Katie

Pound-for-pound top ten for 2022

2 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

Why do we put a guy (Amine) that has never won a title on these lists?

So you can't be better than champs at other weights, regardless if you beat a top 5 guy lb for lb 1 out of 3 and just so happen to be an Olympic medalist?

On 3/19/2022 at 11:49 PM, Katie said:

My opinion, as crappy as it might be:

1. Gable

2. RBY

3. Brooks

4. Yianni

5. Starocci

6. M. Amine

7. Suriano

8. Lee

9. Deakin

10. Lewis

Yianni behind Brooks and RBY?  Don't get it???  Big Penn State fan?

10 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

Why do we put a guy (Amine) that has never won a title on these lists?

Not all weights are equal. He's only taken L's to NCAA Champs in March. Over half of his career losses are to either Zahid or Mark Hall. He's a world class wrestler with some pretty good wins. 

8 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

So you can't be better than champs at other weights, regardless if you beat a top 5 guy lb for lb 1 out of 3 and just so happen to be an Olympic medalist?

You can be, but I don't think he is.  My expectations for an Olympic medalist are to win NCAA's.  I mean, he has an Olympic medal, but could only get one takedown on Truax?  couldn't beat Brooks when it mattered?  So yes, I think all 10 champs are better folkstyle wrestlers than Amine.  

6 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Not all weights are equal. He's only taken L's to NCAA Champs in March. Over half of his career losses are to either Zahid or Mark Hall. He's a world class wrestler with some pretty good wins. 

And he could never get it done when it mattered most.  Same for Daton Fix at this point.

17 minutes ago, RED said:

Yianni behind Brooks and RBY?  Don't get it???  Big Penn State fan?

Fair point. I thought RBY and Brooks beat tougher competition, but that shouldn’t actually matter.  I’ll put Yianni above Brooks, but my gut feeling continues to be that RBY is slightly better. 

Edited by Katie

34 minutes ago, gallison said:

Amateur Wrestling News will present The Hammer, its annual award, to the University of Missouri’s Keegan O’Toole.

The award is presented to the wrestler who wins the national title at what the writers at AWN determine to be the most competitive weight class.

O’Toole won the 165-pound title this year in Detroit, defeating Stanford’s Shane Griffith in the finals. Griffith was the defending champion, and the 2021 NCAA Tournament’s Outstanding Wrestler. There were nine returning All Americans at the weight. O’Toole finished the season undefeated at 25-0.

149 also had nine returning All Americans, and Yianni finished at 28-0.  He had the misfortune of *being* a returning champion, so didn't get to beat one.  One could say that his dominance of that weight class made it less competitive.  Not to take anything away from the impressive performance of O'Toole!

Edited by klehner