Fletcher

Which NCAA champ could beat the NCAA champ a weight up?

Lee did beat Yianni, but don't think he could do it in Folkstyle

I put very little stock in a result on the backside of the Olympic Trials tourney. Highly doubt Lee could repeat his consolation victories if meeting those opponents in the championship bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Thought Deakin said himself somewhere when the rumors of him to 165 floated around earlier this year that he weighs less than that on an everyday basis?

Didn’t see that… He looked like a 165 in the finals though. Even my daughter said “That guy looks a lot bigger than the other guy.” 

Just now, Idaho said:

Didn’t see that… He looked like a 165 in the finals though. Even my daughter said “That guy looks a lot bigger than the other guy.” 

For all the talk about Deakin looking huge for his weight (157lbs)  he has been pretty effective at 70kg (154lbs) in freestyle.  He's twice made the finals at the trails/final X and has beaten Green.  Not many wrestlers in Detroit last weekend have been as close to making a world team as Deakin.

7 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

For all the talk about Deakin looking huge for his weight (157lbs)  he has been pretty effective at 70kg (154lbs) in freestyle.  He's twice made the finals at the trails/final X and has beaten Green.  Not many wrestlers in Detroit last weekend have been as close to making a world team as Deakin.

So you are saying he is not big for 157? 

18 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Signed,
Gable Steveson (Olympic Gold 2021)
Daton Fix (World Silver 2021)
Yianni Diakomihalis (World Team 2021, who also beat James Green)

14 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Signed,

You forgot Mason Parris.  He has made the WTT finals.

Suriano vs. RBY:  I take RBY.  Nicky pushups is looking to make noise on the senior circuit but RBY has now taken out the current world silver meadlist, at the higher weight, twice in a row.  I know, styles matter, but... still RBY.

RBY vs. Lee:  I take Lee, simply because I think he finishes better and pushes a pace, similar to DT.  Super close match, but Lee is my pick.

Lee vs. Yianni:  Yianni from now on.   We know the situation from last year, but the latest version we saw from Yianni wins.

Yianni vs. Deakin:  Yianni again.  Deakin is good, Yianni is better, even though Deakin is actually 174.

Deakin vs. O'toole:  I'm a believer of O'toole.  He's got something special going on and I am going to find it difficult for anyone to beat him from now on.

O'Toole vs. Starocci:  pure horsepower difference here, but I'll take Carter in a nail biter.

Starocci vs. Brooks:  Brooks takes this.  It'll be close, but Brooks takes it.

Brooks vs. Dean.  Brooks again.  His technique overcomes whatever size he's giving up.

Dean vs. Gable:  Gable by tech over Dean, and pretty much everyone else at 197, including Ford Focus.  

Gable vs. Suriano (mythical, hypothetical, equally sized matchup):  if Gable was shrunk down to the same height/weight ratio or if Suriano was sized up to the same height/weight ratio, Suriano would win.  Wrestling is simply different at the far end of the weight classes.  Sure.  Gable wrestles like a lower weight guy, but he does not wrestle like a 125.  Technique, speed, positioning, you name it, is so much different than hwt techniques.  

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Signed,

Yes, Deakin gets shortchanged IMO because of his frustrating NCAA tourney lapses. In 2020 he was healthy and crushing everyone, Carr included, and of course no tourney. In 2021 he had Covid in season, didn't wrestle much and was very dull in the tourney, but still got third. Iffa, woulda, coulda, but 3x NCAA champ was a real possibility. He was also 30 seconds total (in two matches) from beating James Green for the World Team last year. He's not flashy, but he's very, very good.

Edited by Major Kong

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

I put very little stock in a result on the backside of the Olympic Trials tourney. Highly doubt Lee could repeat his consolation victories if meeting those opponents in the championship bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard Yianni Diakomihalis went 149 because of that match.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Thought Deakin said himself somewhere when the rumors of him to 165 floated around earlier this year that he weighs less than that on an everyday basis?

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!  What are his bones made of?  Who was the last wrestler who looked that much bigger than opponents in the same weight class?  Joe Williams?

4 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Suriano has won 133 with RBY and Fix in the division, granted it was two years ago.  

RBY is completely different now than as a freshman, 2x champ vs 8th place finish.  Another good indicator is his results vs DeSanto then and now.

Also RBY beat Fix solidly in his two championship matches without the benefit of 

314025518_Surianofingers2.JPG.ffd946fe1e51502ed8b1ac5641e05300.JPG (488×472)

Gable had plans to challenge super-heavyweight deities around the world (Yahweh, Zeus, Shiva, etc.).

But he left his shoes on the mat and some janitor in Detroit is now wearing them and doing backflips after work in an empty, benighted arena. 

8 hours ago, Corellan said:

Yianni wins at 141, 149 157 and 165.

And maybe not even close matches .

And maybe not even close matches?

I think Yianni's incredible...but haven't two of them beat Yianni the last time they wrestled and the other in that group is the U23 World Champ who just won the "most competitive," weight at the D1s...who also has ~20 pounds on Yianni?

The optics of Ryan Deakin is very deceptive. Yes, he looks big and yes the jokes are funny. But Seabass (who obviously is close to him) has said he doesn't really cut much at all. He maintains a very healthy diet and works hard in conditioning sessions and it happens naturally. He is by far the best wrestler at Northwestern, he could go 165 or 174 if he wants, he doesn't need to make some ridiculous cut for the team when he's the Superstar of the team, he could pick where he wants to go easily. He also chooses to cut 3 more pounds for freestyle and looks even better. 

Edited by IGotAPlan

1 hour ago, IGotAPlan said:

The optics of Ryan Deakin is very deceptive. Yes, he looks big and yes the jokes are funny. But Seabass (who obviously is close to him) has said he doesn't really cut much at all. He maintains a very healthy diet and works hard in conditioning sessions and it happens naturally. He is by far the best wrestler at Northwestern, he could go 165 or 174 if he wants, he doesn't need to make some ridiculous cut for the team when he's the Superstar of the team, he could pick where he wants to go easily. He also chooses to cut 3 more pounds for freestyle and looks even better. 

I don't think it's said with any negative connotations...I think people are just kinda in awe. He looks like a big 74 pounder! He's 6'1, long and just looks like a monster.

Obviously he must have an incredible work ethic and discipline to control his weight...but the guy looks huge. Put him at 165 and he dwarfs Wick. O'Toole is built differently, but he's longer than Keegan and doesn't look like he'd  be lacking horsepower there either.

I don't think there's anything but respect for Deakin on this board. He was a fluke cradle last year from getting a shot at Carr, he was dominant in '20 and they pulled the rug out from under him. If he doesn't cut much weight, it's either freak genetics or it's insane discipline and...it doesn't really change my opinion of him either way. He's a stud. I think if the 2020 Tournament is Wrestled, he might not tighten up quite as much in '21 and frankly...even in '22, but I don't think he wrestled his best and still got it done.

53 minutes ago, Scourge197 said:

I don't think it's said with any negative connotations...I think people are just kinda in awe. He looks like a big 74 pounder! He's 6'1, long and just looks like a monster.

Obviously he must have an incredible work ethic and discipline to control his weight...but the guy looks huge. Put him at 165 and he dwarfs Wick. O'Toole is built differently, but he's longer than Keegan and doesn't look like he'd  be lacking horsepower there either.

I don't think there's anything but respect for Deakin on this board. He was a fluke cradle last year from getting a shot at Carr, he was dominant in '20 and they pulled the rug out from under him. If he doesn't cut much weight, it's either freak genetics or it's insane discipline and...it doesn't really change my opinion of him either way. He's a stud. I think if the 2020 Tournament is Wrestled, he might not tighten up quite as much in '21 and frankly...even in '22, but I don't think he wrestled his best and still got it done.

He was not cradled at all in last year's semis  - it was a crab ride to half that did him in.  

I think it would be more fun to do it this way:

Take the Top 3 from each weight.  Enter them in to a tournament where they do a round robin with the weight directly above them.

You separate each one by a week, to allow for the weight class below to acclimate to not cutting, and for gits and shiggles you make the weight class up come down one pound(or don't)...

Week 1 (@ 132):
Suriano
Glory
Arujau
RBY
Fix
Desanto

Week 2 (@140)
RBY
Fix
Desanto
Lee
Clarke
Rivera

Week 3 (@148)
Lee
Clarke
Rivera
Diakomihalis
Lovett
Andonian

Week 4 (@156)
Diakomihalis
Lovett
Andonian
Deakin
Monday
Carr

Week 5 (@164)
Deakin
Monday
Carr
O'Toole
Griffith
Wick

Week 6 @173)
O'Toole
Griffith
Wick
Starocci
Lewis
Hidlay

Week 7 (@183)
Starocci
Lewis
Hidlay
Brooks
Amine
Keckeisen

Week 8 (@196)
Brooks
Amine
Keckeisen
Dean
Warner
Buchanan

Week 9 (@284)
Dean
Warner
Buchanan
Steveson
Schultz
Wood

How FIRE would these round robins be?  You could even add more "FIRE" to it and instead of taking the top three from the weights, take the top three placers from the previous week's round robins.  It could end up being Lee, Diakomihalis, and Rivera up at 156.  J/s... would be lovely.  Imagine Brooks, Dean, and Keckeisen cleaning out 196(it's possible) then getting the shot at the big boys or Diakomihalis winning 156 outright after taking second to Lee at 148, but Lee being outmuscled at 156 so Diakomihalis up against O'Toole at 164?