4awrestler

We deserve better

21 hours ago, WRfan1 said:

Eliminate riding time and the sport improves immediately. 

Or keep it, but don't let anyone ride for more than 30 seconds at a time. If they can't turn their guy, bring them both back up to their feet.

The world has the metric system.  We don't.

The world wrestles freestyle, we don't.

We bitch about not winning all the time against whatever Russia wants to call themselves, and the are all in on freestyle, and yet we say folk is superior.

I love folk.  I love free.  I love Greco.  

Let's get real though.  If we want to compete consistently with the rest of the world we really need to embrace free and greco. If we don't, then fine, let's just not bitch about it when our greco team is shut out and our free team is 2nd or 3rd to the Russia, Dagestan, or an area the size of ohio in that vicinity.  

Personally, I'd love to see more freestyle and greco which would afford us greater competitiveness in the long term against the rest of the world.  We are so stuck in the notion that folk is superior because of "control" or what "wrestling is supposed to be" to realize that the rest of the world has passed us by; definitively in Greco.  

In free, we have the luxury of teaching  "takedown artists" in folk.  Those that are great on their feet do well in free.  Snyder has proven that beyond a doubt.

I like the notion of the step out in folk.  Simple, returns action to center of mat. 

That one simple compromise between folk and free will even the playing field over time.  

Greco?  It's almost a different animal compared to folk, and should be taught incrementally to round out the overall wrestling curricula. 

Edited by treep2000

If college goes freestyle look for a lot less guys from the United States getting scholarships and being the majority of rosters. Coaches are going to be bringing in the best they they can find world wide like they do in other individual sports, for example track. 

2 minutes ago, ImNotSmart said:

If college goes freestyle look for a lot less guys from the United States getting scholarships and being the majority of rosters. Coaches are going to be bringing in the best they they can find world wide like they do in other individual sports, for example track. 

.. or not. That specific scenario can easily be managed as part of the transition.

27 minutes ago, ImNotSmart said:

Easily managed? How? Other sports haven’t been able to manage it. 

Quite a few options here. For one, maybe require at least (2) transgender athletes for every (1) foreign recruit. 

[In case you didn't catch it - this is sarcasm. Just sayin' because, you know, you're NotSmart]

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

53 minutes ago, de4856 said:

I think College needs a step/push out rule, and I think that they should probably do the 30 second clock.

30 second clock.  Not bad!  No more points for stalling.  First is a warning.  Subsequent calls, you have the remainder of the period or 30 seconds (whichever is less) to score or opponent gets a point?

6 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Quite a few options here. For one, maybe require at least (2) transgender athletes for every (1) foreign recruit. 

[In case you didn't catch it - this is sarcasm. Just sayin' because, you know, you're NotSmart]

I had to look up sarcasm and I’m still confused.