4awrestler

Massa’s Shoes

2d2c09ed8f7639cf94fe975d1a055d31.jpg

What brand are the shoes that Massa is wearing? He’s the only person I’ve ever seen wearing them and they look like a hybrid of ASICS mat aggressor soles or Rulon soles with Adidas uppers missing a stripe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re ripping stripes: i think this started with the vision quest-style Ultra Flex. Those uppers were made with a single piece of synthetic suede. Then folks started to rip the stripes off the blue ultraflex with the white padded ankle. The problem was that the upper was made of two pieces of synthetic suede joined underneath the front (?) vertical stripe. If you ripped off that stripe, you compromised the integrity of the shoe. The same with purple/black lytes and a few others. I assume the aggressors have the same issue, hence Massa's vertical stripes.

He might have had to deface the shoe bc Michigan is a Nike team. The russians had to do it in the 2012 (?) Olympics re some issue with the branding veing too big for Nike's liking?

Edited by jackwebster

58 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Re ripping stripes: i think this started with the vision quest-style Ultra Flex. Those uppers were made with a single piece of synthetic suede. Then folks started to rip the stripes off the blue ultraflex with the white padded ankle. The problem was that the upper was made of two pieces of synthetic suede joined underneath the front (?) vertical stripe. If you ripped off that stripe, you compromised the integrity of the shoe. The same with purple/black lytes and a few others. I assume the aggressors have the same issue, hence Massa's vertical stripes.

He might have had to deface the shoe bc Michigan is a Nike team. The russians had to do it in the 2012 (?) Olympics re some issue with the branding veing too big for Nike's liking?

It’s a branding issue 

I remember (misremember?) hearing a story from the early 2000s where athletes from a Nike sponsored school would have to paint over the other brands logo if they wore non-Nike shoes. I think this was Cornell. Perhaps a similar situation here?