Sign in to follow this  
DoubleHalf

Anyone else the only one in their family into wrestling?

Just wanted to see if there are others like me out there who's wife or other family members never have really been around the sport aside from what I/you have exposed them too? Aside from my dad in my family everyone else rolls their eyes every weekend when I'm glued to the tv watching college/ highschool/ international wrestling. Wife comes from a hockey family so I get ribbed a bit about wrestling but I think I'm starting to rub off on some of them and I get the occasional text "hey, did you know ncaa wrestling is on ESPN right now?"

Me,   I have 1 cousin who wrestled in High School,  No one else in my has even gone to an Amateur Wrestling Meet or Invitational even to watch.

Edited by dougb

I try to put myself in their shoes when I'm watching it and but they always say it just looks like two guys pushing each other and hitting each other in the head u til you get the occasional Andonian/Gomez match and they're like "whoa!" 

1 hour ago, scribe said:

So this means your total household knows nothing about wrestling

Well, they all read your posts so that makes them dumber, which happens to everyone who reads your sad, pathetic scribblings.

I’m pretty much the only one interested in it other than my uncle who is just a casual fan these days.  I may get my younger son into it own of these days, but he hasn’t caught the bug yet. I did ship my family off to Florida for Spring Break so they wouldn’t bother me for tonight’s festivities. 

Only wrestler in my family. Most major tournaments like nationals or the Olympics my wife will sit and watch for a bit. She recognizes and points out Cael Sanderson and Jordan Burroughs without me saying anything.

One day I hope I can get a bunch of like minded people together for a finals similar to a Super Bowl party. Love this sport so much. Tried to convince my wife tonight our kids (2 year old girl & 5 month old boy) can be smart and great athletes and I think I got her on board to have to nudge them towards wrestling and potentially an ivy school haha

I am the only one in my family who wrestled. Tried to get my two sons into it, but they had no interest. My older boy will watch with me for awhile and appreciates some aspects. He knows some of the names. He gives an interesting perspective of a sports fan who watches some wrestling. Unprompted he said mat wrestling and riding is boring. He stopped watching during the 184 match

My future wife and I had been dating for about 7 months when the Natty came up. Happened to be the year Dake and Taylor wrestled and I didn’t have any way to record TV. 

Her parents decided to have a family dinner the same night and I told her the only way I was going is if I could watch wrestling. The entire family watched wresting that night with absolutely no clue what was going on. 

8 minutes ago, Jim L said:

To avoid watching Dean win for PSU or just to avoid watching Dean (and Warner) wrestle?

Wait, did Warner actually do any wrestling?  Or did Dean for that matter!?  Dang... I should have watched then! :-D