Lurker

Folkstyle wrestling

Folkstyle is great, it will aways be a few tweaks away from perfect, but that's just the evolution of the sport.

We'll probably see some rules about top stalling come into effect soon enough, and I'd be shocked if the OT rideouts stay the same, but other than that I don't really have a complaint.

34 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Iowa msg board HR has a similar thread.

I call these threads the we can't beat them so let's change all the rules threads.

Iowa wants to switch to freestyle? Their guys don’t ever wrestle freestyle. 

9 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I call these threads the we can't beat them so let's change all the rules threads.

I have no ‘team’ or allegiance to any team. You probably know that. 

Don’t understand the hate for too wrestling. It’s not like we see more then four legit engagements from the feet. What difference is laying on top of each other and standing and staring at each other?

I do like these two adjustments:

Freestyle push out rule

- We all love the takedown on the edge, dragging one two, and yelling TWOOO! But seeing guys back pedal to the line, circle at the last second and take a fake shot is absurd

No riding time point without back points

- That’s the point of top wrestling so encourage it more. Also, be more aggressive calling stalling on the mat. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I have no ‘team’ or allegiance to any team. You probably know that. 

I am not claiming you have anything here other than a common idea with some msg board warriors on HR. And apparantly Spencer Lee and his beat up knees hates folkstyle too. 

Edited by TBar1977

11 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Except that makes no sense because Iowa is even worse at Freestyle than they are at Folkstyle.  Most of their guys don't even bother wrestling it, and there are no stall calls, so they'd be completely SOL with their #1 way of scoring points.  Maybe the posters there just recognize that freestyle is the better/more exciting style?  And even though PSU will likely do even better with this change, at least it may force Iowa to wrestle more offensively. 

40 minutes ago, ppitts71 said:

Don’t understand the hate for too wrestling. It’s not like we see more then four legit engagements from the feet. What difference is laying on top of each other and standing and staring at each other?

Freestyle push out rule

- We all love the takedown on the edge, dragging one two, and yelling TWOOO! But seeing guys back pedal to the line, circle at the last second and take a fake shot is absurd

- That’s the point of top wrestling so encourage it more. Also, be more aggressive calling stalling on the mat. 

The freestyle takedown rule is much better where you’re allowed to finish a move out of bounds. That’s way better than the ****ty drag the guy by the shoe technique. I’m not sure how practical it is though-do all D1 schools have big enough mats? 

2 hours ago, ppitts71 said:

Freestyle push out rule

I absolutely agree on the riding time point. Though I’ve seen idiots suggest giving no points for escapes

The announced attendance for all 6 sessions was 106,000 right ?   Someone have handy the attendance figures for the us open or the wtt trials.   All that awesome action likely brings the fans right ?

Not really a fair comparison as you have folkstyle tied to college wrestling and club wrestling that has much less of a following tied to freestyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do 18000 people attend any session of wtt or the us open ?

Again if it were freestyle was tied to college and folkstyle tied to wtt or us open would the results be flip flopped is my point. I think if freestyle were tied to college wrestling attendance wouldn’t magically drop to what wtt and us open attendance is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrestlers across the spectrum have gamed the system too much.  Penn State guys game the top wrestling.  Iowa guys game the push out rule.  Lots of guys game the 5 count leg thing, but the first team I saw doing it a lot was Okie State.  The product is just not as fun to watch as it was even a couple of years ago.  It's supposed to be, first and foremost, entertainment.  I still love wrestling because I'll always love wrestling, but that doesn't mean we can't try to improve the product.

14 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

That's because you literally can only view things thru one prism.  Is Willie Saylor an Iowa guy now, too?  Some evidence you have that a switch to freestyle or more freestyle adjacent rules would be some huge boon to Iowa?  I don't know if you've noticed, but our sport is dying.  We lose teams, we don't gain them.  If we keep doing things the same way we've been doing them, there is an inevitable conclusion.

Edited by VakAttack

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Wrestlers across the spectrum have gamed the system too much.  Penn State guys game the top wrestling.  Iowa guys game the push out rule.  Lots of guys game the 5 count leg thing, but the first team I saw doing it a lot was Okie State.  The product is just not as fun to watch as it was even a couple of years ago.  It's supposed to be, first and foremost, entertainment.  I still love wrestling because I'll always love wrestling, but that doesn't mean we can't try to improve the product.

That's because you literally can only view things thru one prism.  Is Willie Saylor an Iowa guy now, too?  Some evidence you have that a switch to freestyle or more freestyle adjacent rules would be some huge boon to Iowa?  I don't know if you've noticed, but our sport is dying.  We lose teams, we don't gain them.  If we keep doing things the same way we've been doing them, there is an inevitable conclusion.

I agree with mostly everything you wrote except this. Its not supposed to be entertainment first and foremost. Its supposed to be a legitmate and fair competition. The entertainment part comes AFTER that.