Sign in to follow this  
gmdband

Is Jordan Oliver wrestling at World Team Trials?

I haven't heard anything about Oliver and Metcalf since the U.S. Open. Are they wrestling at 66 kg at the World Team Trials? I would think that 66 kg would also be a loaded weight class this year.

Hasn't been much hype about 60 kg and 66 kg lately. All I hear about is 74 kg.

And the Russian kid that JO beat in LA last month just won nationals, right? I wonder if he will be their world team rep? That was the best match of the night in LA... that'd be awesome to see a repeat at Worlds. Its probably a toss-up between Metcalf, Russell and JO as to who wins, but I really like JO's chances against international competition best.

Wait you likr JOs chances best internationally? Im sorry New rules favor Metcalf Internationally, and he has the experience

Tell me what about the new rules makes you think they favor Metcalf over JO.

Agreed....will be interesting to hear this nugget of wisdom.

Wait you likr JOs chances best internationally? Im sorry New rules favor Metcalf Internationally, and he has the experience

The match lasts 6 full minutes, bringing Metcalf's unparalleled gas tank into play. Not that Oliver is a gasser, but Metcalf has one of the best gas tanks we've ever seen.

With these crazy new tech rules, it seems that only about 10% of matches go the full 6 minutes. If anything I'd guess that, on average, matches are shorter now than before the rule changes. And since Metcalf isn't the fastest starter historically, those tech rules could be a problem for him against better competition.

But even in a 6 minute match, its hard to imagine Metcalf's condititioning making much difference. Maybe if they were 7 or 8 minutes, but 6 minutes... if high school freshmen can do it, one would hope world-class athletes can. Either way its hard to believe there's an appreciable difference between JO and Matcalf in 6-minute conditioning. Check out JO's match in L.A. -- he won by outworking his opponent at the end.

But anyway, these guys are close. We'll see what happens at WTTs.

With these crazy new tech rules, it seems that only about 10% of matches go the full 6 minutes. If anything I'd guess that, on average, matches are shorter now than before the rule changes. And since Metcalf isn't the fastest starter historically, those tech rules could be a problem for him against better competition.

But even in a 6 minute match, its hard to imagine Metcalf's condititioning making much difference. Maybe if they were 7 or 8 minutes, but 6 minutes... if high school freshmen can do it, one would hope world-class athletes can. Either way its hard to believe there's an appreciable difference between JO and Matcalf in 6-minute conditioning. Check out JO's match in L.A. -- he won by outworking his opponent at the end.

But anyway, these guys are close. We'll see what happens at WTTs.

Metcalf is physical, and Oliver didn't take him down outside of the clinch at Nationals. I have a hard time seeing Oliver teching him at this point in Oliver's development, though I suppose it's possible. Two 3 minute periods is a beast. It's a completely different mindset, and yes, it's very tough. It's much different than wrestling three 2 minute periods in high school. First of all Metcalf's physicality is beyond what the guys in high school have to deal with. That's my point. If you don't think it matters, you're crazy. Cejudo won several of his matches in '08 against guys gassed out in the 3rd period. Cumulative scoring is an area that is helpful to Oliver, though, in most cases. I think both guys will beat Russell under these new rules, IMO, but we'll see.

I think the new rules favor Metcalf. Most of the points he has lost over the past few years at the Int'l level have come from technicalities from push-outs and clinches. Sure he's been handled a few times as well but the two period grind, and the change in rules particularly as they relate to clinches and push-outs all favor Metcalf who despite losing to Oliver also controlled much of their last match. Just look at the points Metcalf gave up against the Russian at the Rumble on the Rails. They were push-outs. If there is one thing his style of wrestling never fully adapted to it was the BS rules relating to clinches and push-outs.

The question is who is the better wrestler in FS. I say JO. Especially wrestling at a comfortable wgt which he is. Metcalf is a bit large for the weight and he must compete all in one day. Should be fun if it gets to them

The match lasts 6 full minutes, bringing Metcalf's unparalleled gas tank into play. Not that Oliver is a gasser, but Metcalf has one of the best gas tanks we've ever seen.

Ahem.