Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Cael tweets about the Altons

You mean there were two NCAA D1 wrestlers competing at year's end with injuries? Really? Do you think there were any others, or just these two?
I have to ask, do you care what people think of you? I mean really, when it comes to wrestlers outside of New Jersey, you act as if you are a complete tool when anything is posted about them. Normally I wouldn't say anything but I'm getting tired of feeling embarrassed for you. What are you...like 5....6...?

You mean there were two NCAA D1 wrestlers competing at year's end with injuries? Really? Do you think there were any others, or just these two?
I have to ask, do you care what people think of you? I mean really, when it comes to wrestlers outside of New Jersey, you act as if you are a complete tool when anything is posted about them. Normally I wouldn't say anything but I'm getting tired of feeling embarrassed for you. What are you...like 5....6...?

I lived there for a few years thats just how people act in NJ. Not all but many.I couldn't wait to leave!

Don't be such a tool. It's just some insight into why they didn't perform up to expectations.

At 7:48am from @caelsanderson:

"Both Andrew & Dylan Alton competed this past season with multiple injuries, including torn labrums Tough young men."

That certainly played a role in their postseason performance, I would imagine.

So ... did they get them fixed?? It's a pretty routine surgery nowadays, yet the rehab takes a while. I hurts like a mother FK'r at first ..... I'm guessing they did?

@ NJWC ... No need to be such a TOOL. The post was a simple "FYI" .. Try to add some value once in a while.

So ... did they get them fixed?? It's a pretty routine surgery nowadays, yet the rehab takes a while. I hurts like a mother FK'r at first ..... I'm guessing they did?

I've known a few wrestlers to have labrum repairs in the past few years. Some come back no problem and others are never really the same. I think it depends on the severity of the tear and if there is any other damage to repair. Either way, it's pretty much six months minimum recovery.

Cael has also since tweeted that both had surgery and are in the process of rehabbing.

Seems like a random tweet. Maybe someone asked Cael to comment after both Alton's were called out for being out of shape recently.

Which also supports the idea, that if these guys are not 100% healthy, the NCAA's are going to expose any and every injury at some point in that tournament. In a single dual, a hurt wrestler can tough it out, yet in a tournament setting, it's a tough row to hoe ...

I don't understand the point of him tweeting this about them. To me it just raises more questions. Like why didn't you rest them during the season? I know a torn labrum isn't really going to heal itself but some time off wouldn't hurt would it?

As another poster stated maybe a lot of people ahd been asking them about their performance and he just wanted to get it off his chest. Who knows?

Seems like a random tweet. Maybe someone asked Cael to comment after both Alton's were called out for being out of shape recently.

Which also supports the idea, that if these guys are not 100% healthy, the NCAA's are going to expose any and every injury at some point in that tournament. In a single dual, a hurt wrestler can tough it out, yet in a tournament setting, it's a tough row to hoe ...

And how would Dr. Dale's (in)famous ten duals in eleven days yearly road trip stack up? Traveling every day, making weight, no extras taken to substitute, someone got hurt they flew home, replacements at home had to be ready to make weight if called. Those who made the trip said NCAA's wasn't a problem by comparison. As a freshman Bielenberg was in an even, three way battle for the hwt spot, made the trip and was never really challenged for varsity from that time on. You got tough, mentally as well as physically, or you didn't survive.

It is how we choose to use, promote (or not in some cases), and prioritize the duals that has led to their decline. The "what happens in March is the only thing that matters" mentality is a self fulfilling prophesy if you CHOOSE to devalue the dual and the concept of team v team, as in 10 members and their combined value in competition with another school's 10.

I don't understand the point of him tweeting this about them. To me it just raises more questions. Like why didn't you rest them during the season? I know a torn labrum isn't really going to heal itself but some time off wouldn't hurt would it?

As another poster stated maybe a lot of people ahd been asking them about their performance and he just wanted to get it off his chest. Who knows?

Actually, I thought they did sit out for part of the season, although I had thought for other reason(s)... Maybe injuries also factored into that?

Highly intrigued to see how some of the Penn State fans who were quite dismissive of McDonough's injury issues react to this news.

Tough breaks for the Altons, especially Dylan. Nothing I saw out of Andrew this year was any different then I saw in his other year of competition with severe gas tank issues, and shoulder injuries don't really affect cardio training as much as finishing shots/throws. Dylan, on the other hand, I think this helps to explain his underwhelming performance at NCAA's.

Highly intrigued to see how some of the Penn State fans who were quite dismissive of McDonough's injury issues react to this news.

Tough breaks for the Altons, especially Dylan. Nothing I saw out of Andrew this year was any different then I saw in his other year of competition with severe gas tank issues, and shoulder injuries don't really affect cardio training as much as finishing shots/throws. Dylan, on the other hand, I think this helps to explain his underwhelming performance at NCAA's.

I was thinking the same thing. Not to dismiss the injuries or anything, as they probably did definitely effect them, but Andrew looked OK except for when the gas tank ran out. That was all I really noticed.

I am pretty sure you are not allowed to talk very specifically about athlete injury.

I'm assuming you're speaking of HIPAA, which has a weird role in college sports. I think the students sign a form allowing the universities to disclose their injuries. So i don't think Sanderson did anything wrong letting the public know about the Altons injuries.

I am pretty sure you are not allowed to talk very specifically about athlete injury.

This is very true. During the school year and season, Coaches cannot reveal this type of personal data, without permission. Which is rarely granted.

I'm assuming you're speaking of HIPAA, which has a weird role in college sports. I think the students sign a form allowing the universities to disclose their injuries. So i don't think Sanderson did anything wrong letting the public know about the Altons injuries.

HIPPA works in a Hospital setting directly with the patient (or parents for minors). The Colleges take it a step further and muzzle employees as well. Coaches, AD's etc .. It's up to the Parents or the athlete to OK the release of personal health issues.

Disagree. "severe gas tank issues"???

1- Andrew was a true freshman and hung with every top guy at 141 and lost so many close decisions. He was always attacking and was way more aggressive and effective.The only match I recall where he completely gassed was with Marion at PSU dual. The atmosphere definitely got the better of him that night. This year he gassed many times and looked so unprepared. Which is why I believe the injury is legit and a good reason why he was never at his best.

2- Andrew was horrible on bottom this year. Period. Two years ago I thought he did great job on bottom for most of the season. And I watched him quite a bit in HS, beast on bottom. He totally regressed in that position. I will say both his college seasons he really needs to work on top position.

3- Andrew was pinned twice this year, blown out a match, shut down by Tessari, and so many subpar wins over overmatched foes. His true freshman season I believe he was never pinned. And from recollection all his losses were very close to ONLY the top guys in the country and by no more than 2-3 points. Andrew was way more competitive and wrestled way better and his competition was stiffer two years ago.

If Andrew had a shoulder injury which limited his live wrestling, of course he is going to have stamina issues. NOTHING replaces live wrestling for training. You can do all the running and other cardio, but it's not the same. Nothing else you do can replace the actual thing for cardio and also for the mental aspect of knowing you are healthy and prepared fully. Plus we all know Andrew had a ankle injury before the season which I am sure did not help his season. Let's not mention the drinking incident:)

My whole point is I see little similarities between his two college seasons. In fact with a RS season I figured he would definitely make the finals this year. It was a huge let down for me at least watching him wrestle this year. To me he did not look good. He is by far my favorite wrestler since HS, and I truly hope he heals completely and is at his best next year. I honestly believe no one beats him next year if he is 100%. Just my opinion.

I'd be curious to see some of these Penn State quotes because I don't recall anyone dismissing the effect an injury can have on performance. I think the difference is that Iowa fans fell all over McD for not using his injury as an excuse yet everyone was talking about it for months to explain why his performance wasn't up to par. There was no backdoor release about the injury with the Altons and these guys put up with a lot of crap here and even on the PSU forums.

Is there a more sensitive, over protective bunch than the PA fans? My point was that maybe they didn't perform well because of some injuries, but I guarantee you MOST D1 wrestlers are banged up for much of the season, that's the impact of the sport.

Maybe they didn't have the same type of commitment that they've had in the past? Maybe the competition figured out their style? Maybe there are actually some other really good wrestlers in the country, that weren't going to roll over for these two?

When anyone would post that Scott Winston was dealing with injuries, they would get ripped. I guess in addition to sit outs and switches, they also teach hypocrisy in PA?

Is there a more sensitive, over protective bunch than the PA fans? My point was that maybe they didn't perform well because of some injuries, but I guarantee you MOST D1 wrestlers are banged up for much of the season, that's the impact of the sport.

Maybe they didn't have the same type of commitment that they've had in the past? Maybe the competition figured out their style? Maybe there are actually some other really good wrestlers in the country, that weren't going to roll over for these two?

When anyone would post that Scott Winston was dealing with injuries, they would get ripped. I guess in addition to sit outs and switches, they also teach hypocrisy in PA?

Banged up and having torn labrums are very different.

And you're showing your sensitivity because your beloved Scott Winston didn't pan out. Both Alton's have already done more at nationals than Winston did.