Casper

Hodge, OW from the tournament?

9 minutes ago, Casper said:

Who gets it?

I thought Yianni was more impressive than Gable - who wore down visibly as he wrestled more matches.

Gable won the Hodge before the year even started.  For OW it should be Starrocci or Aaron Brooks

Gabel tournament was somewhat disappointing because we have been used to seeing absolutely toy with top Heavies. If he did not have the last season of dominance behind him, how easily he blitzed the field would make him a clear OW. 

6 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Gable did beat four guys who have won world medals at the age-group levels in his five wins. Couple champs and a Senior world teamer.

Any human would “wear down” after running that gauntlet.

Gable isn't human, have you not figured that out yet?

None of Gable's opponents was as good as Daton Fix, Mekhi Lewis, or Myles Amine. All-bonus regular season is good for the Hodge but there were other strong candidates for NCAA tournament OW.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I agree OW should be Starrocci for beating a former undefeated champ.  But it's gonna be Gable.

You may want to work on your facts a bit.  Lewis lost twice the year he won it.  Even if you switched it to an undefeated, former champ.....he lost to Hidlay in the dual before avenging that at ACC's.  Hell, neither Hidlay, nor Lewis, was the number 1 seed at ACC's...

Edited by MSU158

None of Gable's opponents was as good as Daton Fix, Mekhi Lewis, or Myles Amine. All-bonus regular season is good for the Hodge but there were other strong candidates for NCAA tournament OW.

Kerkvleit is a cadet world gold medalist and a junior world silver. Schultz a junior world silver in Greco, and he beat Parris by major twice who is a junior world gold medalist in freestyle, but yeah none of Gable’s opponents were as good as the others listed. Not counting Cassioppis accomplishments who he also majored during the regular season.

Daton Fix, Mekhi Lewis and Amine are all world class but let’s not diminish the competition that Gable has gone up against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Mizzoufan01 said:

O’Toole won the award for winning the toughest weight class. Don’t remember the name of the award.

Hammer award from Amateur Wrestling News.  I realize Keegan isn't from the "Big" wrestling conference but their justification was pretty solid.  165 had 9 returning All Americans, plus Keegan beat the returning champion in the finals.  When you add in the fact that he gave up zero pts in all his matches leading up to the finals, that's some pretty solid credentials for OW.

PS.  I still think they'll give OW to Gable.

14 hours ago, 4awrestler said:

Kerkvleit is a cadet world gold medalist and a junior world silver. Schultz a junior world silver in Greco, and he beat Parris by major twice who is a junior world gold medalist in freestyle, but yeah none of Gable’s opponents were as good as the others listed. Not counting Cassioppis accomplishments who he also majored during the regular season.

Daton Fix, Mekhi Lewis and Amine are all world class but let’s not diminish the competition that Gable has gone up against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just to be accurate Schultz is a Jr World Gold in Greco

22 hours ago, portajohn said:

Gable won the Hodge before the year even started.  For OW it should be Starrocci or Aaron Brooks

If you're starting a team and let's say Star & Brooks are the same age/grade level- Who are you going with? (Can only choose 1 of the 2)

8 minutes ago, RandolphJones said:

If you're starting a team and let's say Star & Brooks are the same age/grade level- Who are you going with? (Can only choose 1 of the 2)

That's a really hard one.  They are both so good in all positions but I think you have to go with Brooks as he is slightly better from neutral.  Though Starroci might be a slightly better rider.

1 hour ago, 4awrestler said:

I looked up his credentials on ASUs website so I apologize if it was wrong but it says 2019 Junior world silver, 2018 Junior world Bronze and 2017 Cadet world Gold all in Greco, so I missed that one.

https://thesundevils.com/sports/wrestling/roster/cohlton--schultz/12583

My apologies - I knew he won Gold at an age group Championship - I guess that was Cadet - my mistake