Stl

2023 Team Race

14 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Re: Feldman, maybe he's elite.  But let's keep in mind his competition--Snyder won Junior World's before he ever stepped foot on campus (as did Gable and Spencer), and was wrestling guys like J'den Cox in national tournaments.  I admittedly don't follow high school that closely, but it doesn't appear to me that any of his competition has been of that caliber.  Maybe we'll learn more in freestyle competition soon, but I would redshirt him in any case.  

Yes.

2 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Tom Ryan does say he puts his best team on the mat every year. That mindset might need to change when they are not a top 3 team at the moment.

I think that take is sort of old news.  Tomasello, both Jordans, Sasso, Kharchla, Gallagher, Smith, Romero, Moore, all redshirted.  

Snyder, Myles, Hunter, Pletcher did not.  In all 4 of those cases, Ohio State was in "win now" mode, which won't start until the 2024 tournament for this team (if everything goes to plan).  

Just now, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Re: Feldman, maybe he's elite.  But let's keep in mind his competition--Snyder won Junior World's before he ever stepped foot on campus (as did Gable and Spencer), and was wrestling guys like J'den Cox in national tournaments.  I admittedly don't follow high school that closely, but it doesn't appear to me that any of his competition has been of that caliber.  Maybe we'll learn more in freestyle competition soon, but I would redshirt him in any case.  

Feldman is winning everything domestically. Literally everything and in impressive fashion. I do not follow it closely, but as a tOSU fan I just pay attention to their recruits. Has he not made a Cadet or Junior World team? Has he tried? Maybe that is his goal this summer.

I agree that he should redshirt because he is a heavyweight and kids mature a lot physically that first year in college weight rooms and just being 19yo.

Feldman is very good to elite. I know this, relative to every other High School Hwt he has stepped on the mat to wrestle, he has proven time and again he is far better. He wouldn't beat the top college guys just yet because of how good they are, but he is still really top notch. I see him being elite once he starts wrestling for the Buckeyes. Very worthy of the P4P #1 rank he holds. 

Penn State will be challenged by Arizona State and Ohio State. Iowa will need improvement to finish top 3 but may get it from Brands and Assad and Kennedy. I don't see a runaway, but I see a 20 point difference between the 2nd place team and PSU. This is without RBY...with him ..forget it.

I think it is going to obviously be Penn St....but then Mizzo, Ohio St., and then maybe a surprise like Nebraska or the other OSU (I think this was a fluke year for them imploding at the end of the year) vying for the top 4 spots.  

33 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Feldman is winning everything domestically. Literally everything and in impressive fashion. I do not follow it closely, but as a tOSU fan I just pay attention to their recruits. Has he not made a Cadet or Junior World team? Has he tried? Maybe that is his goal this summer.

I agree that he should redshirt because he is a heavyweight and kids mature a lot physically that first year in college weight rooms and just being 19yo.

He hasn't been on a world team.  I don't know that he's tried to qualify.  I also don't know how much of that was impacted by COVID... easy to forget that these guys' high school careers were massively impacted by the pandemic, to varying degrees.  

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I'm not convinced Spencer Lee comes back next year.  Iowa has zero shot at winning the title.  I know he wants four, but does he want it bad enough to grind out another college season the year before the Olympics, when it was college season injuries that kept him trying out this year as the presumed #1 seed, and watching Gilman do what he did at Olympics and Worlds???  Wrestling NCAA next year gives him zero benefit toward the olympics, zero.   Only risk, zero reward (as it relates to the olympics)

I don't know man, I don't know.  

He has been very vocal about being VERY goal oriented.  One of his biggest goals was to be a 4x NCAA Champ.  I don't see anyway he doesn't go, unless he still physically can't...

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

He has been very vocal about being VERY goal oriented.  One of his biggest goals was to be a 4x NCAA Champ.  I don't see anyway he doesn't go, unless he still physically can't...

I know all that. But things are much different now than when he walked on campus. 

All I’m saying is the guy seems to really think things through, talk things through with his family. And with all that and all that has happened since he blitzed the US open, it wouldn’t surprise me if he just decided to focus on the Olympics (his ULTIMATE goal, in terms you can relate)

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I know all that. But things are much different now than when he walked on campus. 

All I’m saying is the guy seems to really think things through, talk things through with his family. And with all that and all that has happened since he blitzed the US open, it wouldn’t surprise me if he just decided to focus on the Olympics (his ULTIMATE goal, in terms you can relate)

Did you watch the documentary on him?  Even his parents haven't been able to get him to deviate from his plans NO MATTER what the situations have been.  Going to Iowa and winning 4, along with at least a team title was the 1st MANDATORY thing to check off his list.  Plus, the chance of being Iowa's ONLY 4 timer is something you just don't discard.

Again, I don't see ANY way he doesn't wrestle for Iowa next year, short of being physically unable to wrestle.

Just now, MSU158 said:

Did you watch the documentary on him?  Even his parents haven't been able to get him to deviate from his plans NO MATTER what the situations have been.  Going to Iowa and winning 4, along with at least a team title was the 1st MANDATORY thing to check off his list.  Plus, the chance of being Iowa's ONLY 4 timer is something you just don't discard.

Again, I don't see ANY way he doesn't wrestle for Iowa next year, short of being physically unable to wrestle.

OKAY. It’s all good. NOT MANY people share the SAME opinion as me, BUT…it’s not THE FIRST time. And that’s okay. 

Just now, Lurker said:

OKAY. It’s all good. NOT MANY people share the SAME opinion as me, BUT…it’s not THE FIRST time. And that’s okay. 

If you are going the EMPHASIZE pick the RIGHT words to do so!

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Also, you realize there is a point, even if it annoys a certain portion of people, to using the caps to emphasize, right?  It is much like how a person can read a sentence even if the letters in the words are jumbled, as long as the first and last letters are still in the right place.  By so doing, I FORCE you to read and remember the words I capitalize and it makes you retain the overall point of my post!  Like it or not, I find it VERY effective!

8 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Also, you realize there is a point, even if it annoys a certain portion of people, to using the caps to emphasize, right?  It is much like how a person can read a sentence even if the letters in the words are jumbled, as long as the first and last letters are still in the right place.  By so doing, I FORCE you to read and remember the words I capitalize and it makes you retain the overall point of my post!  Like it or not, I find it VERY effective!

I honestly never gave that much thought to when I should and should not capitalize words. I’m just jiving to the beat of your drum. 

One thing I am sure of, I don’t remember your capitalized words any more than your non capitalized words, nor does it harbor a greater impact on me with whatever point you are trying to make. I just remember….man, he uses a lot of capitals. (Therefore DE-EMPHASIZING the times he uses them). 

5 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I agree, think he should RS. In the last 10 or so years how many true freshmen were true contenders at the big boy weights? At heavyweight, I can think of Coon and Steveson. Coon earned a #1 ranking, beat the defending champ, and beat the to-be champ—but he couldn’t put it together in the post-season for whatever reason. Steveson placed 3rd. 

At 197, there’s more success. Snyder was runner-up at 197. Cox won it all. Ferrari won it all. However, a guy like McIntosh was a monster coming out of HS, and he went 1-2 as a true freshman (but did appear small for 197). 

Maybe Feldman’s ready, but I think 285 is a different monster when considering the field next year. 

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I honestly never gave that much thought to when I should and should not capitalize words. I’m just jiving to the beat of your drum. 

One thing I am sure of, I don’t remember your capitalized words any more than your non capitalized words, nor does it harbor a greater impact on me with whatever point you are trying to make. I just remember….man, he uses a lot of capitals. (Therefore DE-EMPHASIZING the times he uses them). 

Nope.  It works, especially on those of you it bothers. The fact it bothers you only confirms that point.

But, WHY it bothers you should be the real issue.  You are reading a message board.  You aren't engaged in an actual conversation dealing with real verbal inflection, obvious emotion, facial expressions, body odors, etc.  The fact that I may capitalize around 5% of the words at most in a post I am more serious about than others, shouldn't really warrant any issues.

But, hey, keep on keeping on!

Edited by MSU158

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Nope.  It works, especially on those of you it bothers. The fact it bothers you only confirms that point.

But, WHY it bothers you should be the real issue.  You are reading a message board.  You aren't engaged in an actual conversation dealing with real verbal inflection, obvious emotion, facial expressions, body odors, etc.  The fact that I may capitalize around 3% of the words at most in a post I am more serious about than others, shouldn't really warrant any issues.

But, hey, keep on keeping on!

The best part of this is that you believe it’s a matter of bothering people. 
Like I said. ITS OKAY.  

Night night sweet prince.

Just now, Lurker said:

The best part of this is that you believe it’s a matter of bothering people. 
Like I said. ITS OKAY.  

Night night sweet prince.

So, if it isn't bothering you, which is not the intent whatsoever, since I described in detail what the intent was, what word best describes your feeling about it and the need to actually point it out by posting in a mocking fashion?

37 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

I agree, think he should RS. In the last 10 or so years how many true freshmen were true contenders at the big boy weights? At heavyweight, I can think of Coon and Steveson. Coon earned a #1 ranking, beat the defending champ, and beat the to-be champ—but he couldn’t put it together in the post-season for whatever reason. Steveson placed 3rd. 

At 197, there’s more success. Snyder was runner-up at 197. Cox won it all. Ferrari won it all. However, a guy like McIntosh was a monster coming out of HS, and he went 1-2 as a true freshman (but did appear small for 197). 

Maybe Feldman’s ready, but I think 285 is a different monster when considering the field next year. 

I feel like RS has to be the only option with that level of talent in the field. That’s a tough ask. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I feel like RS has to be the only option with that level of talent in the field. That’s a tough ask. 

I'm pretty certain he's SAID that he's RS'ing. Not that things don't change...

Did I do that emphasis thing correctly?

33 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I'm pretty certain he's SAID that he's RS'ing. Not that things don't change...

Did I do that emphasis thing correctly?

ANOTHER technique would be to capitalize the first word in a sentence to get their attention, and capitalize the last word to let 'em know you mean BUSINESS.  I like that so much, I may start using IT.  SOMETIMES it may be hard to tell THOUGH.

55 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

ANOTHER technique would be to capitalize the first word in a sentence to get their attention, and capitalize the last word to let 'em know you mean BUSINESS.  I like that so much, I may start using IT.  SOMETIMES it may be hard to tell THOUGH.

WelL I’m GoinG to ThroW ALL of YoU FoR A LooP…..

22 hours ago, portajohn said:

Watching the Russians and Iranians trying to get out from bottom would be hilarious.  Another hilarious moment would be watching their entire team get stalled out of every match at Carver. 

I think they would get stalled out at customs first