nhs67

Next Year Impact: Weight Changes, Redshirt, True Frosh?

48 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

Daton wrestles at 125.5 for the world team, why would he go 141?

Then why doesn't he wrestle collegiately at 125? 

Micic wrestled at 57kg for the Olympics and went at 141 this year.

Thirdly, he won his world silver at 61kg (which is ~134.5 lbs.).  He is not a small 133.  It would also be better for the team if Carter went at 133, and Daton went at 125 or 141.

With that being said, do you think he has the best chance of winning 125 with Spencer Lee returning and possibly Arujau and Glory, 133 with RBY possibly coming back, or 141 with the two finalists, Eierman, and Rivera all graduating?

1 hour ago, Cowboy08 said:

Daton wrestles at 125.5 for the world team, why would he go 141?

Fix won his world medal at 61kg = 134 lbs. Gilman is the 57kg rep unless he gets beaten at Final X this year. 

Edited by Red95

On 3/20/2022 at 12:57 PM, potentiallydangerous said:

With the way Trent Hillger fell off the map I wonder if he has chronic injuries or HEW and will not return for his covid year. Which could lead Braxton Amos to put on 49 lbs of muscle and be heavyweight next year.

I don't know if Hillger really feel off the map so much as HWT was just loaded in the B1G and he got worn down.

He's coming back...so Amos would have to fully commit to adding enough weight to compete with Hillger while still being able to cut down to 211. I think Amos stays at 197 another year and if he can start pulling the trigger, he's a guy who could take a big leap next year.

On 3/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, potentiallydangerous said:

Wisconsin has a 133 lb coming in from Poway who placed 3 or 4 in California, Brock Bobzien, not sure if he is ready to make any impact.

I'd put him as their #3 recruit next year. He finished 3rd in Cali losing to Gioffre(who went on to win one of the most controversial matches I've seen this year).

Rivera, a Wisconsin kid who really kinda dominated Nate Jesuroga(top 5/6 overall recruit) with I believe 5 TDs in the Cheesehead finals and James Rowley from Oregon are the two guys I could see stepping in next year. Not sure what to make of Rivera other than his upside is enormous, but he's a bit inconsistent.

21 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I feel like Malik is getting too much crap. He can AA next year. The weight has a ton of parity. If they wrestle that tournament again today, he might AA

I agree with this.  If they wrestle the tournament today, Malik would be the only one still able to weigh in at 125, so he wins by default!  

5 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I agree with this.  If they wrestle the tournament today, Malik would be the only one still able to weigh in at 125, so he wins by default!  

If there were a 117 weight class he would prol be in the NCAA finals facing off against Kurt McHenry.

Edited by DocBZ

13 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Anyone know where Dom Demas might be heading?

He was projected as a 149/157 by most outlets prior to college.  I cannot find anything as far as what his final list of schools was, though.

He committed to OU in Oct. of 2016. Projected to be a, "lifetime" 149 in college. He was always a Lou guy.

Edited by Mphillips

On 3/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, Idaho said:

Is Tate Orndorff graduating this year? Do grad transfers have to enter the portal? Also can they be contacted after the ncaa or do they follow the same rules? 

He has 1 more year of eligibility if he wants it.

10 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

He committed to OU in Oct. of 2016. Projected to be a, "lifetime" 149 in college. He was always a Lou guy.

Right, but if he is leaving Lou, and there is no spot for him on tOSU, then where does he go?

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

As far as I am concerned that is all conjecture.  Nothing from him or the OU coaching staff says as much.

Wasn't that the nature of the disagreement between Dom and OU? That they wanted him at 141 or else? I might have that wrong but thats my impression from the time 

If you really want "Weight Changes" the NCAA will make a 225-230 weight class and move to big guys to 300 lbs. Reality is the big guys are getting bigger and capping things at 285 like Freestyle sounds nice but it cheats many of the opportunity to wrestle.