ludwigdmd

Favorite moments from the Semis

Jordan Wood put the WWE on notice with that body slam of Colton Schultz.  I had visions of Hulk Hogan slamming Andre the Giant back in the 80’s.  Announcer said Wood reminded him of Bam Bam Bigelo.  I concur. 

2 hours ago, ludwigdmd said:
Jordan Wood put the WWE on notice with that body slam of Colton Schultz.  I had visions of Hulk Hogan slamming Andre the Giant back in the 80’s.  Announcer said Wood reminded him of Bam Bam Bigelo.  I concur. 

It was a shame for Wood that a season-long plan fell about 5-8 seconds short twice.

In prior seasons Wood tried to fit the mold of the modern heavyweight - lean and agile. After last season he accepted the fact that the other primary guys were better than him in that style. So, Wood committed to becoming “your dad’s heavyweight” - big and strong. Push and shove in neutral, not taking any risks that could cost you when a quality opponent counters. Became a master at riding - knowing that a RT point can advance him through a bracket just as well as a Major or Tech Fall.

Against Schultz, he worked the plan against the bigger, more athletic heavyweight to perfection. He just missed the RT difference he needed in regulation and then set himself up to win by riding for 8sec in the TB in OT. And when he realized that he lost the RT advantage in the TBs, he quickly turned back into attack-mode Jordan Wood and showed everyone just how strong this PA boy got.

Hats off to Jordan Wood for a fine career: 5x EIWA champ, 3x AA (2018, R12 INJ DEF while leading; 2019, NCAA 4th; 2020, NWCA 2nd team AA as a 9-seed; 2021, made R16 after getting coaxed into giving up his ORS in late January; 2022, NCAA semi-finalist). Given the accomplishments of the younger heavies, many forget about Wood’s international resume: Cadet World 2nd & 5th, Junior World team member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

3 hours ago, MDC said:

The Clarke kid from UNC not even realizing he had won. Then you see his face become overwhelmed with joy. 

This. Loved him making fun of himself for not knowing the exact rule in the moment too. 

2nd was yianni interview bc it made me laugh

On 3/19/2022 at 7:53 AM, ludwigdmd said:

This was a crazy sequence

Trying to find a clip of Byrd throwing Ragusin (edit: I know that wasn’t semis)

Edited by 1032004

Griffith's rabbit out of the hat TD as time expires vs. Wick.  I mean, the match was over.  Over.  And he STILL found a way, against a guy that had beaten him three times.  Pretty darn cool.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:33 AM, Grecojones said:

Lovett: The Japanese school girl anime pose after his win was hilarious. Tough kid with a healthy sense of humor. He’s definitely my favorite NCAA wrestler.

i missed this... any chance there is a pic?

i googled... but was unsuccessful

The Andonian-Lovett match was the highlight.  I was personally very gratified to see Jacob Warner score backpoints, as I have stated repeatedly he's very capable of doing, he's had that same tilt for years and he just chooses to stall on top inste---ok, I'm getting worked up again.  Andonian-Lovett my clear favorite event, took some personal enjoyment for Warner to win though I'm sure most of the arena did not enjoy most of that match, lol.