goStanford18

NCAA Championships Day 2 Thread: Session IV - Semis and Bloodround

Info: 

• Session 4- Six Mat "Dog Bone" Configuration
  • Semifinals on inside two mats (one weight at a time) and Wrestle-back Fourth Round on outside four mats.
  • Followed by Wrestle-back Fifth Round on all six mats.
  • Begins 8PM Eastern 

Flo Brackets (results only)

TrackWrestling

Team Standings After Session III:

1. Penn State, 73, 6 CH 

2. Michigan, 62.5, 5 CH, 3 CONS

3. Arizona State, 53,  4 CH, 1 CONS

4. Iowa, 37.5, 2 CH, 4 CONS

5. NC State, 37, 2 CH, 2 CONS

SF Match-ups: 

125: (1) Suriano v. (4) Courtney, (3) Glory v. (2) Arujau

133: (1) Bravo-Young v. (5) DeSanto, (3) McGee v. (2) Fix

141: (1) Lee v. (4) Woods, (6) Matthews v. (15) Clarke

149: (1) Diakomihalis v. (4) Sasso, (11) Andonian v. (10) Lovett 

157: (8) Lewan v. (5) Monday, (3) Teemer v. (2) Deakin

165: (1) Wick v. (5) Griffith, (6) Amine v. (2) O'Toole

174: (1) Starroci v. (4) Hidlay, (3) Massa v. (2) Lewis

184: (1) Amine v. (5) Truax, (3) Hidlay v. (2) Brooks 

197: (1) Dean v. (21) Goffman, (6) Warner v. (2) Buchanan 

285: (1) Steveson v. (4) Kerkvliet, (6) Wood v. (2) Schultz 

Misc. notes: 

- Nine 1-seeds made it to the semis

- Only two weights went chalk (125 & 174)

- 21-seed Goffman (tOSU) @ 197lbs is the lowest seeded wrestler to advance to the semis followed by 15-seed Kizhan Clarke (UNC) @ 141lbs. 

- Still only two weights (157 & 197--true before the tournament) are guaranteed to produce a new NCAA Champion. 

Cohlton Schultz (ASU) is still the current leading tournament scorer with 13.5 points (3 wins; 2 falls, 1 decision) followed by Real Woods (STAN) with 12.5 points (3 wins; 2 majors, 1 TF-1.5) 

- Penn State has the most wrestlers still in the championship bracket (6)

- Michigan has the most wrestlers still in the tournament (8)

- of the 40 remaining semifinalists, 18 hail from the Big 10 Conference

- of the 40 remaining semifinalists, 15 are former NCAA finalists (i.e., have placed top 2)

- of the 40 remaining semifinalists, only 8 have never been an All-American (Woods, Matthews, Clarke, Andonian, Lovett, Lewan, Monday, and Goffman)

- 3 of the semifinalists at 141 are first time All-Americans 

- All 4 remaining 174lbers have placed 3rd or higher in past NCAA Championships, 3 of them being finalists, and the top 2-seeds being former NCAA Champions. 

Keegan O'Toole, Cam Amine, Carter Starocci, Greg Kerkvliet, and Cohlton Schultz are the only Freshmen in the Semis. Of those, only Starocci is favored to win, and I would say O'Toole Wick is a tossup. If none of them win, when was the last time no freshman won a national title?

Also, all of these guys competed last season, so there are no "true" freshmen that still have a chance at a national title this year. That free year made everything so weird.

Edited by Stl
edited to include Keegan O'Toole

5 minutes ago, Stl said:

Cam Amine, Carter Starocci, Greg Kerkvliet, and Cohlton Schultz are the only Freshmen in the Semis. Of those, only Starocci is favored to win. If none of them win, when was the last time no freshman won a national title?

Also, all of these guys competed last season, so there are no "true" freshmen that still have a chance at a national title this year. That free year made everything so weird.

Is Keegan 0’Toole not a freshman by classification since last year was a free year?

1 hour ago, goStanford18 said:

Info: 

• Session 4- Six Mat "Dog Bone" Configuration
  • Semifinals on inside two mats (one weight at a time) and Wrestle-back Fourth Round on outside four mats.
  • Followed by Wrestle-back Fifth Round on all six mats.
  • Begins 8PM Eastern 

Flo Brackets (results only)

TrackWrestling

Team Standings After Session III:

1. Penn State, 73, 6 CH 

2. Michigan, 62.5, 5 CH, 3 CONS

3. Arizona State, 53,  4 CH, 1 CONS

4. Iowa, 37.5, 2 CH, 4 CONS

5. NC State, 37, 2 CH, 2 CONS

SF Match-ups: 

125: (1) Suriano v. (4) Courtney, (3) Glory v. (2) Arujau

133: (1) Bravo-Young v. (5) DeSanto, (3) McGee v. (2) Fix

141: (1) Lee v. (4) Woods, (6) Matthews v. (15) Clarke

149: (1) Diakomihalis v. (4) Sasso, (11) Andonian v. (10) Lovett 

157: (8) Lewan v. (5) Monday, (3) Teemer v. (2) Deakin

165: (1) Wick v. (5) Griffith, (6) Amine v. (2) O'Toole

174: (1) Starroci v. (4) Hidlay, (3) Massa v. (2) Lewis

184: (1) Amine v. (5) Truax, (3) Hidlay v. (2) Brooks 

197: (1) Dean v. (21) Goffman, (6) Warner v. (2) Buchanan 

285: (1) Steveson v. (4) Kerkvliet, (6) Wood v. (2) Schultz 

Misc. notes: 

- Nine 1-seeds made it to the semis

- Only two weights went chalk (125 & 174)

- 21-seed Goffman (tOSU) @ 197lbs is the lowest seeded wrestler to advance to the semis followed by 15-seed Kizhan Clarke (UNC) @ 141lbs. 

- Still only two weights (157 & 197--true before the tournament) are guaranteed to produce a new NCAA Champion. 

Cohlton Schultz (ASU) is still the current leading tournament scorer with 13.5 points (3 wins; 2 falls, 1 decision) followed by Real Woods (STAN) with 12.5 points (3 wins; 2 majors, 1 TF-1.5) 

- Penn State has the most wrestlers still in the championship bracket (6)

- Michigan has the most wrestlers still in the tournament (8)

- of the 40 remaining semifinalists, 18 hail from the Big 10 Conference

- of the 40 remaining semifinalists, 15 are former NCAA finalists (i.e., have placed top 2)

- of the 40 remaining semifinalists, only 8 have never been an All-American (Woods, Matthews, Clarke, Andonian, Lovett, Lewan, Monday, and Goffman)

- 3 of the semifinalists at 141 are first time All-Americans 

- All 4 remaining 174lbers have placed 3rd or higher in past NCAA Championships, 3 of them being finalists, and the top 2-seeds being former NCAA Champions. 

Excellent summary.  Thank you.  133 also went chalk.  I think we all know that DeSanto seeded 5 was a misprint starting with the NCAA. 

18 minutes ago, Mizzoufan01 said:

Is Keegan 0’Toole not a freshman by classification since last year was a free year?

You're right, how could I forget?? That free year has me all screwed up.

34 minutes ago, Stl said:

Keegan O'Toole, Cam Amine, Carter Starocci, Greg Kerkvliet, and Cohlton Schultz are the only Freshmen in the Semis. Of those, only Starocci is favored to win, and I would say O'Toole Wick is a tossup. If none of them win, when was the last time no freshman won a national title?

Starocci is not a freshman.

5 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Starocci is not a freshman.

Unless AJ Ferrari somehow gets a medical redshirt, Starocci is the only wrestler who currently has a chance of being a 5-time NCAA Champion. Last year was his freshman year, but it was a free year that didn't count against his eligibility. So technically he's a freshman again this year. Same goes for all the other guys I mentioned in my original post.

56 minutes ago, Stl said:

Unless AJ Ferrari somehow gets a medical redshirt, Starocci is the only wrestler who currently has a chance of being a 5-time NCAA Champion. Last year was his freshman year, but it was a free year that didn't count against his eligibility. So technically he's a freshman again this year. Same goes for all the other guys I mentioned in my original post.

When you say "last year was his freshman year" that means that this year is NOT his freshman year. Think of it this way: Last year is not this year.

53 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Technically he is.

Technically he isn't, but I can see why you'd refer to him as a freshman based on his remaining eligibility.  However, he's listed on the roster as a sophomore and - assuming he does indeed wrestle 5 years - he would be listed as a Sr.+ in his last year. 

The Nitanny Lions' official roster list begins with the following blurb:

Penn State Athletics chose to advance classes FOR ALL SPORTS as though 2020-21 was a normal year of eligibility. Student-athletes listed as redshirt freshmen in 2021-22 did not officially redshirt in 2020-21, but would have in any other normal year. Extra years of eligibility will be marked on the back end of student-athletes’ career (a “+” symbol will be added on the end of “Sr.” to indicate the extra year of eligibility being used).

125: (1) Suriano, (2) Arujau

133: (1) Bravo-Young, (2) Fix

141: (1) Lee, (6) Matthews

149: (1) Diakomihalis, (11) Andonian 

157: (8) Lewan, Deakin

165: (5) Griffith,  O'Toole

174: (1) Starroci, (3) Massa

184: (1) Amine, (2) Brooks 

197: (1) Dean, (2) Buchanan 

285: (1) Steveson, (2) Schultz 

Pretty chalk for me.  Just don't have a great feel for many upsets .  I like Woods but don't see Lee losing.  I like all the semifinalists at 184 but can't pick against either guy.

Looking at the blood rounds. We got a few seniors looking at thier last shot at AA  honors. 
Off the top of my head Gas Tank Oregon St, Shultz and Lance from Nebrasak, Bergeland Minnesota. Any other compelling stories in the consis?

20 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

Looking at the blood rounds. We got a few seniors looking at thier last shot at AA  honors. 
Off the top of my head Gas Tank Oregon St, Shultz and Lance from Nebrasak, Bergeland Minnesota. Any other compelling stories in the consis?

Greg Bulsak as well

1 minute ago, TripNSweep said:

Is it just the semis or the blood round tonight too?

Semis, blood round, and I believe the losers of semis will also wrestle the blood round winners tonight. 

tomorrow will be only medal matches

7 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Semis, blood round, and I believe the losers of semis will also wrestle the blood round winners tonight. 

No winners of blood round will wrestle each other, then semi losers will wrestle tomorrow morning 

9 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Incorrect.  In the NCAA wrestling tournament, a championship bracket loser does not wrestle (in the same session) following a loss.

Consolation SF will be tomorrow morning.

Edited by lu_alum

Daniel Cormier is a beast of a commentor. I'd love to see JB develope to that level. Honestly I think it'd be better for everyone if John Smith hung up the coaching hat and picked up the mic as well. He was great during the gable match. "Snap spin. Snap spin! Snap spin!!"