nhs67

Next Year Impact: Weight Changes, Redshirt, True Frosh?

Just now, Mphillips said:

I just don't see it. I see them keeping those guys together, but who knows. Who did NATO and Kyle replace as freshman?

I do not know who Nato and Kyle knocked out of the lineup in 2015 but I am not sure that matters all that much.  The main question will be how well can the new stars compete with the best guys at their weights and can using them put Ohio State in contention for a title.  I think Feldman will be ready to compete for high AA honors next year evean with the beasts that are coming back at 285.  How he is doing in the room against Orndorff and Kollin Moore will tell them a lot about his chances.  I am less convinced about Mendez but if he beating D'Emilio badly they will have to look at that.  I would not bet on that happening though.

11 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I do not know who Nato and Kyle knocked out of the lineup in 2015 but I am not sure that matters all that much.  The main question will be how well can the new stars compete with the best guys at their weights and can using them put Ohio State in contention for a title.  I think Feldman will be ready to compete for high AA honors next year evean with the beasts that are coming back at 285.  How he is doing in the room against Orndorff and Kollin Moore will tell them a lot about his chances.  I am less convinced about Mendez but if he beating D'Emilio badly they will have to look at that.  I would not bet on that happening though.

NATO was RS Freshman in 2015. Kyle was a true freshman. OSU will not be in a title race next season...

Feldman? Maybe, but Amos comes to mind immediately.

Edited by Mphillips

If I’m Ohio State I’m thinking about upgrading 125 it at all possible, Heinselman is skilled and wrestles hard but always loses to stronger guys when it matters the most. 

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Bouzakis  wrestle 133.

there is also rumblings of Sasso struggling to make 149. 

Gallagher is a big 157 and Kharchla is short yes, but i think could AA at 174. 

i think there is potential for a lot of movement in Columbus 

I will be a bit surprised if Labriola moves up - Nebraska has some young studs that could make an impact right away at 184 and 197 - they have Hass and Pinto that could start at 184 and Alred set to go at 197.  If Mike L does decide to move up I guess Pinto might be able to cut to 174.

9 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

If I’m Ohio State I’m thinking about upgrading 125 it at all possible, Heinselman is skilled and wrestles hard but always loses to stronger guys when it matters the most. 

Kharchla moving up would mess with their lineup a bit as they have returning/past AAs at 165 through 197.  One of their AAs would lose that musical chairs game.  A big piece for Ohio St will be if Hoffman can perform consistently like he did at NCAAs.  He took a jump there and he will have to keep going at that level.

Edited by lu1979

Just now, lu1979 said:

Kharchla moving up would mess with their lineup a bit as they have returning/past AAs at 165 through 197.  One of their AAs would lose that musical chairs game.  

It doesn't happen. Not next year anyway.

58 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

NATO was RS Freshman in 2015. Kyle was a true freshman. OSU will not be in a title race next season...

Feldman? Maybe, but Amos comes to mind immediately.

No one but PSU will be in a title race for at least the next 2 seasons…

Does tOSU have many recruits for the younger classes?  Smith and Romero only have 1 year left right?  Will tOSU be able to improve on those weights after they graduate?  (And then of course after next year Sasso will only have 1 year left)

Heinselman

Bouzakis

D’Emilio

Sasso

Gallagher

Kharchla

Smith

Romero

Hoffman

Orndorff

is basically a team full of at least R16 type guys and maybe 7 or 8 AA’s depending on how good the freshmen are and how the other guys perform.  They won’t beat PSU, but could get a trophy.

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

I think Valencia is 174. Fagan will be back to wrestle 184. Norfleet needs to go back and watch every match of his from 2019-20. He was on another level. Thought Teemer would move up, but it won’t happen this year I don’t think. My prediction is Figs beats Courtney. Maybe a transfer at the 165 and/or 184. 

Another good recruiting class coming in this year. Need to add a very top recruit in 2023. 

Been hearing there is an impact transfer possibly on the way. 

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

I just don't see it. I see them keeping those guys together, but who knows. Who did  Kyle replace as freshman?

NATO was RS freshman in 2015. Kyle was a true freshman

Snyder didn’t really replace anyone out of the gate in 2014-15. He wrestled their first duals in early Nov. and was talking over 197 for Nick Heflin who’d finished his career in 13-14’ as runner up to Cox.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I want Johnny D down.  He looked soft at 149, but more importantly I think if he is making 141 all season that his 65kg (~143.3lbs) performance is likely to be better for Oly trials.  I don't know, but he doesn't look like he has ever needed to cut weight.

I doubt Yianni goes down. He spoke in post-match interviews about how the higher weight allowed him to train harder, reduce injuries, and in general just avoid focusing on the weight. Big difference cutting a couple of times for international competition and cutting every week for the NCAA season. He is committed to making an Olympic team which means he is 65kg or bust. Zero chance he goes 74kg - not big enough and we already have two of our all-time greats who will be aiming for that slot.

6 hours ago, Riz23 said:

Malik is too small and too weak...sorry to say it but it's the truth. Immensely skilled but lacking BIGTIME in horsepower. He is  1-2 in 3 straight NCAA appearances and hasn't really improved at all in 4 years. He's the starter next year if they don't go all in though....if U want to compete for titles though u must replace him.

5 hours ago, potentiallydangerous said:

Wisconsin has a 133 lb coming in from Poway who placed 3 or 4 in California, Brock Bobzien, not sure if he is ready to make any impact.

They also have Rowley coming in, could he start next year? I'm curious if Hamiti will ever move up to 174, seems like he might have the frame for it.

5 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Buckeye incoming.

No. 1 Mendez 141.  No. 2 Bouzakis 133.  No. 3 Feldman 285.   No.19 Shumate197. No. 45 Geog 174.  Brown 149. (Top 40 recruit)

Geog is gonna be the guy that no one saw coming. His best wrestling is ahead of him...reminds me a lot of Kollin Moore

Edited by DocBZ

12 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Malik is too small and too weak...sorry to say it but it's the truth. Immensely skilled but lacking BIGTIME in horsepower. He is  1-2 in 3 straight NCAA appearances and hasn't really improved at all in 4 years. He's the starter next year if they don't go all in though....if U want to compete for titles though u must replace him.

With who?  He only has 1 year left, who are you getting that’s immediately better than him?  He hasn’t put together a good tournament yet, but I think it’s more just because there’s so much parity at 125 than Heinselman being “too weak.”

Edited by 1032004