Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Weird post unless you are a friend or family of AJ which I respect that sort of thing 

Not a friend.  Just think it's hilarious how since AJ's title people have come up with 100 different ways for him to lose, but none of them involved a guy currently competing in his weight class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Not a friend.  Just think it's hilarious how since AJ's title people have come up with 100 different ways for him to lose, but none of them involved a guy currently competing in his weight class.

Oh I gotcha.  I think I understand where you care coming from, but I don't think it's that weird at all for two reasons:

1) Most guys who are a true freshman national champion are going to be a hot topic among fans.  AJ is not an exception in that regard

2) Those who are arrogant personalities (for which AJ most certainly qualifies), there is almost a sense of banter with the fans about embracing a villain role, wanting to be rooted against, partly so you can prove those people wrong.  I think it is usually a pretty healthy and natural thing to take place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boconnell said:

Joe Smith, Jacobe Smith, and Dakota Geer all wrestled up when Weigel went down for the season.  Weigel unexpectedly made it back, which pushed Geer out.  Rogers himself was out until February and missed almost all of their duals.  At that point Smith could have taken a spot from one of Rogers, Smith, Smith, or Geer.  All had wrestled a lot that year (Rogers 19 total matches, Joe Smith 29, Jacobe Smith 33, Geer 37).  I'm not sure why you think forcing a guy to sit would have been more fair than a wrestle-off.  Maybe it would have been better to give the spot to the guy with better seeding criteria, but I have no idea what that has to do with fairness.  I also don't get how forcing Joe Smith to wrestle off at 174 instead is fair to Jacobe Smith who had gone up for half a season to help the team.  

Ultimately you say if you were a Cowboy wrestler you would notice.  I guess it's good you're not a cowboy wrestler.  

Yeah...I don't really get this one either. This seems personal or maybe just someone who particularly dislikes Okie State. You have two guys. Both 2 time AAs. The lineup gets healthy, you've got to sit one of the two 2X AAs. One's your Son and he's played higher in his 2 than the other. You could just go with him. That'd likely result in some animosity, but ultimately some understanding.

But you let them settle it on the mat. They do and they did. And because of that severl years ago, his team hates him and he should have lost his job...despite being an absolute icon in the spot and as a Coach?

That doesn't seem like  well reasoned argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Oh I gotcha.  I think I understand where you care coming from, but I don't think it's that weird at all for two reasons:

1) Most guys who are a true freshman national champion are going to be a hot topic among fans.  AJ is not an exception in that regard

2) Those who are arrogant personalities (for which AJ most certainly qualifies), there is almost a sense of banter with the fans about embracing a villain role, wanting to be rooted against, partly so you can prove those people wrong.  I think it is usually a pretty healthy and natural thing to take place.  

I probably expressed it poorly.  I have no problem with people hating Ferrari for being an idiot.  I'd hate him if he wore a different singlet.  He's fun to root against.  

I just think it's hilarious how people need fantasy matchups to beat him because in real life he actually delivers on his absurd boasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I probably expressed it poorly.  I have no problem with people hating Ferrari for being an idiot.  I'd hate him if he wore a different singlet.  He's fun to root against.  

I just think it's hilarious how people need fantasy matchups to beat him because in real life he actually delivers on his absurd boasts.

He brings it on himself. He's the one who floated the idea of taking on Gable at heavyweight. Think he knew he wasn't really a match for him though. Sorry to continue this hypothetical but I believe he may have had a tough time even placing at heavyweight this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2022 at 7:58 AM, Stl said:

Not saying that Ferrari doesn't need a lesson in humility, but making fun of someone's life-threatening accident is also not a great look, regardless of why it happened.

I disagree. Jokes are fine especially when he was the cause of the accident. Maybe it will prevent him from doing something similarly stupid? Probably not based on how he's still acting. 

The alternative conversation is worse. Imagine he had killed someone as was a real possibility. Imagine you're a family member of one of one of those people and then think about how you would feel towards him. He hasn't yet publicly shown remorse for his reckless actions and doesn't deserve to be defended. 

If he'd been driving normally and this happened or someone had in fact died, then of course jokes would be out of line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

I disagree. Jokes are fine especially when he was the cause of the accident. Maybe it will prevent him from doing something similarly stupid? Probably not based on how he's still acting. 

The alternative conversation is worse. Imagine he had killed someone as was a real possibility. Imagine you're a family member of one of one of those people and then think about how you would feel towards him. He hasn't yet publicly shown remorse for his reckless actions and doesn't deserve to be defended. 

If he'd been driving normally and this happened or someone had in fact died, then of course jokes would be out of line.

Yep - fair take and nicely put. 

Based on the facts that are out there and which haven't to my knowledge been challenged, he did a very serious, really reckless bad thing for which he has shown no public remorse; instead his public behavior since then has been more shallow and selfish than sober and contrite. 

Not a good look. Terrific, mature wrestler on the mat.  But he might want to watch some Starocci interviews and pick up some pointers on how you can be a badass while still being under control.  That's what Starocci is and that's why he's the only one who still has a shot at the historic five-peat.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, boconnell said:

I love how hard many of you try to come up with someone to beat Ferrari.  Whether it's bumping him to Gable or some other heavy, bringing Cael out of retirement, or proclaiming Braxton Amos the next big thing.  You guys are so eager to make him lose that you will go anywhere but his current weight class to find the guy to beat him.  

Dean could certainly have a decent chance of beating him and was not in the bracket when Ferrari won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2022 at 10:20 AM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I just feel bad for John Smith. Poor guy.  Guessing he has a daily conversation with himself about whether it's even worth it.  

Good chuckle for this morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Good chuckle for this morning!

Whatever is happening is taking a toll on him. He looks like he's aged 20 years in the past 10. Lee Roy looks younger than him at this point.

Real question: I know we have a lot more corner footage of coaches than we did even 10 years ago, and I know that even as an athlete he seemed to complain to the refs. But, does anybody else get the impression that he's become a little unhinged? 

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

He's just a knucklehead. That doesn't make me root against him though.

Not a fan, and not sure I ever will be, but then about 4 years, there were maybe 3 kids that I didn't like at all, and they all grew up in the last year or two.....I became a fan of a 125 pounder, a 133 pounder and a 285 pounder.  Big turn around by all 3....great to see!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe1288 said:

Wonder if he moves up to hwy?

I don't know.  When you deadlift 600 pounds, the weights are inert and not trained Greco world champs.  I don't know what Ferrari walks around and tweets at, but I'd be worried Schultz might mistake him for a training meal.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, drag it said:

I don't know.  When you deadlift 600 pounds, the weights are inert and not trained Greco world champs.  I don't know what Ferrari walks around and tweets at, but I'd be worried Schultz might mistake him for a training meal.   

"Hope springs eternal"

-Alexander Pope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, drag it said:

I don't know.  When you deadlift 600 pounds, the weights are inert and not trained Greco world champs.  I don't know what Ferrari walks around and tweets at, but I'd be worried Schultz might mistake him for a training meal.   

LOL, there is walk around weight and then there is tweet weight.  Brilliant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BSUBroncoDynasty said:

Hard to wrestle at any weight when you aren’t currently enrolled in college, as is the case with Ferrari. 

Nobody is wrestling any weight in college right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...