BigTenFanboy

Nick Suriano.. "injury time was bogus"

3 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Given it resulted from a head injury, the Princeton coaches should have saved the INJ time by going into concussion protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is, I think Suriano picked down in that period thinking he would either get a free escape point or just hang out on bottom for 2 minutes. When that didn’t happen, he got frustrated. I think that decision took him out of the match mentally/switched the momentum. If Glory had choice, I think all those stall calls and cautions don’t happen, and Suriano wins more comfortable. 

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The thing is, I think Suriano picked down in that period thinking he would either get a free escape point or just hang out on bottom for 2 minutes. When that didn’t happen, he got frustrated. I think that decision took him out of the match mentally/switched the momentum. If Glory had choice, I think all those stall calls and cautions don’t happen, and Suriano wins more comfortable. 

Fair enough regarding choice... Glory would likely have gone bottom or neutral.  Still don't know why they didn't go into concussion protocol for a head injury.  Here's the bout scoring from Track...

image.png.4839819cdd115f83df76ccca101fa751.png

Just now, lu_alum said:

Fair enough regarding choice... Glory would likely have gone bottom or neutral.  Still don't know why they didn't go into concussion protocol for a head injury.  Here's the bout scoring from Track...

image.png.4839819cdd115f83df76ccca101fa751.png

From a tactical standpoint you’re 100% right. I just mean from a hindsight perspective. I’ve seen it happen multiple times where the better wrestler picks down with a lead in the third planning to coast and the tide shifts. A caution point and four stalling points would have been wild though. 

Not really a fan of the Suriano persona, but at least this time his dad didn’t go out of his way to trash talk/heckle the opposing head coach like he did after his kid beat Fix in 2019, via a headgear grab in OT…that’s a plus, I guess.

Edited by gromit

4 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Given it resulted from a head injury, the Princeton coaches should have saved the INJ time by going into concussion protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't a head injury, it was a neck/shoulder injury.  So, no concussion protocol.

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

This thread seems overly harsh.

Yes he’s weird, but isn’t it possible he didn’t realize Glory hit his head?

No.  Glory was screaming and trying to get Suriano off him.  But you are a glass-half-full-kind-of-guy which I commend.

Also Suriano is simply not allowed to complain about bad calls in the finals.  

But as you said he's weird. 

I’m so glad that there’s no recordings of me waxing philosophical when I was in my mid-20’s!

I get that Suriano rubs some people wrong, and truthfully, I’m not a fan of his personality, either. 

But, he’s young and still has lots to learn about life.

If I had to bet right now on whether or not he’s going to live what most of us would call an honorable, successful life, I’d bet on him doing well.

If I’ve learned one thing during my many years in leadership roles, it’s that one should never give up on people too quickly; it just takes longer for the goodness to surface in some of them.

He does need to un**** his haircut ASAP!

3 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

I’m so glad that there’s no recordings of me waxing philosophical when I was in my mid-20’s!

I get that Suriano rubs some people wrong, and truthfully, I’m not a fan of his personality, either. 

But, he’s young and still has lots to learn about life.

If I had to bet right now on whether or not he’s going to live what most of us would call an honorable, successful life, I’d bet on him doing well.

If I’ve learned one thing during my many years in leadership roles, it’s that one should never give up on people too quickly; it just takes longer for the goodness to surface in some of them.

He does need to un**** his haircut ASAP!

Wise words. Is there hope for PD3 or Ferrari? 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Sorry if I missed this in another thread, but has there been any discussion on the Princeton choice to let Suriano go? 

This was the one time when a ref had aggressively called stalling! 

It was working perfectly for them with Glory on top.  It's his best position, and Suriano was completely flummoxed by the situation (which was obvious to the naked eye and which he admitted after).

It seemed to me Glory had a much better chance of continuing to ride and getting another stall call than letting Suriano get back to where he had succeeded earlier in the match and is really, really good -- working positions on his feet.  

I was really surprised by this when it happened and don't recall anyone ever bringing it up.  There were 33 seconds left when the ref raised his hand. Then two seconds later the Princeton coaches whistled at Glory to let him go.  The way things were going I think the ref would have called another one within 30 seconds of the same kind of action.

3 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

It also seems there's been a fundamental shift in his "public" persona.  Those shifting eyes and side glances are kind of freaky.

Speaking of shifts, this changed some of my perspective on ADS:

One of the many great competitors its has been our pleasure to watch compete.  Not quite the most talented, but among the most dedicated. Nice reflections by RBY and ADS on their rivalry.  

4 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Is it? No I dont think so. As I stated earlier I've been a fan of his since he was a freshman in high school. From my view, over the years his persona has changed quite a bit and since his razor thin 2019 win over Daton Fix he seems to act like hes the only person in the universe to have won an NCAA title.

I soured on him when he started talking about all the "adversity" he's had in wrestling like he's the only wrestler ever to go through things. I do know that the Big Ten literally changed their transfer rules so he could leave PSU after so many guys had to sit out a year after transferring within the conference. I also know that every college program in the country kissed his and his father's asses trying to get him to commit. And I also know that he put off making his last transfer announcement for as long as he could so he'd get the all important attention he craves.

So yeah, his wrestling career has been filled with adversity and nobody has ever had it tougher. and for somebody to take injury time against him it's right on script for him to belittle someone who was actually facing adversity.

4 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

It also seems there's been a fundamental shift in his "public" persona.  Those shifting eyes and side glances are kind of freaky.

Speaking of shifts, this changed some of my perspective on ADS:

My opinion about him as a competitor hasn't changed, he's a front runner who is happy to rub it in when he's ahead but he's extremely ill-equipped to deal with defeat. As far as him as a person I seriously hope things work out for him. He no longer has the structure of being on a college wrestling team to keep him focused and that's probably not a good thing. I can't see parents wanting him to coach their kids so that's probably not an option but maybe the Hawkeye RTC can come up with something for him. 

BTW I'm not trying to preach here, I'm a guy who needs structure too. 

1 hour ago, klehner said:

It wasn't a head injury, it was a neck/shoulder injury.  So, no concussion protocol.

Concussion protocol isn't about known concussion. It's about suspected concussion. Only refs/medical personnel can ask for it- although obviously coaches get involved. I was asking a ref about this and he told me it's not their job to decide whether it is or isn't one but to point out it might be. If the ref thinks it is a concussion the kid's done so they make sure not to decide anything other than to call for medical people to check. A neck injury could well be an indication of a possibility. In the concussion rule (in the back) it also mentions spinal injury. A neck injury/shoulder pain could well be from a cervical spinal issue. I had a shoulder pain that was eventually found to be a neck-spinal issue rather than muscular.

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

Concussion protocol isn't about known concussion. It's about suspected concussion. Only refs/medical personnel can ask for it- although obviously coaches get involved. I was asking a ref about this and he told me it's not their job to decide whether it is or isn't one but to point out it might be. If the ref thinks it is a concussion the kid's done so they make sure not to decide anything other than to call for medical people to check. A neck injury could well be an indication of a possibility. In the concussion rule (in the back) it also mentions spinal injury. A neck injury/shoulder pain could well be from a cervical spinal issue. I had a shoulder pain that was eventually found to be a neck-spinal issue rather than muscular.

That's where I was going with the suggestion.  At the time of the injury, the ref seemed to be caught off-guard as to why Glory was out-of-sorts.  They certainly would have seen impact to his head on a video review.

9 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

So that program has UNLIMITED spots? 

I don't know about his program specifically, but in general certificate programs are significantly less rigorous and much less in demand to the point that even Harvard has effectively unlimited slots for some of its professional certificate programs, many of which you can obtain online. In other words, in Suriano's case, I think it's unlikely that U of M let a meathead in, causing great injustice to a capable student who got rejected.

21 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He is not in a degree program as a grad student. He’s getting a certificate. I don’t think anyone got rejected because of Suriano. 

I did not realize NCAA athletes can be eligible without being enrolled in a degree program.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/bylaw?ruleId=4054

image.png.efe6350992224b48629c125b0c8480ac.png

image.thumb.png.01a5225af1b42251eb4dc799388e8a6d.png

Edited by lu_alum

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

I don't know about his program specifically, but in general certificate programs are significantly less rigorous and much less in demand to the point that even Harvard has effectively unlimited slots for some of its professional certificate programs, many of which you can obtain online. In other words, in Suriano's case, I think it's unlikely that U of M let a meathead in, causing great injustice to a capable student who got rejected.

You dont know that. But you did ask who it affected. If he took someones spot thats who it effects.

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

You dont know that. But you did ask who it affected. If he took someones spot thats who it effects.

I didn't ask anything. Just pointed out that your answer to an obviously rhetorical question (not asked by me) is not really helpful and likely not relevant.