4awrestler

Gorriaran Award

23 minutes ago, 4awrestler said:

Who are the front runners? Schultz with a couple pins anyone else with more than 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no - 2 is most so far

per stats on trackwrestling link…

2B957D74-19F0-4924-B962-22D391B06E0B.jpeg

Agree.  Thought the same when I checked it last night after semis.  Understood that it’s natty’s….and pins should be harder to come by….but to only have four guys on the final day (so far) with more than just one pin?….that’s crazy.  And the time gap between Schultz and the other three guys is even crazier.  Definitely a weird non-covid year.

so….no, this isn’t the lowest total year, but…..still a downward trend pin?

2021 = 59 total

2020 = COVID cancelled

2019 = 63

2018 = 69

2017 = 70

2016 = 70

2015 = 56 (record low total?)

2014 = 75

2013 = 74

2012 = 79

2011 = not available 

2010 = not available 

2009 = not available 

I like the idea of the award, but it’s kinda been lost to time with how the sport is going.  Pins are hard to at the NCAA tournament level, and the sport made it even less of a priority lately.  Not sure what to do but awarding it to someone with two pins just seems kinda luck of the opponent draw and style matchups more than who is really the best at trying for legit pinning combinations.

If the the change to a 4point near fall was suppose to help improve mat wrestling progression is definitely not been creating more pin attempts. The 4 pointers just seem to be an advantage to those already good at tilting to extend their lead rather than encouraging more legit pinning combinations.  And I was a life long tilter myself, so this takes not coming from a place of bias against it.    

Edited by MadMardigain

If the the change to a 4point near fall was suppose to help improve mat wrestling progression is definitely not been creating more pin attempts. Granted it hard to pin anyone at the NCAA tournament levels, but the 4 pointers just seem to be an advantage to those already good at tilting to extend their lead rather than encouraging more legit pinning combinations.  And I was a life long tilter myself, so this takes not coming from a place of bias against it.    

I think you’re right, I thought it would help the offense which I guess it does in a way as someone who say gets put to their back in the first period puts them in just a little bigger hole. It definitely creates more urgency earlier.

It also creates more stalling from the guy further ahead possibly from just one big move. I’m not sure it’s doing what it was meant to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk