Jump to content
nhs67

Next Year Impact: Weight Changes, Redshirt, True Frosh?

Recommended Posts

Greetings all!  Who do we think will change weight classes for next year and immediately be AA caliber?  Same question for who us coming off redshirt or will be true frosh?  

We saw Hidlay- NC State (+2), Clarke - UNC (-1), Lewis - VTech (+1), Truax - Cal Poly (+1), Dean - Penn State (+1), Suriano - UofM (-1), Davison - NW (+1) and many others change weight classes and find success.

We didn't see too many come off shirt and do it due to covid stuffs.

I will start us out.

Who I think will change weight classes and have an impact:

Carr - ISU (+1 to 165), Teemer - ASU (+1 to 165), Andonian (+1 to 157), Bartlett - PSU (-1 to 141), Labriola - NEB (+1 to 184)

I have others, but think this is a fair start.

Who I want to see change, but doubt they will:

Malczewski - MSU (-1 to 174), Caffey - MSU (-1 to 184), Norfleet - ASU (-1 to 184), Lewis - VTech (-1 to 165), Diakomaholis - Cornell (-1 to 141), Fix - tOSU (+1 to 141), McHenry - UofM (+1 to 125)

Who is coming off Reshirt and will have an impact:

Lamer - UofM (141), VanNess - PSU (149), Facundo - PSU (165), Kennedy - Iowa (165), Henson - Iowa (141), Gallagher - tOSU (157), Ruth - ILL (174)

I suppose I should also count Lee (125), Schriever (133), and Brands (174) of Iowa coming off injury as well in there.  Focus as well, yeah?

True Frosh that I believe would have immediate impacts:

Haines - PSU (157), Bouzakis - tOSU (133), Mendez - tOSU (141), Swiderski - ISU (149), Rojas - ISU (174)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

True Frosh that I believe would have immediate impacts:

Haines - PSU (157), Bouzakis - tOSU (133), Mendez - tOSU (141), Swiderski - ISU (149), Rojas - ISU (174)

I believe Mendez RS's. I have Bouzakis at 33 and Paddy at 57. The rest of the lineup stays the same...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am not sure - good question.   I thought he was at 174 and they talked about pulling his RS since ASU was weak there this year but they held off.  

He won’t be an auto-loss but he isn’t scoring many points for them. Very low seed and will likely give up pins to a LOT of people if he doesn’t get a lot better on bottom.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carr might go up to 165?  I think he looked small at 157.  I guess it would be to prep for his Olympic weight class?

I would rather see Yianni move up than down.  I would think up would be more likely ala Dake to prove he is best regardless of weight class.  But I don't know if there are team implications that suggest a move down is better.

Edited by Broomstick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict Griffith will move up to 174. He was injured this year and tested the waters at 174 when he came back. I thought he was going to stay there. He also planned to move up this year before the season but stayed down. 
 

I also predict Vito will move up. With Lee coming back, Yianni’s brother having another year to bulk up to be serviceable at 125, and watching Yianni’s success up a weight while focused on getting better and not cutting weight, I see Vito at 133. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

Carr might go up to 165?  I think he looked small at 157.  I guess it would be to prep for his Olympic weight class?

I would rather see Yianni move up than down.  I would think up would be more likely ala Dake to prove he is best regardless of weight class.  But I don't know if there are team implications that suggest a move down is better.

I do think Carr goes up to prep for Oly Trials.

I want Johnny D down.  He looked soft at 149, but more importantly I think if he is making 141 all season that his 65kg (~143.3lbs) performance is likely to be better for Oly trials.  I don't know, but he doesn't look like he has ever needed to cut weight.

Opposite for Arujau. I think pulling to 125 all season will hurt his decelopment.  A two weigh-in weekend for him is probably better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

Does Fix have eligibility left?   If so, thoughts on his weight class. 

2 more years.  OP has him moving up but I don’t think so since I’d bet he wants to stay at 57 for international (edit: sorry that was just the “want to but doubt they will” list)

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

Does Fix have eligibility left?   If so, thoughts on his weight class. 

I want to see him give a real go at an Oly weight and I don't want to see 57kg Fix again after seeing 61kg Fix.  So the answer is 65kg (for me).  Perhaps he goes 133 next season and ofnhe decides on an additional year after that he goes 141 in preparation for 65kg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

I am not sure - good question.   I thought he was at 174 and they talked about pulling his RS since ASU was weak there this year but they held off.  

I think Zeke knew what he was doing. They had no reason to pull him and knew that next year they would bring everybody back except his brother. Don't forget they also get Vasquez back from injury who was looking very good and was being talked as a legitimate AA threat. They will be pretty fortified from 25 to 57 next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I believe Mendez RS's. I have Bouzakis at 33 and Paddy at 57. The rest of the lineup stays the same...

If Feldman is beating Orndorff solidly and it looks like he can compete with the top guys do they pull his RS and upgrade? Same with Mendez at 141?  - They have 6 returning AAs (includes Orndorf's 8 from 2021) - If Bouzakis, Gallagher, Mendez & Feldman can get them to a team title do you still let them RS?  The last time Ryan had to answer that question he wrestled Snyder, & Nato and it paid off big time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

If Bouzakis, Gallagher, Mendez & Feldman can get them to a team title do you still let them RS?  The last time Ryan had to answer that question he wrestled Snyder, & Nato and it paid off big time.

I just don't see it. I see them keeping those guys together, but who knows. Who did  Kyle replace as freshman?

NATO was RS freshman in 2015. Kyle was a true freshman

Edited by Mphillips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I think Zeke knew what he was doing. They had no reason to pull him and knew that next year they would bring everybody back except his brother. Don't forget they also get Vasquez back from injury who was looking very good and was being talked as a legitimate AA threat. They will be pretty fortified from 25 to 57 next year. 

I think Valencia is 174. Fagan will be back to wrestle 184. Norfleet needs to go back and watch every match of his from 2019-20. He was on another level. Thought Teemer would move up, but it won’t happen this year I don’t think. My prediction is Figs beats Courtney. Maybe a transfer at the 165 and/or 184. 

Another good recruiting class coming in this year. Need to add a very top recruit in 2023. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...