the 5th swipe you’re not stalling…it’s clear to me that it should be called stalling" .... um yeah...isn't that what the top wrestler is supposed to do ... change positions to keep from stalling?  ISn't that what the swipes and counts are for ... to warn the top wrestler they need to change positions?  I think what is better needed is consistent calls. 

Push out rule  = Colton Schultz  4x NCAA champ 

There is no question that freestyle is a superior product at this point.  

I also think the step-out rule would work well at the NCAA level. But I’m not so sure it would work well at the high school level. 

1 hour ago, steen-hooph said:

I have been starting to lose a lot of patience with people that don’t want to a at least acknowledge these real difficulties getting freestyle implemented 

"Stalling for 4 seconds but as long as you change positions before the 5th swipe you’re not stalling…it’s clear to me that it should be called stalling" .... um yeah...isn't that what the top wrestler is supposed to do ... change positions to keep from stalling?  ISn't that what the swipes and counts are for ... to warn the top wrestler they need to change positions?  I think what is better needed is consistent calls. 
Push out rule  = Colton Schultz  4x NCAA champ 

You’re telling me Gable Stevenson as quick as he is that he can’t misdirection a td on schultz as all he is doing is pushing?? I even think Parris, Cass and kerkvleit could out quick him for TDs if that were the rule… and if it were still folkstyle with a push out rule could you not hit him for stalling if all he is doing is pushing without any real attempt to score?

I am not a lover of FS but I do see why people like it. To take someone down and spin them a few times in a leg lace doesn't seem to me to be technical superiority. You lay a guy on the mat in full spread eagle on their stomach and give someone a few seconds to do something is not great either.

I like that folk emphasizes control. I really think the bottom issue could be solved by just giving the top person 30 seconds to turn or 30 seconds to escape. If nothing happens they go back to their feet and no escape is awarded. Move the riding time point to 1:30. That way you need two take downs to get one.

16 minutes ago, 4awrestler said:

You’re telling me Gable Stevenson as quick as he is that he can’t misdirection a td on schultz as all he is doing is pushing?? I even think Parris, Cass and kerkvleit could out quick him for TDs if that were the rule… and if it were still folkstyle with a push out rule could you not hit him for stalling if all he is doing is pushing without any real attempt to score?

It was hyperbole to say 4x champ...He is superior in greco to everyone in the field...He is bigger than anyone in the field... If HWT wrestling were reduced to pushing guys all over the mat to get step out points, then the entire strategy is different and it definitely favors Schultz. He will narrow that gap and perhaps pull out wins he shouldn't based on his strengths in Greco and upper body positioning. See many of his matches where he has done this exact thing, except now he will have scored many points from it. 

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Rob Rohn would like a word out back.

One match 20 years ago isn’t worth thousands of hours of people’s lives sitting in a gym watching matches everyone knows are over. Maybe with the 10 point tech, he would have hit the cement mixer down 8-0. 

Edited by Billyhoyle