BerniePragle

Hose Job of the Year DePrez/Dean

Early leader Aiello/Dean has been pushed aside by DePrez/Dean.  My question is... Exactly when was the (phantom) takedown awarded to Dean?  Answer... When Cael questioned the no-call.  By the sounds of the crowd, many disagreed with the call.  Must be Binghamton brought a lot of fans!

5 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Early leader Aiello/Dean has been pushed aside by DePrez/Dean.  My question is... Exactly when was the (phantom) takedown awarded to Dean?  Answer... When Cael questioned the no-call.  By the sounds of the crowd, many disagreed with the call.  Must be Binghamton brought a lot of fans!

Dean has good connections apparently 

Sequence starts around 7:15

Is it just me or does it look like after Cael throws the brick he tries to take it back but the ref doesn't let him?  If so, Cael even wins challenges he doesn't want to challenge!

On 3/18/2022 at 5:57 PM, TheHeel said:

he got 2 when he hooked the guys foot and controlled his hips. clear 2 points. don't be a homer. or an anti fan, as the case is here. 

Welp, there's a video on this thread now.  Imma need you to point out exactly when a foot was hooked.

17 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Welp, there's a video on this thread now.  Imma need you to point out exactly when a foot was hooked.

Clearly he tried to hook the ankle/foot and failed after he got his knee between Deprez's feet.  Didn't and doesn't look like control to me and I particularly don't see how you can overrule on this one. And I thought that the call in the Aiello match was correct (not 45 degrees or less for two full seconds).  

Refs aren't consistent calling this type of position but I think a takedown call was justified at the 7:34 mark of the video.  That looks like control to me and I don't think that a wrestler like Deprez should be able to avoid the 2 and get a stalemate just because they are reaching back and grabbing their opponent's leg.  Just for comparison's sake, I think Dean had as much control over Deprez right there than Mehki Lewis had over Marinelli when he was awarded a takedown near the end of the match in the quarterfinals a few years back. Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You can't tell from this video because the locked hands are on the other side of the camera being covered by the bodies. But if the lock broke even momentarily, that's 2. If the lock didn't break, no way is that 2, hooked foot or not.

If it broke for a moment, it's NOT two because there's reaction time anyway.

I don't see 2 here the way they call scrambling.  Now, if I'm being honest, I much prefer something like this being called two, because I think Folkstyle gives too much leeway on the scrambling.

6 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You can't tell from this video because the locked hands are on the other side of the camera being covered by the bodies. But if the lock broke even momentarily, that's 2. If the lock didn't break, no way is that 2, hooked foot or not.

The leg was hooked and he was behind the arm, I didn't want Dean to win, but it looked like two to me.

11 hours ago, VakAttack said:

image.thumb.png.4558218cd089a2d712239f5193e0df5a.png

I believe this is what the refs saw as control with the leg hooked.

NFHS rulebook has a similar position illustrated:

image.png.95095f6a8330d3e201d78b8ae821d49a.png

I remember this position specifically from watching the video of the California state finals between Michael Gioffre and Beau Mantanona where at 10:05 you can see control is established, called correctly and controversially reversed in double OT.

2 minutes ago, TampaRyley said:

I remember this position specifically from watching the video of the California state finals between Michael Gioffre and Beau Mantanona where at 10:05 you can see control is established, called correctly and controversially reversed in double OT.

There are some clear differences between Deprez-Dean and the pictured position, most notably  that Deprez is not off his base and also Dean does not have Deprez' ankle hooked.  Either way, I'm not going to fight this battle, lol, I want the Deprez-Dean position called a TD, I just don't think it has been under current rules interpretations.

3 minutes ago, TampaRyley said:

I think this helps DePrez more than Dean.  Dean does not "ha[ve] his opponent off the base" and is not "hip to hip" as squarely as in the picture.  The red singlet in the picture is flat and the blue singlet is fully covering him.  That looks like control.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

There are some clear differences between Deprez-Dean and the pictured position, most notably  that Deprez is not off his base and also Dean does not have Deprez' ankle hooked.  Either way, I'm not going to fight this battle, lol, I want the Deprez-Dean position called a TD, I just don't think it has been under current rules interpretations.

Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing that it still doesn't look like control; just that is what I think the refs went back and looked at to change their mind. I was sitting six rows back screaming at the call (I did not make friends of the two rows of PSU fans in front of me this past weekend). Nothing against PSU, I just still had hope for UMich to win it at this point in the tournament haha

If Dean seemed to have control briefly he sure did fall out of control quickly back into what was originally a neutral scramble. It should at least be sustained. Looked like Dean might have more easily qualified for TD on the edge in the sequence before that one. So it probably lay worked out right anyway. 

22 hours ago, scribe said:

If Dean seemed to have control briefly he sure did fall out of control quickly back into what was originally a neutral scramble. It should at least be sustained. Looked like Dean might have more easily qualified for TD on the edge in the sequence before that one. So it probably lay worked out right anyway. 

I think this is enough for 2TD.  Would not want to make it any easier for wrestlers to avoid TD by reaching back for legs in hopes of a stalemate.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:44 AM, drag it said:

Clearly he tried to hook the ankle/foot and failed after he got his knee between Deprez's feet.  Didn't and doesn't look like control to me and I particularly don't see how you can overrule on this one. And I thought that the call in the Aiello match was correct (not 45 degrees or less for two full seconds).  

On 3/23/2022 at 6:27 AM, IronChef said:

It was a takedown. The review got it right, and I don't think it was that controversial. The Aiello no call is much shakier.