Grecojones

Austin DeSanto appreciation thread

Just now, Grecojones said:

He wasn’t able to capture a title. But I think at the end he earned the respect and admiration of most. The question remains what's next for him? If he continues to mature and hone his focus i think he could do pretty well on the international scene. 

That dump seems like it could rack up points in freestyle. I know he has been doing some BJJ in the off-season which could indicate a transition to MMA at some point but with the way he loves wrestling I think he’ll at least give 2024 a go.

Has done a good job maturing and doing a 180 from his earlier years.  I really felt for him when he lost the other night as I felt he was getting closer and closer to matching RBY.  RBY actually had some positive things to say post match which I really respect from RBY too.  

Edited by tloger

He looked great. Could not have been closer to RBY. 3rd behind him and Fix is good enough for a championship some years. I hope he keeps going, he has not hit his ceiling. He could have a long and accomplished freestyle career. He's as good a college wrestler as Gilman was.

Wasn’t he suspended this year for an altercation with a fan or was that rumor false? 

In terms of international, what are his freestyle results? I haven’t been following him there. It wouldn’t be unprecedented with Gilman’s recent success. 

First saw DeSanto as a frosh when he ran up the score on Micic at the 2017 Cliff Keen Invitational in Vegas.  He was a curiosity to me then.

Later in the season, I saw him as a thug due to his antics at EIWA and NCAA and wrote him off.  He literally stalled his was into a loss in the R12 to cost him becoming an AA.

Wasn't much of a fan of his when he made the transfer to Iowa, due to his continued tantrums in his first couple years with the Hawkeyes.

Have grown to really appreciate him over the past year and a half, as he has certainly matured.  As for his wrestling, mat wrestling was a liability that became a strength for him - you have never have seen him go for a RT point early in his career.  It will be a while before he see someone with that kind of motor again.

He is the epitome of what you can get through hard work.  He isn't the most athletic or talented guy but he willed himself with his work ethic and drive to be a 4x AA and Third Place finisher twice.  #respect

Wasn't a fan of him early on with all the antics, and whatnot, but found myself liking him more, and more as he matured. His motor, and determination is like no other I've ever seen. Gonna miss seeing him out there, and wish him the best. 4xer

One of my favorite Desanto memories is when Nebraska and their bench were being incredibly vocal during one of his matches and Desanto hit a shot, picked the guy up, walked him over to the Nebraska bench, and gave them a thumbs up before putting the guy on his ass and securing the tech fall. 

34 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

One of my favorite Desanto memories is when Nebraska and their bench were being incredibly vocal during one of his matches and Desanto hit a shot, picked the guy up, walked him over to the Nebraska bench, and gave them a thumbs up before putting the guy on his ass and securing the tech fall. 

That's awesome. Is it on Youtube?