Sign in to follow this  
gromit

Scorer's tables during Medal Round

Why on earth do they have the mats configured during the Medal Round so the scorer's tables are right up next to the mats!?  There have been several instances where the offensive wrestler's ability to score a toe drag takedown is negated by the defensive wrestler contacting the table before the action is complete.  I understand this may be unavoidable during the first few sessions, but to continue this into the Sat. morning session is nuts. Spread out and use the space.  The extra floor seats are nothing more than a money grab.  Oh, and by the way, get off my lawn!! ;-)

2 hours ago, GockeS said:

they used to just have 3 mats...in this session... when did they go to four?

I believe in the past they used sort of a zigzag config using four mats. This left more room to push the tables back further away from each mat.

Edited by gromit

NCAA rules require a mat size of 42' x 42' with a minimum wrestling circle of 32'. High School regulation size is 38' x 38' with a minimum 28' wrestling circle.”

Seems like we should be wrestling in smaller areas, not larger ones.  Proximity to the mat of scorer’s table should not directly impact one’s ability to get a takedown on the mat. Agree?

Plenty of examples.  Point is - why couldn’t you get a takedown or closer to securing a takedown in the 32’ allowed inside the circle? Plenty of real estate to work with. I think the other contributor in another thread was correct that we’ve gravitated toward more line wrestling than mat wrestling over the years.

15 hours ago, BamaGrappler said:

NCAA rules require a mat size of 42' x 42' with a minimum wrestling circle of 32'. High School regulation size is 38' x 38' with a minimum 28' wrestling circle.”

Seems like we should be wrestling in smaller areas, not larger ones.  Proximity to the mat of scorer’s table should not directly impact one’s ability to get a takedown on the mat. Agree?

No, but it’s more of a safety issue though.  The tables should be further back.  The college rulebook says the tables need to be 5 feet away from the circle and it is “recommended” to be 8 feet away (I think high school is 10 feet).   The Hidlay/Keckeisen picture may be just barely 5 feet