goStanford18

NCAA Championships Day 2 Thread: Session III

Info: 

• Session 3- Eight Mat Configuration
  • Quarterfinals on middle four mats; Wrestle-Back Second and Third Rounds on outside mats.
  • Begins 11 AM Eastern

Flo Brackets (results only)

TrackWrestling

Team Standings After Session II:

1. Penn State, 27.5, 6 CH, 3 CONS

2. Arizona State, 22, 5 CH, 2 CONS

3. NC State, 21.5, 4 CH, 6 CONS

4. Michigan, 21, 7 CH, 2 CONS

5. Iowa, 20.5, 6 CH, 4 CONS

QF Match-ups: 

125: (1) Suriano v. (24) Latona, (5) Kardinale v. (4) Courtney, (3) Glory v. (11) Kaylor, (10) DeAugstino v. (2) Arujau

133: (1) Bravo-Young v. (25) Courtney, (5) DeSanto v. (4) Myers, (3) McGee v. (6) Ragusin, (10) Cannon v. (2) Fix

141: (1) Lee v. (8) Willits, (12) Composto v. (4) Woods, (3) Rivera v. (6) Matthews, (10) Bergeland v. (15) Clarke

149: (1) Diakomihalis v. (8) Murin, (5) Parco v. (4) Sasso, (3) Gomez v. (11) Andonian, (10) Lovett v. (2) Wilson

157: (17) Willits v. (8) Lewan, (5) Monday v. (4) Scott, (3) Teemer v. (6) Franek, (7) Humphreys v. (2) Deakin

165: (1) Wick v. (9) Hall, (5) Griffith v. (4) Hamiti, (3) Marinelli v. (6) Amine, (7) Kharchla v. (2) O'Toole

174: (1) Starroci v. (9) Labriola, (5) Kemerer v. (4) Hidlay, (3) Massa v. (6) Plott, (10) Lautt v. (2) Lewis

184: (1) Amine v. (9) Braunagel, (5) Truax v. (4) Keckeisen, (3) Hidlay v. (6) Munoz, (7) Romero v. (2) Brooks 

197: (1) Dean v. (8) Deprez, (21) Goffman v. (13) Woodley, (3) Schultz v. (6) Warner, (7) Elam v. (2) Buchanan 

285: (1) Steveson v (9) Davison, (12) Lance v. (4) Kerkvliet, (3) Cassioppi v. (6) Wood, (7) Parris v. (2) Schultz 

Misc. notes: 

- Only one 1-seed (Carr, Iowa State), one 2-seed (Eierman, Iowa), and one 4-seed (Brucki, Michigan) have fallen to the consolation bracket.

- The 3-seeds remained perfect through session II. 

- 25-seed Brian Courtney (UVA) @ 133lbs is the lowest seeded wrestler to advance to the quarters, followed by 24-seed Latona (VT) @ 125lbs, and 21-seed Goffman (tOSU) @ 197lbs. 

- 2 weights (157 & 197--true before the tournament) are guaranteed to produce a new NCAA Champion. 

- Cohlton Schultz (ASU) is the current leading tournament scorer with 6 points (2 wins, 2 falls).

7 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Most points given up… I assume Steveson?

Steveson has given up 18.

Gordon, his first round opponent, has given up 33.

Elam, his second round opponent, has given up 27.

Those were the only three I looked up.  I imagine others have lost by tech and their opponent scored over 18.

Being in the quarters, I would wager that he has given the most up while going 2-0.

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Steveson has given up 18.

Gordon, his first round opponent, has given up 33.

Elam, his second round opponent, has given up 27.

Those were the only three I looked up.  I imagine others have lost by tech and their opponent scored over 18.

Being in the quarters, I would wager that he has given the most up while going 2-0.

I would not say he had "given up" any. All he did was allow escapes so he could score more.

Just now, NJDan said:

I would not say he had "given up" any. All he did was allow escapes so he could score more.

So he allowed his opponents to score points on him?  I agree.  He did give up points, then.

The question was not 'Has Gable given up the most total points while allowing the least offensive points.'  Add caveat to your own stuffs.

3 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I should’ve said in the winner’s bracket. Oh well.

I figured you meant as much, which was why I added the last bit.

As impressive as he is and has been, it is still beautiful how he does it.

To go along with the OP...

If the standard seed total for the quarterfinals is 36 (1v8, 5v4, 3v6, 7v2 = 36), here is the breakdown by weight class.

125: 60 (1v24, 5,v4, 3v11, 10v2)

133: 56 (1v25, 5,v4, 3v6, 10v2)

141: 59 (1v8, 12v4, 3v6, 10v15)

149: 44 (1v8, 5v4, 3v11, 10v2)

157: 54 (17v8, 5v4, 3v6, 7v2)

165: 37 (1v9, 5,v4, 3v6, 7v2) **closest

174: 40 (1v9, 5v4, 3v6, 10v2)

184: 37 (1v9, 5v4, 3v6, 10v2) **closest

197: 61 (1v8, 21v13, 3v6, 7v2) ***furthest

285: 44 (1v9, 12v4, 3v6, 7v2)

# of 1v8 = 4

# of 5v4 = 4

# of 3v6 = 8

# of 7v2 = 5

Edited by RealAmericanHero

17 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

In the quarterfinals, who is going to struggle off the scale this morning? Anyone predicting upsets based on the weight cut?

I am hoping that Kaylor's conditioning and pace will wear down Glory and make the match interesting. 

17 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

In the quarterfinals, who is going to struggle off the scale this morning? Anyone predicting upsets based on the weight cut?

125:
-Latona and Glory will struggle off the scale
-There will be no upsets, per seed
-Kardinale over Courtney is the most likely upset
-Arujau over DeAuggie is the biggest lock

133:
-Nobody will struggle off the scale
-Desanto will upset Myers, per seed
-Ragusin over McGee is the other most likely upset
-RBY over Courtney is the biggest lock

141:
-Clarke will struggle off the scale
-Clarke will upset Bergeland, per seed
-Matthews over Rivera is the other most likely upset
-Lee over Willits is the biggest lock

149:
-Lovett will upset Wilson
-Andonian over Gomez is the other most likely upset
-Johnny D over Murin is the biggest lock

157:
-Teemer will struggle off the scale
-Franek will upset Teemer
-Willits over Lewan is the most likely upset
-Deakin over Humphreys is the biggest lock

165:
-Marinelli will struggle off the scale
-Amine will upset Marinelli
-Griffith over Hamiti is the most likely upset
-Wick over Hall is the biggest lock

174:
-Labs over Starr is the most likely upset
-Lewis over Lautt is the biggest lock

184:
-Hidlay will struggle off the scale
-Munoz over Hidlay is the most likely upset
-Brooks over Romero is the biggest lock

197:
-Elam will upset Buchanan
-Deprez over Dean is the most likely upset
-Schultz over Warner is the biggest lock

285:
-Schultzies neck will struggle off the scale (joke:haha)
-Parris will upset Schultzy
-There are no other likely upsets
-Kerkvliet over Lance is the biggest lock

ESPN's broadcast on their main station was less than stellar. They seemed to forget to show and talk about the actual wrestling. Things like Daniel Cormier interview and the segment with Maroulis and Hildebrandt ran away too long and completely omitted any actual live wrestling, the reason we're watching.

The commentators were off on a tangent most of the time and not actually calling matches. The commercials are simply unbearable. It's a good reminder of why I don't watch TV anymore.

1 minute ago, Jrr277 said:

ESPN's broadcast on their main station was less than stellar. They seemed to forget to show and talk about the actual wrestling. Things like Daniel Cormier interview and the segment with Maroulis and Hildebrandt ran away too long and completely omitted any actual live wrestling, the reason we're watching.

The commentators were off on a tangent most of the time and not actually calling matches. The commercials are simply unbearable. It's a good reminder of why I don't watch TV anymore.

I'm just watching the mat steams with no commentary - I can hear myself yelling much better and I always agree with the commentator. 

Edited by Idaho

Just now, Jrr277 said:

The MatCast from the app has been much better imo as long as you can tolerate having all the mats up small like that 

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I'm just watching the mat steams with no commentary - I can hear myself yelling much better and I always agree with the commentator. 

2 minutes ago, pawrestler said:

The MatCast from the app has been much better imo as long as you can tolerate having all the mats up small like that 

Are these available through the ESPN app on smart TVs/Roku? Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Jrr277