nhs67

Next Year Impact: Weight Changes, Redshirt, True Frosh?

27 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

With who?  He only has 1 year left, who are you getting that’s immediately better than him?  He hasn’t put together a good tournament yet, but I think it’s more just because there’s so much parity at 125 than Heinselman being “too weak.”

Malik gets pushed around by stronger guys who he is more skilled than, call it a bad draw or whatever it’s just a fact.

i like how Malik wrestles and I do think he’s improved but a name that comes to mind is Stevo Poulin.

or even a kid that took a redshirt this year Andre Gonzalez who wrestled up at 133 in opens and did well.

if he’s not wrestling 133 next year I would love to see if he is better than Malik at 125

31 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Geog is gonna be the guy that no one saw coming. His best wrestling is ahead of him...reminds me a lot of Kollin Moore

Agreed on Geog. Ohio wrestling folks know Geog.  I would hope that all the guys have their best wrestling ahead of them...

I think Malik has definitely improved. He just hasn't AA'd.  I can't see next year being an, "all in" year. The same team with an upgrade at 33 and 57.

1 hour ago, DocBZ said:

Geog is gonna be the guy that no one saw coming. His best wrestling is ahead of him...reminds me a lot of Kollin Moore

He beat Rojas a week after he (Rojas) took second at Midlands (Matman Open) as a High Schooler.  He should not surprise anybody.

39 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

Malik gets pushed around by stronger guys who he is more skilled than, call it a bad draw or whatever it’s just a fact.

i like how Malik wrestles and I do think he’s improved but a name that comes to mind is Stevo Poulin.

or even a kid that took a redshirt this year Andre Gonzalez who wrestled up at 133 in opens and did well.

if he’s not wrestling 133 next year I would love to see if he is better than Malik at 125

Poulin maybe, forgot he was in the portal.

Gonzales lost to guys from Indiana Tech and Chicago, I doubt he’s beating Heinselman even if he cuts to 125

Edit;  just in the past 2 seasons Heinselman has beaten some “strong” guys, including Latona, Barnett and Foley.

Edited by 1032004

Good topic, I think the tOSU hammers do some college opens and see how the rest of the team is doing, I think the shirts are all or nothing for the three of them. If they have a shot, they pull the shirts after Christmas 

8 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

Good topic, I think the tOSU hammers do some college opens and see how the rest of the team is doing, I think the shirts are all or nothing for the three of them. If they have a shot, they pull the shirts after Christmas 

Have a shot at what?

IMO whether you think you can beat Penn State next year or not doesn’t matter, you have to run out a team that you feel confident will finish Top 5 or maybe Top 3.

that has been the standard TR set at Ohio State it’s now been 2 years of not great. 

Ideally you don’t have to separate this incoming recruiting class and Gallagher stepping in at 157 and maybe figure something out than can go 1-2 or 2-2 at NCAAs at 133 should do it. 

i could be wrong but I think a decent amount of 141 pounders could be moving on so maybe Dylan D can jump to an AA, I will say later in the year especially he got better on top and I think that has alot to do with Logan Steiber 

I don’t think tOSU, even if they went with all of the best guys at every weight next year, goes top 4.

Their best wrestler is Sasso. He’s very likely limited to 3rd at either 149 or 157. If he goes up, they have roster problems. Kharchla, Smith, Romero, Hoffman to fill 174, 184 and 197. I think most of those guys are at or near their point potential, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Poulin maybe, forgot he was in the portal.

Gonzales lost to guys from Indiana Tech and Chicago, I doubt he’s beating Heinselman even if he cuts to 125

Edit;  just in the past 2 seasons Heinselman has beaten some “strong” guys, including Latona, Barnett and Foley.

I do not have any inside info but I expect that Poulin is leaving NC St because it does not look like he will be able to take the spot from Camacho who has 2 years left.  Heinselman and Camacho are very comparable in ability - both were knocked out of this years tournament by Wisconsin's Barnett.  Poulin would be a good long term pick up but I don't think he will be an upgrade for Malik for next season.  He could be a successor though.  

19 hours ago, Mphillips said:

"Does anybody remember laughter?" ~ Robert Plant.

Do you know he cringes when he hears that?  He was interviewed on it and he had no idea why he said that.

18 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

The new guys at PSU will be Bartlett moving down a weight, and then Howard, SVN,  Haines and Facundo cracking the line up. 

Im excited to see these guys. 

PSU has now proven their craziness 3 class generations in a row. They still have some time (at least 1 more year) until they lose a couple champs. I think SVN in particular could be a title level guy quickly. 

Fix isn't going 141, he would be more likely to go 125 but for lineup reasons Mastro is a fringe AA at 125 and a good dual meet guy and 141 is Carter Young who considers Fix like a big brother so he isn't going to move up and steal his spot.  Carter has a lot of potential, hopefully he gets stronger and can make a little run next year, he was really a 33lber wrestling up this year and it showed

9 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I do not have any inside info but I expect that Poulin is leaving NC St because it does not look like he will be able to take the spot from Camacho who has 2 years left.  Heinselman and Camacho are very comparable in ability - both were knocked out of this years tournament by Wisconsin's Barnett.  Poulin would be a good long term pick up but I don't think he will be an upgrade for Malik for next season.  He could be a successor though.  

Agreed.  He might be comparable to Heinselman, but not much of an upgrade if  at all for next season.  And it’s rare for guys of his caliber to be in the portal.   Just seems weird if tOSU fans want to “replace” Heinselman considering he only has 1 year left and the chances are pretty slim of finding someone better than him for the 2022-2023 season.

15 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Agreed.  He might be comparable to Heinselman, but not much of an upgrade if  at all for next season.  And it’s rare for guys of his caliber to be in the portal.   Just seems weird if tOSU fans want to “replace” Heinselman considering he only has 1 year left and the chances are pretty slim of finding someone better than him for the 2022-2023 season.

I don’t want them to replace Malik I want him to do better than 1-2 at NCAA’s lol 

but my point is at this point they should be looking to upgrade like everybody else does with the transfer portal.

If Poulin is leaving because he’s not better than Camacho then I agree he’s probably not the answer 

12 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

I don’t want them to replace Malik I want him to do better than 1-2 at NCAA’s lol 

but my point is at this point they should be looking to upgrade like everybody else does with the transfer portal.

If Poulin is leaving because he’s not better than Camacho then I agree he’s probably not the answer 

Well sure, if an All American enters the portal they’d probably be interested.  But that’s about the only way you improve on Malik for next season.

Virginia Tech next year:

125- Cooper Flynn or Eddie Ventresca

133- Sam Latona bumps up. AA in 2021, lost in the blood round this year. Really struggled with the weight early in the season. Will move up with Korbin Meyers done.

141- Sam Hillegas returns from injury. Will have 4 years of eligbility remaining.

149- Bryce Andonian. So excited to watch him for 2 more years. So entertaining. Some rumors of him bumping up 157 but from the people I've talked to they don't think that is accurate.

157- Connor Brady, NCAA qualifier. Big, strong, athletic kid who needs to get more aggressive.

165- Clayton Ulrey

174- Mekhi Lewis. Really looking forward to seeing him and Starocci go after it again.

184- Trey Kibe will replace Hunter Bolen

197- Dakota Howard (potentially TJ Stewart as a true freshmen)

285- Hunter Catka returns to the lineup with 4 more years after redshirting this year and losing in the blood round in 2021 (free season).