Stl

2023 Team Race

Penn State Arizona State Ohio State Missouri Iowa Oklahoma State Michigan Cornell Oregon State Penn Va Tech NC St
125 Robbie Howard Brandon Courtney Malik Heinselman Noah Surtin Spencer Lee Trevor Mastrogiovanni Jack Medley Greg Diakomihalis Brandon Kaylor Ryan MIller Cooper Flynn Jakob Camacho
133 Roman Bravo-Young Michael McGee Andre Gonzalez Matthew Schmitt Cullan Schriever Daton Fix Dylan Ragusin Vito Arujau Jason Shaner Michael Collaiocco Sam Latona Kai Orine
141 Beau Bartlett Jesse Vasquez Dylan D'Emilio Allan Hart Wyatt Henson Carter Young Drew Mattin Josh Saunders Grant Willits CJ Composto Collin Gerardi Ryan Jack
149 Shayne Van Ness Kyle Parco Sammy Sasso Brock Mauller Max Murin Kaden Gfeller Chance Lamer Yianni Diakomihalis Tristan Lara Anthony Artalona Bryce Andonian Hunter Lewis
157 Levin Haines Jacori Teemer Paddy Gallagher Jarrett Jacques Sebastian Robles Travis Mastrogiovanni Will Lewan Colton Yapoujian Hunter Willits Doug Zapf Connor Brady Ed Scott
165 Alex Facundo Kendall Norfleet Carson Kharchla Keegan O'Toole Patrick Kennedy Travis Wittlake Cameron Amine Julian Ramirez Matthew Olguin Lucas Revano Clayton Ulrey Derek Fields
174 Carter Starocci Cael Valencia Ethan Smith Peyton Mocco Nelson Brands Dustin Plott Joe Walker Christ Foca Aaron Olmos Nick Incontrera Mekhi Lewis Alex Faison
184 Aaron Brooks Jonathan Fagen Kaleb Romero Jeremiah Kent Abe Assad Kyle Haas Jelani Embree Jon Loew Trey Munoz COnnor Strong Hunter Bolen Trent Hidlay
197 Max Dean Kordell Norfleet Gavin Hoffman Rocky Elam Jacob Warner AJ Ferrari JT Correll Jacob Cardenas Ryan Reyes Cole Urbas Dakota Howard Isaac Trumble
285 Greg Kerkvliet Cohlton Schultz Tate Orndorff Zach Elam Tony Cassioppi Luke Surber Mason Parris Lewis Ferndandes Hayden Still Ben Goldin Hunter Katka Tyrie Houghton

This Penn State team has a great shot at getting beaten...

...if the Russian and Iranian national teams manage to join the NCAA over the next 12 months. Otherwise, the only person who is stopping Penn State from winning their second straight national title next year is trainer Dan Monthley. If RBY comes back, them becoming the first team since Iowa in 2010 to lock up the national title on Friday is not out of the question.

This Penn State team has a great shot at getting beaten...
...if the Russian and Iranian national teams manage to join the NCAA over the next 12 months. Otherwise, the only person who is stopping Penn State from winning their second straight national title next year is trainer Dan Monthley. If RBY comes back, them becoming the first team since Iowa in 2010 to lock up the national title on Friday is not out of the question.

Pretty sure their previous 5x champ team did this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Pretty sure their previous 5x champ team did this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Penn State had a 31.5 point lead heading into Saturday in 2017, whereas Ohio State had a max of 46 possible points on Saturday.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

23 hours ago, Joe1288 said:

Wow, the Willets Brothers are back for another full year of stalling and grabbing ankles.

Over/under is one. Number of takedowns both brothers have after the regular season is over. 

Edited by gobraves101905

3 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

As a Penn Stater, I could be concerned with Iowa's potential of having 3 champs (Lee, Warner, Cass).  I don't think it happens, but it is a legitimate scenario.

I also believe young Henson is going to be in the mix from the get go.  

Penn State, then Iowa/ASU/Mizzou/Cornell in no particular order.  The ACC seems to get better and more competitive with each season.  Pendleton is building a tough shop up in the PNW.  He has all of the CA connections and may sway some from the desert (although rainville isn't Tempe).

True …. But Crooks and Munoz both love it.  I thought it was funny that when CP was first hired that several posters said the staff was too old and irrelevant to connect to Cali wrestlers …haha. 

3 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

...if the Russian and Iranian national teams manage to join the NCAA over the next 12 months.

Watching the Russians and Iranians trying to get out from bottom would be hilarious.  Another hilarious moment would be watching their entire team get stalled out of every match at Carver. 

I think smoke says RBY is more likely back than not but he's going to do one of those "Spring and out" plan. Cael will let him do whatever obviously since he holds all the cards.

Other than that, PSU will lose a ton of points going from Nick Lee to Beau Bartlett at 141. I buy that Bartlett will be better at 141 than 149 but I don't think people should pencil him in as an automatic AA. Let's see it first. But PSU had basically an average of 1 point per weight at 125, 149, 157, 165. They have clear solutions at all of those weights now with young talent (Howard now with 2 years in the room and healthy, Van Ness, Haines, Facundo off redshirt) I also believe Kerkvliet figures out Cassioppi and becomes the clear #1 heavy which probably offsets a lot.

PSU easily can find a way back to 120+ points. They lose 23 from Nick Lee and maybe they don't repeat 4 champs (at what point do we just accept that PSU just tends to do that?) but they find 25-27 between 125, 141 149, 157, 165 shouldn't be extremely difficult with what they have in that room and how kids progress in there.

Also it's Cael, he'll call kids and kids will call him about open spots on his team. 

Iowa gets a huge boost since Spencer is a guaranteed 26-27 possibly but their only other safe bet for a lot of points is Cassioppi (he ain't finishing worse than 4th if he's healthy and he's a big bonuser, plus I think he figures out how to wrestle as a skinny jacked dude better). Warner is pretty volatile and can be lower AA with a bad draw with his style. He absolutely isn't a repeat to make the finals again (think his draw was perfect this year) Based on the last 2 years though, definitely not fair to say he'd score any less than 10.

I like PK, I like him a ton. Definitely would start him out as a 5-8 AA rather than a upper AA but he is that talent. I don't buy Nelson is an AA at 174. He could be but he wrestled 1 actual NQ guy this year (Hayden Hidlay who's obviously one of the best) and he can hang his hat on keeping it close. He was in SV and 1 point matches against non NQ level guys (Devine, Logan) I would bet on Assad AA'ing before Nelson tbh. Unless Schriever makes a huge jump in the room, he's a R16 guy IMO. Henson, he has a ton of potential but he needs major work on bottom which can hinder him big time at nationals. Murin ... feel for the kid, 3x R12 and all 3 times he made the quarters, meaning he has had 6 win and you're an AA matches and he's lost all 6. He's going to be a 6th year senior, I think it's more likely kids catch up to him than he makes a jump to Top 3. 

Edited by IGotAPlan

Ohio State is interesting, they actually have a lot of veteran AA pieces now and I think Tom Ryan will be able to convince them to return (it's been a while since they were even a trophy team)

They have

125 - Heinselman who I think is what he is at this point, a crafty undersized 125 who isn't an AA contender

133 - Bouzakis, can be an AA guy at 133 as a true freshman IMO, he's an absolute unit which will go a long way

141 - Mendez, think he's more raw than Bouzakis and could use the redshirt and if he goes, I wouldn't pick him to AA

149 - Sasso, used to have him as a Solid 2 but now the pack has caught up to him, he's definitely a Top 5 level guy no matter what

157 - Paddy ... I actually didn't see much results from him that impressed this redshirt year. He also lost to Levi Haines (HS Senior training at PSU) 8-3 (though he was up with like 30 seconds to go and Levi got the takedown and turn so they've very evenly matched) Definitely shouldn't pencil him in to AA yet IMO. 

165 - Kharchla, this might be blasphemous since he AA'ed but feel he underwhelmed a bit by finishing 7th. Seems like Cameron Amine has caught up to him which I never would have guessed. A lot of his hype came from how easily he beat Mekhi in freestyle (he scored 4 legit folk takedowns) I think he should easily be a Top 3 level guy but remains to be seen. 

174 - Smith, AA level guy 

184 - Romero, AA level guy, very impressed with him this year

197 - Hoffman, REALLY impressed with his run so definitely an AA level guy but easily could have just been a cinderella and will be more R12-R16 in reality.

285 - I think they should use Feldman and tell Orndorff to move on, that kid is way too good to keep on the bench. Think he firmly places himself in the pack of heavies after the Top Group (Kerk, Parris, Cass, Schultz) He literally reminds me of a young Kyle Snyder so he might infiltrate the Top 4. 

1 hour ago, IGotAPlan said:

Ohio State is interesting, they actually have a lot of veteran AA pieces now and I think Tom Ryan will be able to convince them to return (it's been a while since they were even a trophy team)

They have

125 - Heinselman who I think is what he is at this point, a crafty undersized 125 who isn't an AA contender

133 - Bouzakis, can be an AA guy at 133 as a true freshman IMO, he's an absolute unit which will go a long way

141 - Mendez, think he's more raw than Bouzakis and could use the redshirt and if he goes, I wouldn't pick him to AA

149 - Sasso, used to have him as a Solid 2 but now the pack has caught up to him, he's definitely a Top 5 level guy no matter what

157 - Paddy ... I actually didn't see much results from him that impressed this redshirt year. He also lost to Levi Haines (HS Senior training at PSU) 8-3 (though he was up with like 30 seconds to go and Levi got the takedown and turn so they've very evenly matched) Definitely shouldn't pencil him in to AA yet IMO. 

165 - Kharchla, this might be blasphemous since he AA'ed but feel he underwhelmed a bit by finishing 7th. Seems like Cameron Amine has caught up to him which I never would have guessed. A lot of his hype came from how easily he beat Mekhi in freestyle (he scored 4 legit folk takedowns) I think he should easily be a Top 3 level guy but remains to be seen. 

174 - Smith, AA level guy 

184 - Romero, AA level guy, very impressed with him this year

197 - Hoffman, REALLY impressed with his run so definitely an AA level guy but easily could have just been a cinderella and will be more R12-R16 in reality.

285 - I think they should use Feldman and tell Orndorff to move on, that kid is way too good to keep on the bench. Think he firmly places himself in the pack of heavies after the Top Group (Kerk, Parris, Cass, Schultz) He literally reminds me of a young Kyle Snyder so he might infiltrate the Top 4. 

Is Ohio State going to be better in 2023 than in 2024? A lot of young prospects and Heinselman, Smith, and Romero will be gone. Rocky Jordan will replace Romero and he was a blood round guy last year, but Tom Ryan does say he puts his best team on the mat every year. That mindset might need to change when they are not a top 3 team at the moment.

15 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Is Ohio State going to be better in 2023 than in 2024? A lot of young prospects and Heinselman, Smith, and Romero will be gone. Rocky Jordan will replace Romero and he was a blood round guy last year, but Tom Ryan does say he puts his best team on the mat every year. That mindset might need to change when they are not a top 3 team at the moment.

No

Edited by Paul158
missed a word

27 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Is Ohio State going to be better in 2023 than in 2024?

NO.

Bouizakis at 33 and Feldman and the rest of the crew RS's. 

Amos was a possible national champ and /or high AA according to a bunch of people. Don't jinx Feldman, He'll RS.

Edited by Mphillips

Just now, Mphillips said:

Bouizakis at 33 and Feldman and the rest of the crew RS's. 

Is this speculation?

In 2024:

125 - Gonzales

133 - Bouzakis

141 - Mendez

149 - Sasso

157 - Gallagher

165 - Kharchla

174 - Geog, Rocco Welsh

184 - Rocky, Rocco Welsh

197 - Hoffman, Shumate

285 - Feldman

33 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Med school? What a waste of time when he could be entertaining us.

All three of the Mattin's will be going the same route, so if one of them "WOWS" us, don't get too excited.

20 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

It's all speculation...

I'd bet the farm on Bouzakis at 33 and the rest RS'ing. Feldman is good but is he 285lb B1G/NCAA tourney good as a true freshman? 

I think he is better than Catka was, out the gate, and he finished R12.  I also believe he is at least comparable to Ornerydwarf immediately, with the exception that his ceiling may be slightly higher, but his floor is much, much lower.

I say give him a year to bulk up, if Ornerydwarf is good to go next season.

IF, and that is a big capslocked IF, all the redshirts are blowing the doors off the place in the opens... maybe by the 1st you decide to send them all out there together next year.

They will struggle to get a trophy, though.  They need a year.

I'm not convinced Spencer Lee comes back next year.  Iowa has zero shot at winning the title.  I know he wants four, but does he want it bad enough to grind out another college season the year before the Olympics, when it was college season injuries that kept him trying out this year as the presumed #1 seed, and watching Gilman do what he did at Olympics and Worlds???  Wrestling NCAA next year gives him zero benefit toward the olympics, zero.   Only risk, zero reward (as it relates to the olympics)

I don't know man, I don't know.  

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm not convinced Spencer Lee comes back next year.  Iowa has zero shot at winning the title.  I know he wants four, but does he want it bad enough to grind out another college season the year before the Olympics, when it was college season injuries that kept him trying out this year as the presumed #1 seed, and watching Gilman do what he did at Olympics and Worlds???  Wrestling NCAA next year gives him zero benefit toward the olympics, zero.   Only risk, zero reward (as it relates to the olympics)

Don't worry, I'm sure if his knee gives him any trouble then Brands won't wrestle him.

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Who says he has to "grind out another college season" ?  Look at what Suriano did this year.  He had 8 matches prior to Big 10s just so he could get ranked in the coaches poll.  Some of those were extra matches against back ups.   He can do a full season if he wants to or he can be used sparingly if that is how he wants to go.

5 hours ago, IGotAPlan said:

Re: Kharchla, people forget that he's coming off of a major knee injury last year.  He started the year wrestling with a large brace.  Had some really good wins, and just 5 losses, all to elite guys.  He's firmly in the mix going forward.  And by the way, how about the "freshmen" talent at 165?  O'Toole, Hamiti, Amine, Kharchla, Ramirez, and Hall all have 3 more years of eligibility.  Pretty insane.  

Re: Feldman, maybe he's elite.  But let's keep in mind his competition--Snyder won Junior World's before he ever stepped foot on campus (as did Gable and Spencer), and was wrestling guys like J'den Cox in national tournaments.  I admittedly don't follow high school that closely, but it doesn't appear to me that any of his competition has been of that caliber.  Maybe we'll learn more in freestyle competition soon, but I would redshirt him in any case.