kionga

B1G Performance at NCAA

After the first session on Thursday, I was wondering if the B1G was overrated.  When all is said and done, I don't think they were.

The top 3 teams, and 5 of the top 6, were from the Big Ten.

Eight of ten individual champions were from the B1G.

The conference accounted for 38/80 (48%) of all Americans, and 612.5/1337 points scored (46%).

4 hours ago, kionga said:

After the first session on Thursday, I was wondering if the B1G was overrated.  When all is said and done, I don't think they were.

The top 3 teams, and 5 of the top 6, were from the Big Ten.

Eight of ten individual champions were from the B1G.

The conference accounted for 38/80 (48%) of all Americans, and 612.5/1337 points scored (46%).

I think the NCAA Championship Tournament, the Crown Jewel of College Wrestling, over the entire 6 sessions allows the cream to rise to the top. 

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Kind of a bummer, really. I wish the talent was a bit more spread out for a healthier sport.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Turns out they can spread out the allocations to give more schools more chances, but they can't spread out the talent. 

Allowing students to choose the school that best suits their needs seems student centered. 

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Kind of a bummer, really. I wish the talent was a bit more spread out for a healthier sport.

I understand this sentiment is a common one in all sports, but I don't agree with it -- at least not totally.  I think it is good to have "dynasty" teams (or conferences) every once in a while.  It shows everyone what the pinnacle of achievement can look like and inspires others to strive to attain that for their own team/conference.

Even in professional football, which I think is a sport that shoots for even competitiveness most of all, you had the New England Patriots until recently.  Of course it helps when the team is the one you root for, or one has a connection to a prominent aspect of that team (like Tom Brady).

Turns out they can spread out the allocations to give more schools more chances, but they can't spread out the talent. 
Allowing students to choose the school that best suits their needs seems student centered. 
I agree. I don't think any rules should be changed, I just think the sport would be healthier if the talent happened to be more spread out, I don't think an real solution exists to solve this issue.

College athletics aren’t designed for parity. The ones most willing to invest in a sport will dominate. From NAIA to D1 in every sport their are a few teams that dominate and have a rich tradition. You can allocate all you want, but the Big10 is the conference that consistently invests in wrestling and it shows. 

31 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I agree. I don't think any rules should be changed, I just think the sport would be healthier if the talent happened to be more spread out, I don't think an real solution exists to solve this issue.

Hmm...TBar and Vak agreeing...could be a sign that the apocalypse is near.

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Putting more restrictions on the RTC’s interaction with college athletes.

It would be bad for “the sport” (as in our international success), but I think it would create at least a little more parity in college.

A big reason for PSU’s success is who they can boast as practice partners via NLWC.  Take that away and there may be at least a couple less people that would rather get no scholarship money at PSU instead of a full scholarship somewhere else.

Edited by 1032004