Stl

2023 Team Race

Penn State will come into next year as the heavy frontrunner in the team race. They'll have 3 returning champs, with the addition of Shayne Van Ness and Alex Facundo to their lineup.

Who will be the other top teams next year? Arizona State returns their entire lineup minus Anthony Valencia I think. Iowa gets Spencer Lee back and Patrick Kennedy added to the lineup. Michigan doesn't look like they have much firepower to fill what they're losing, so they'll be more of a top 10ish team. Cornell is probably the next team in trophy contention, with VA Tech, Nebraska, and Missouri on the outside looking in.

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

ASU returns everybody but Valencia. They also get the youngest Valencia in the lineup, and have Fagen and Vasquez back from injury. If they add an impact transfer like the rumor going around, they will be very much in the running. 

For a trophy, not to win.

1 hour ago, Stl said:

Penn State will come into next year as the heavy frontrunner in the team race. They'll have 3 returning champs, with the addition of Shayne Van Ness and Alex Facundo to their lineup.

Who will be the other top teams next year? Arizona State returns their entire lineup minus Anthony Valencia I think. Iowa gets Spencer Lee back and Patrick Kennedy added to the lineup. Michigan doesn't look like they have much firepower to fill what they're losing, so they'll be more of a top 10ish team. Cornell is probably the next team in trophy contention, with VA Tech, Nebraska, and Missouri on the outside looking in.

Thoughts?

Iowa loses DeSanto, Eierman, Marinelli, and Kemerer.  Maybe Kennedy can give you close to what Marinelli did at NCAA's, but that's about it.  I'm not sure Iowa is in the top 5.

Interested in seeing if Figuerora can break the line up at ASU. With his pedigree, I wouldn’t be surprised if he can force Courtney or McGee out of the line-up. it’s possible everyone from 125-157 moves up one weight to make room for him.

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Iowa loses DeSanto, Eierman, Marinelli, and Kemerer.  Maybe Kennedy can give you close to what Marinelli did at NCAA's, but that's about it.  I'm not sure Iowa is in the top 5.

When is Lee's projected return?

7 minutes ago, Casper said:

Unless ASU gets much tougher mentally they have no chance at the top spot. As it is they fit right into WestCoast wrestling.

You don’t know what you are talking about really. Probably why your statement is so vague. 

3 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

You don’t know what you are talking about really. Probably why your statement is so vague. 

While I partially agree with you, there is some truth to it. ASU’s indifference on top is what separates them from the absolute cream of the crop. 

39 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Interested in seeing if Figuerora can break the line up at ASU. With his pedigree, I wouldn’t be surprised if he can force Courtney or McGee out of the line-up. it’s possible everyone from 125-157 moves up one weight to make room for him.

Would be ideal but I don’t see it. McGee bumped up from 125s when he transferred, and Parco was a 141 for the Majority of the 20/21 season. I think one of Courtney/Figueroa ends up in the portal. 

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

When is Lee's projected return?

Next year I assume.

Let's be generous and say he cancels out DeSanto + Marinelli (28).  You still lose 12.5 from Kemerer, 2.5 from Young (forgot to list him earlier), and 1.5 from Eierman.  Kennedy should score a few, maybe Cassioppi can improve, but Warner was pretty much maxed out and Murin only scores a couple more at best.   Their best case scenario is probably about where they finished this year points-wise.

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

ASU returns everybody but Valencia. They also get the youngest Valencia in the lineup, and have Fagen and Vasquez back from injury. If they add an impact transfer like the rumor going around, they will be very much in the running. 

What is the rumor going around?

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I agree with your breakdown basically word for word. I just don't think any team, except for ASU, is improving significantly to the point to where they're favored to surpass Iowa next year. And especially with Michigan likely falling out of the top 5, Iowa still has a good shot of placing top 4 in my eyes.

Iowa will be fine (trophy hunting, not winning it) assuming Lee returns. ASU will be about at that level as well. Missouri returns everyone and also brings muller back from red shirt. Penn state the obvious front runner even without rby. 

26 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

Would be ideal but I don’t see it. McGee bumped up from 125s when he transferred, and Parco was a 141 for the Majority of the 20/21 season. I think one of Courtney/Figueroa ends up in the portal. 

Yeah, I think it's highly possible someone will transfer or sit a year. For what it's worth, I thought McGee looked just as big, if not bigger, than Fix--so I would not be surprised to see him go 141. McGee and Parco have been at 133/149 for a couple years now--so I can envision both bumping up a weight and still competing at a high level. I suppose it obviously depends on just how good Figs and Vasquez really are. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

They definitely have potential to be 2nd.  I don't think they could realistically challenge PSU, but their lineup could be very salty.  Obviously, a lot hinges on health, but this lineup could really do well:

125: Lee-25 point potential 

133: Schriever/Ayala-Hard to know what to expect, but if RBY leaves along with DeSanto and Myers, 133 should be pretty wide open after Fix.

141: Henson-This weight really loses its top end talent with Lee, Rivera and Eierman gone.  Woods is probably the most likely top guy, but this is another weight that should be pretty wide open.

149:  Murin-Hard to say here.  He is the master at making the R12 being 100% in 3 tries.  He just needs to find a way to win that damn round.

157:  They desperately need to land a top transfer here.  If not, I don't see any points at this weight.

165:  Kennedy-He looked a little human at the Scuffle, but 2 of his 3 losses were close to AA's in Marinelli and Hall.  Definitely right to temper expectations, but he could end up being really good.

174:  Brands-This is his ideal weight and, healthy, he should be a solid AA contender.

184:  Assad-He has shown glimpses, but I would still keep him as a 2-2 type for now.

197: Warner-3x AA and recent runner-up.  His confidence level has to be pretty high right now and that has always been his biggest weakness.   He is a key component to a good team finish.

285:  Cass-2x AA.  I hope he can make a fast and full recovery with whatever exactly his knee injury is.  At full strength, he could very well win 285 with Gable leaving.

Null another NC ST "depth" guy. That would be two HQ guys who left for ?  Stevo Poulin is another. Yes, I know State underperformed but Top 10 will always carry weight. They will be better next year, and next year, etc. It is fully a Top 10 program now. And WHAT is this about Kennedy Monday. This is not like the Edmond Ruth to star at Illinois story,  is it?

And on the ACC train, pleased with VTs 8th place showing. Myers spot goes to Latona, they have 2 good young options at 125, a healthy Smith bumps Howard out at 197 and Hunter Katka will be excellent at hvt. If only Bolen would come back. Gerardi, 141, needs to improve and Ulrey is right there.

As a Penn Stater, I could be concerned with Iowa's potential of having 3 champs (Lee, Warner, Cass).  I don't think it happens, but it is a legitimate scenario.

I also believe young Henson is going to be in the mix from the get go.  

Penn State, then Iowa/ASU/Mizzou/Cornell in no particular order.  The ACC seems to get better and more competitive with each season.  Pendleton is building a tough shop up in the PNW.  He has all of the CA connections and may sway some from the desert (although rainville isn't Tempe).