VakAttack

The lack of importance of the team scoring again put on front Street today

On 4/12/2022 at 7:23 AM, VakAttack said:

A week and this is the best you could come up with? Hemophilia? Damn. #Sad

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It’s called having a life outside of this board, you should try it sometime. You’ll probably have a lot less disappointment in your life since yours revolves around the Iowa Hawkeyes winning the team title.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:20 AM, GockeS said:

so when a team doesn't win the team title, team titles aren't important. individual titles are.

when said team wins a team title, then both are important

False.

Priority number 1 Win individual titles

Priority number 2 Team Title.

Hence individual titles > Team titles.

7 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

It’s called having a life outside of this board, you should try it sometime. You’ll probably have a lot less disappointment in your life since yours revolves around the Iowa Hawkeyes winning the team title.

I have 9300 posts since the board moved over in January of 2010.  You have 8100 since April of 2016.  Tell me more.

27 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I have 9300 posts since the board moved over in January of 2010.  You have 8100 since April of 2016.  Tell me more.

Yes but mine are seasonal and gaps in between.. yours are almost daily and the very least weekly. 

21 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yes but mine are seasonal and gaps in between.. yours are almost daily and the very least weekly. 

"Let me explain to you how me having about 90% as many posts as you in about 50% of the time is evidence of how much more full my life is than yours."  Bro, please stop this.

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Trying to figure out how that makes your situation better. Sadly, I cannot…

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

False.

Priority number 1 Win individual titles

Priority number 2 Team Title.

Hence individual titles > Team titles.

depends on who you are

i think the school wants a team title first

but either way

46l1g9.png

Edited by GockeS

16 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I wish.  That little engine was actually able to get the to finish line.  No matter how long this thread goes, I don't see it actually happening...

I always get amused when people freak out about the idea of doing both

I know of MN that does it that way.   It actually is not freaky at all.  Here in WA, we do it NCAA style.   When I moved to MN from WA years ago, the format really shocked me.   But it makes sense.   I like it.   The problem with the way it is done in MN is that they hold the individual and team championships at the same time.   So if you are on a championship team and are an individual champion, it can be pretty grueling. 

mspart

Lots of moving parts to this one so bear with me. 

Typically there is a weekend in between final competition and conference and then again between conference and nationals. If there could be another gap added before conference. So, last weekend of competition-gap-national duals-gap-conference-gap-nationals. Because, I think we could all agree that at least in the beginning the individual tourney would take precedence to a vast amount of coaches and athletes. Put the duals before all the qualifiers, so if starters can be rested for duals it will not effect their individual goals. 

Next there needs to be fixed location. If not permanently then at least agreed to a few years ahead of time. And this would be a national tournament so, NCAA picking up the tab or at least a high %. Set the criteria for qualifying much like the seeding criteria for the individual tournament. The highest ranked teams in 5 of the 7 conferences get pulled in. Along with the next 3 highest ranked teams. Ranked by record, strength of schedule, and coaches' ranking(team and individual). A handful of teams would know almost certainly that they will get pulled in. Some teams would change their schedules to help their chances. Think EIWA, mostly because they don't have a 'conference' schedule like the other conferences. Not sure how strict The Mac is about conference duals but I guess that's the only other one. Or does the Big 12 insist on a certain # of conference duals? 

But anyway, give it a few years and you'll see some teams gunning for the duals and building their schedules accordingly. Some would do their best to avoid them but not have a choice. 

What do we think? 

1 hour ago, TwoPointTakeDown said:

Lots of moving parts to this one so bear with me. 

Typically there is a weekend in between final competition and conference and then again between conference and nationals. If there could be another gap added before conference. So, last weekend of competition-gap-national duals-gap-conference-gap-nationals. Because, I think we could all agree that at least in the beginning the individual tourney would take precedence to a vast amount of coaches and athletes. Put the duals before all the qualifiers, so if starters can be rested for duals it will not effect their individual goals. 

Next there needs to be fixed location. If not permanently then at least agreed to a few years ahead of time. And this would be a national tournament so, NCAA picking up the tab or at least a high %. Set the criteria for qualifying much like the seeding criteria for the individual tournament. The highest ranked teams in 5 of the 7 conferences get pulled in. Along with the next 3 highest ranked teams. Ranked by record, strength of schedule, and coaches' ranking(team and individual). A handful of teams would know almost certainly that they will get pulled in. Some teams would change their schedules to help their chances. Think EIWA, mostly because they don't have a 'conference' schedule like the other conferences. Not sure how strict The Mac is about conference duals but I guess that's the only other one. Or does the Big 12 insist on a certain # of conference duals? 

But anyway, give it a few years and you'll see some teams gunning for the duals and building their schedules accordingly. Some would do their best to avoid them but not have a choice. 

What do we think? 

You'd need to make the dual tournament the official and only team title, no points scored in the individual tournament.  Else we'd have the same ducking due to concern about injuries going into conference & national tournaments. 

4 hours ago, mspart said:

I know of MN that does it that way.   It actually is not freaky at all.  Here in WA, we do it NCAA style.   When I moved to MN from WA years ago, the format really shocked me.   But it makes sense.   I like it.   The problem with the way it is done in MN is that they hold the individual and team championships at the same time.   So if you are on a championship team and are an individual champion, it can be pretty grueling. 

mspart

It depends on where you are. Places that don’t or didn’t keep track of points at individual state like Illinois or Indiana get very “TRADITION” (insert the fiddler on the roof) About it. 

For hs do both. It lets teams earn success in multiple ways or lets smaller schools have top ten performances if they have some hammers. Doing individual state team points also helps against creating too many classifications because smaller schools have a better chance to get a top 10 or 5 performance. 

For NCAA it’ll only work as two separate seasons 

24 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Never gonna happen. No two team titles is reason #1, and Individual NCAA Tournament is not going to be replaced is #2.

I said the only way it’ll work is that. Not that it will happen. 

On 3/19/2022 at 2:53 PM, VakAttack said:

Penn State won the team title 2 hours ago in front of me and about 3k people. It's silly and detrimental to the sport. Dual tournament should decide the team title.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nope.
Dual tournament to decide a dual team title. Will it be Double Elimination as it is for NCAA's now?

Individual for NCAA title as it is now.