As its stands, the weight class seems to be without any surefire contenders.  We have returning AA's from this year, but I'm not aware if we may have any guys bumping up from 133 to fill the void (or down from 149).  Or maybe a freshman (Lachlan McNeil?)

Wrestlestat lists the following guys as a tentative order of sorts which further details the lack of top end talent (even if a decent amount of overall depth)

1. Cole Matthews (2022 5th)
  2. Real Woods (2022 6th)
  3. Clay Carlson
  4. Grant Willits (2022 4th)
  5. Andrew Alirez
  6. Allan Hart
  7. Jake Bergeland (2022 7th)
  8. Dylan D'Emilio
  9. Gabe Willochell
  10. Sammy Alvarez
  11. Dusty Hone (backup to Carter Young)
  12. Beau Bartlett
  13. CJ Composto (2022 8th)
  14. Julian Farber (backup to Cael Happel)
  15. Josh Mason
  16. Aaron Nagao (backup to Jake Bergeland)
  17. Parker Filius
  18. Frankie Tal-Shahar
  19. Joe Zargo
  20. Matt Kazimir
  21. Dylan Droegmueller
  22. Ryan Jack
  23. Carter Young
  24. Lachlan McNeil
  25. Cael Happel
  26. Josh Edmond (backup to Allan Hart)
  27. Zach Redding
  28. Brock Hardy
  29. Ethen Miller
  30. Dylan Cedeno
  31. Jesse Vasquez
  32. Ryan Anderson
  33. Collin Gerardi
Edited by flyingcement

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I was impressed by Real Woods.  First time watching him.  Would love to see him at Penn State and see how the staff could refine him into a National Champion.

In addition to Real Woods, who looked like a pretty big 141, I was intrigued by CJ Composto.

And for the PSU fans in the crowd...

You have Vincenzo Joseph working with Woods and Mark Hall working with Composto. Hmm, battle by proxy?

1 minute ago, jp157 said:

Penn has quietly been putting together a nice team build 

Someone on HR (I think) had a thread arguing that the teams with the coaching staffs drawn from the widest net of schools (and typically a lot of young guys) were the most successful / up and coming. Made sense to me. And Penn certainly fits that mold.

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Someone on HR (I think) had a thread arguing that the teams with the coaching staffs drawn from the widest net of schools (and typically a lot of young guys) were the most successful / up and coming. Made sense to me. And Penn certainly fits that mold.

I can very much see that 

21 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It's a nice thought, maybe some truth to it.  But it's about money.  Penn's been able to secure a lot of that, and it's paying immediate dividends.  

8 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

It's a nice thought, maybe some truth to it.  But it's about money.  Penn's been able to secure a lot of that, and it's paying immediate dividends.  

It reminds me of a saying I learned from a convertible bond salesman. It's not about the money. It's about the f'n money.

1 minute ago, goStanford18 said:

I believe 6 of the R12/AA’s are returning. No idea if they’ll all stay at 141. 

I like Real Woods to win, but I could see a true freshman (Mendez or Swiderski?) coming in and winning it all.

Swiderski looks ready to compete right away.  Really impressed with that kid. 

Mendez looks like he could use a year, but what do I know.  

4 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

I believe 6 of the R12/AA’s are returning. No idea if they’ll all stay at 141. 

I like Real Woods to win, but I could see a true freshman (Mendez or Swiderski?) coming in and winning it all.

Willits vs Woods Part 9 for the title. 

1 hour ago, Warren_Haynes said:

It has been widely assumed that Josh Edmond would be the mizzou 141 next year. He seemed undersized for 149 this year and Mauller is coming back. 

Does that means Hart would be SOL? Or does he try and make 133? 

Guys at 133 - not many strike me as obvious candidates to bump up.  Based on size, Phillippi would be an obvious choice, having a longer build, and having wrestled 138 in high school.  But with Cole Matthews on his team, that seems pretty unlikely unless Cole is able to bump up to 149 where Pitt hasn't been very strong.  I would rather have Matthews with a title chance at 141 than roll the dice on Phillippi at a new weight class.  I don't see anyone else at 133 who is good enough and has the size that would make sense for a bump up.

From 149, Gomez was at 133 when we last saw him.  Any chance he can make the cut to 141?  He may not want to anyway.  He seemed to really enjoy himself this year.  

Good calls on Swiderski and Mendez.  Those should be obvious ones to watch out for.

18 hours ago, flyingcement said:

As its stands, the weight class seems to be without any surefire contenders.  We have returning AA's from this year, but I'm not aware if we may have any guys bumping up from 133 to fill the void (or down from 149).  Or maybe a freshman (Lachlan McNeil?)

Wrestlestat lists the following guys as a tentative order of sorts which further details the lack of top end talent (even if a decent amount of overall depth)

1. Cole Matthews (2022 5th)
  2. Real Woods (2022 6th)
  3. Clay Carlson
  4. Grant Willits (2022 4th)
  5. Andrew Alirez
  6. Allan Hart
  7. Jake Bergeland (2022 7th)
  8. Dylan D'Emilio
  9. Gabe Willochell
  10. Sammy Alvarez
  11. Dusty Hone (backup to Carter Young)
  12. Beau Bartlett
  13. CJ Composto (2022 8th)
  14. Julian Farber (backup to Cael Happel)
  15. Josh Mason
  16. Aaron Nagao (backup to Jake Bergeland)
  17. Parker Filius
  18. Frankie Tal-Shahar
  19. Joe Zargo
  20. Matt Kazimir
  21. Dylan Droegmueller
  22. Ryan Jack
  23. Carter Young
  24. Lachlan McNeil
  25. Cael Happel
  26. Josh Edmond (backup to Allan Hart)
  27. Zach Redding
  28. Brock Hardy
  29. Ethen Miller
  30. Dylan Cedeno
  31. Jesse Vasquez
  32. Ryan Anderson
  33. Collin Gerardi

Interestng list.

Composto finished 8th and had been ranked 21st by Flo.  There are ten seniors (who I assume mostly move on now) that had been ranked above him:

Nick Lee - #1

Eirman - #2

Rivera #3 

Bergeland - #10

Simon - #11

Red - #12 and many time AA

Clarke - #14

Filius - #18

Parker - #19

Kazmir - #20

And even with those ten presumably graduating and an 8th place finish, you have Composto at 13th?

50 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Interestng list.

Composto finished 8th and had been ranked 21st by Flo.  There are ten seniors (who I assume mostly move on now) that had been ranked above him:

Nick Lee - #1

Eirman - #2

Rivera #3 

Bergeland - #10

Simon - #11

Red - #12 and many time AA

Clarke - #14

Filius - #18

Parker - #19

Kazmir - #20

And even with those ten presumably graduating and an 8th place finish, you have Composto at 13th?

Yeah the list is posted is from Wrestlestat as Mphillips said.  

Swiderski wrestled 152 for the high school season bumping up for team purposes and making the cut to 145 to prove his victory over Mendez was no fluke.  I do not see him at 141.

Mendez clearly needs a season.

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Guys at 133 - not many strike me as obvious candidates to bump up.  Based on size, Phillippi would be an obvious choice, having a longer build, and having wrestled 138 in high school.  But with Cole Matthews on his team, that seems pretty unlikely unless Cole is able to bump up to 149 where Pitt hasn't been very strong.  I would rather have Matthews with a title chance at 141 than roll the dice on Phillippi at a new weight class.  I don't see anyone else at 133 who is good enough and has the size that would make sense for a bump up.

From 149, Gomez was at 133 when we last saw him.  Any chance he can make the cut to 141?  He may not want to anyway.  He seemed to really enjoy himself this year.  

Good calls on Swiderski and Mendez.  Those should be obvious ones to watch out for.

Agreed for the guys at 133. Fix can obviously bump up and become the instant title favorite--but I don't think he'll move up unless he decides 65kg > 57kg for 2024. I think he's a tweener, though, and 61kg is his best weight. 

I think McGee has the size. He looks every bit as big, if not bigger, than Fix. Here's their semis match. Said this in another thread, but I think it's possible Figs forces both Courtney and McGee up. Everyone from 125-157 might bump up to make room--or someone is going to be the odd man out at the lower weights. It's possible Figs can't beat out Courtney, but I'm having a hard time imaging a top 2 recruit will be riding the pine. Vasquez was a top recruit too--but he completely tore his hamstring just a month or two ago, so I have no idea how he'll look upon return. Perhaps he's the odd man out if Figs ends up forcing Courtney + McGee up. 

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Swiderski wrestled 152 for the high school season bumping up for team purposes and making the cut to 145 to prove his victory over Mendez was no fluke.  I do not see him at 141.

Mendez clearly needs a season.

Good info. I believe Swiderski was originally projected as 141lber, but I can see him going 149/157. I thought Mendez looked small next to him in their Who's#1 match, but I haven't seen their RudisPlus Super Match. Sounds like Swiderski dominated.