Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Crazy Kizhan Clarke

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

Let’s go with the fact the commentators only have seconds to convey information.  Odds are after a bigger conversation Lee’s dad offered to connection him with the firms he’s a part of for a  interview if he was interested.  DC likely got the information secondhand from someone backstage and shortened it to offering him a job.  This type of networking happens all the time when business and industry events happen and you run into people you have a feeling could help your company.  It’s then up to them to follow through of the connection and then show in the interview they should be hired. 

Hey I get it. Like I said, if Lee or Clarke want to work for me I’d definitely give them an interview.

9 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Why wouldn’t he think his firm could benifit from interviewing someone like Clarke for a job?  You are acting like it’s a hollow gesture just to create this negative narrative.  Sad.  People on here always talk about how wrestlers are able to make some of the hard working and best employees. And how our small brotherhood should stick together.  But your out here trying to act like it’s was some type of slap in the face to Clarke.  It wasn’t offered like that and I don’t know Clarke but I doubt he took it that way.  I’m not sure hardly anyone did but you.. I’m done with this one you’ve now managed to make this post into a negative narrative as well. 

Trust me when I tell you this, what’s happening on this post is much more of a reflection on certain posters personal lives and the opportunities they never got, than a reflection on Clarke or Chris Lee. I wouldn’t sweat it or argue with them anymore. 

1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

Trust me when I tell you this, what’s happening on this post is much more of a reflection on certain posters personal lives and the opportunities they never got, than a reflection on Clarke or Chris Lee. I wouldn’t sweat it or argue with them anymore. 

you sound like a particularly wise person

31 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Knows nothing about his grades or anything related to his actual academic pursuits but offers him a job for participating in a match… 

And you know that how?

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

If Clarke won, would he still have received the job offer?

I’m guessing it was an internship offer. It’s exceedingly impressive to be an NCAA runner up while also being a law student, and I’m sure Lee’s dad understands that.

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

I’m guessing it was an internship offer. It’s exceedingly impressive to be an NCAA runner up while also being a law student, and I’m sure Lee’s dad understands that.

So full time employment offer if he won?

6 minutes ago, Jim L said:

So full time employment offer if he won?

I think an announcer said he was a second year law student, which means he will not have a law degree until spring 2023, and won’t take the bar until summer 2023.  So full-time employment as a lawyer seems premature at this point. 

I don't know what really happened here but let me fill in some gaps.

Mr. Lee is a partner at an IN office of a sizeable national law firm.  A firm that size does most of its hiring from participants in a summer clerkship program between a law student's second and third year.  Law students know this is how hiring is done at larger firms, so such spots are highly coveted.  Hiring season for such positions for current 2nd year (2L) students passed nearly 6 months ago, though, and even if it hadn't, there's no way that Mr. Lee would have unchecked authority to make job offers in a firm that size.  That's just not how it works.  So there's a 0% chance that happened. 

But slots can arise unexpectedly, and most lawyers know other lawyers with different hiring needs and timetables. So it is very easy to see Mr. Lee saying hey, if you're still looking for a 2L job, shoot me your resume, I'll go to bat for you if there's anything that opens up, or ask around for you.  It makes good sense too, as UNC is a strong law school, Clarke's a minority (highly sought after by law firms), and he made the finals while carrying a 2L courseload, which is remarkable.  And if Clarke's academic record is strong, he might be doing Lee more of a favor by considering his firm than Lee is doing Clarke -- which I'm sure Lee would readily concede.

So while I have no first hand knowledge here, I'd bet a fair sum it was closer to a perfectly normal "send me your resume" moment which someone overheard or caught wind of, it got misreported on ESPN, and now its getting kicked around on message boards.  

15 hours ago, NJDan said:

Not only did he go from American U to UNC, he is in law school and wrestling TWO WEIGHTS DOWN from 157, which he competed in as redshirt sophomore in 2018-2019.

Also didn’t start wrestling until high school 

43 minutes ago, BAC said:

Mr. Lee is a partner at an IN office of a sizeable national law firm.  A firm that size does most of its hiring from participants in a summer clerkship program between a law student's second and third year.  Law students know this is how hiring is done at larger firms, so such spots are highly coveted.  Hiring season for such positions for current 2nd year (2L) students passed nearly 6 months ago, though, and even if it hadn't, there's no way that Mr. Lee would have unchecked authority to make job offers in a firm that size.  That's just not how it works.  So there's a 0% chance that happened. 

But slots can arise unexpectedly, and most lawyers know other lawyers with different hiring needs and timetables. So it is very easy to see Mr. Lee saying hey, if you're still looking for a 2L job, shoot me your resume, I'll go to bat for you if there's anything that opens up, or ask around for you.  It makes good sense too, as UNC is a strong law school, Clarke's a minority (highly sought after by law firms), and he made the finals while carrying a 2L courseload, which is remarkable.  And if Clarke's academic record is strong, he might be doing Lee more of a favor by considering his firm than Lee is doing Clarke -- which I'm sure Lee would readily concede.

So while I have no first hand knowledge here, I'd bet a fair sum it was closer to a perfectly normal "send me your resume" moment which someone overheard or caught wind of, it got misreported on ESPN, and now its getting kicked around on message boards.  

Thank you. I believe you're the person who also helped clarify my argument that undergrad school didn't matter much in law school admissions, when the "experts" on here were telling me that of course it did. I have been going through all this vicariously through my son (brag: an ex-D3 wrestler now a 1l at HLS) and it's interesting how little the general public knows of the whole process.

3 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Thank you. I believe you're the person who also helped clarify my argument that undergrad school didn't matter much in law school admissions, when the "experts" on here were telling me that of course it did. I have been going through all this vicariously through my son (brag: an ex-D3 wrestler now a 1l at HLS) and it's interesting how little the general public knows of the whole process.

Congrats to you and your son.  Tell him to send me his resume.  ;-)

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Yes. My dad was a partner in a large law firm. If he happened to meet a classmate of mine who was attending a top law school he would tell them to send him a resume-- even if they had not just come out of a national championship wrestling match.