nhs67

Next Year Impact: Weight Changes, Redshirt, True Frosh?

1 hour ago, Riz23 said:

I don’t want them to replace Malik I want him to do better than 1-2 at NCAA’s lol 

but my point is at this point they should be looking to upgrade like everybody else does with the transfer portal.

If Poulin is leaving because he’s not better than Camacho then I agree he’s probably not the answer 

Not everyone will AA, Malik is an AA caliber wrestler a lot of it comes down to the draw and where you fall in wrestle backs.  The improvements he has made since his freshman year when he was getting hammered is incredible, and I'm not a Buckeye fan.  He's not gonna win a national title but he can and probably will be an AA next year

15 hours ago, 1032004 said:

With who?  He only has 1 year left, who are you getting that’s immediately better than him?  He hasn’t put together a good tournament yet, but I think it’s more just because there’s so much parity at 125 than Heinselman being “too weak.”

You get a transfer. Malik scored 0.5 points at NCAA's...that's barely better than not even qualifying the weight.

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I feel like Malik is getting too much crap. He can AA next year. The weight has a ton of parity. If they wrestle that tournament again today, he might AA

Vito, Glory, Courtney, Cardinale, Noto, Camacho, Barnett, Lamont, DeAugustino, Teske, Mastrogiovani all coming back. That's 11 and I don't see Malik beating any of them. Plus add to that list the true freshman and RS freshman that didn't wrestle this year.

Could he AA? Sure it's possible...look at Gavin Hoffman this year. Is it probable? Definitely not IMO.

Edited by DocBZ

1 minute ago, DocBZ said:

Vito, Glory, Courtney, Cardinale, Noto, Camacho, Barnett, Lamont, DeAugustino, Teske, Mastrogiovani all coming back. That's 11 and I don't see Malik beating any of them. Plus add to that list the true freshman and RS freshman that didn't wrestle this year.

Kaylor ….

2 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Could he AA? Sure it's possible...look at Gavin Hoffman this year. Is it probable? Definitely not IMO.

McKee, Spencer Lee

2 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

McKee, Spencer Lee

Spencer Lee yep if he comes back of course. I didn't include McKee or Ayala since Heinselman actually beat them this year.

41 minutes ago, Better Call Stall said:

Could someone please confirm that Mason Manville does not have any eligibility left? It's time for that guy to move on.

His eligibility might be exhausted, but just as I say that his kid brother Carson is about to enter the picture. 

7 hours ago, VAtoSC said:

Virginia Tech next year:

125- Cooper Flynn or Eddie Ventresca

133- Sam Latona bumps up. AA in 2021, lost in the blood round this year. Really struggled with the weight early in the season. Will move up with Korbin Meyers done.

141- Sam Hillegas returns from injury. Will have 4 years of eligbility remaining.

149- Bryce Andonian. So excited to watch him for 2 more years. So entertaining. Some rumors of him bumping up 157 but from the people I've talked to they don't think that is accurate.

157- Connor Brady, NCAA qualifier. Big, strong, athletic kid who needs to get more aggressive.

165- Clayton Ulrey

174- Mekhi Lewis. Really looking forward to seeing him and Starocci go after it again.

184- Trey Kibe will replace Hunter Bolen

197- Dakota Howard (potentially TJ Stewart as a true freshmen)

285- Hunter Catka returns to the lineup with 4 more years after redshirting this year and losing in the blood round in 2021 (free season).

Howard keeps the spot at 197 and Hunter is done at 184? No chance for Smith?

5 hours ago, WresFan89 said:

He beat dual meet McKee, he’s not touching consi bracket McKee who has curb stomped half the guys you listed.

Heinselman is 3-1 against McKee.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, lu1979 said:

Kharchla moving up would mess with their lineup a bit as they have returning/past AAs at 165 through 197.  One of their AAs would lose that musical chairs game.  A big piece for Ohio St will be if Hoffman can perform consistently like he did at NCAAs.  He took a jump there and he will have to keep going at that level.

It was my understanding before NCAAs that tOSU recruited Shumate to replace Hoffman next year at 197. Hoffman had a great tournament and maybe Shumate redshirts now

12 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

Fix isn't going 141, he would be more likely to go 125 but for lineup reasons Mastro is a fringe AA at 125 and a good dual meet guy and 141 is Carter Young who considers Fix like a big brother so he isn't going to move up and steal his spot.  Carter has a lot of potential, hopefully he gets stronger and can make a little run next year, he was really a 33lber wrestling up this year and it showed

Daton and Carter can't swap spots?  Daton at 141 and Carter at 133?