14 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Agreed for the guys at 133. Fix can obviously bump up and become the instant title favorite--but I don't think he'll move up unless he decides 65kg > 57kg for 2024. I think he's a tweener, though, and 61kg is his best weight. 

I think McGee has the size. He looks every bit as big, if not bigger, than Fix. Here's their semis match. Said this in another thread, but I think it's possible Figs forces both Courtney and McGee up. Everyone from 125-157 might bump up to make room--or someone is going to be the odd man out at the lower weights. It's possible Figs can't beat out Courtney, but I'm having a hard time imaging a top 2 recruit will be riding the pine. Vasquez was a top recruit too--but he completely tore his hamstring just a month or two ago, so I have no idea how he'll look upon return. Perhaps he's the odd man out if Figs ends up forcing Courtney + McGee up. 

Yeah McGee might be a choice if Vasquez needs more time to recover from his injury.  Courtney doesn't look like he has the size for 133 right now, but maybe he could bulk up in the off season.  

As a baseline, here is the order of finishers in 141 from this tournament minus seniors.  Where wrestlers reached the same round, I gave the tiebreaker to the better seed:

And then I'm not sure where you would plug Alvarez, Bartlett, Hardy, Henson, and McNeil into this list.  Plus a few others like Zach Redding, Ryan Anderson, Cayden Rooks and Cael Happel.

1. Grant Willits
2. Cole Matthews
3. Real Woods
4. Jake Bergeland
5. CJ Composto
6. Andrew Alirez
7. Clay Carlson
8. Ryan Jack
9. Dylan Droegmueller
10. Allan Hart
11. Matt Kazimir
12. Quinn Kinner
13. Dylan D'Emilio
14. Parker Filius
15. Frankie Tal-Shahar
16. Joseph Zargo
17. Shannon Hanna
18. Gabe Willochell
19. Carter Young
20. Collin Gerardi
21. Connor McGonagle
22. Jacob Butler
23. Josh Mason
24. Dylan Cedeno

Edited by flyingcement

Jake Bergeland was honored on senior day this past season. Is it possible he reconsiders? Sure but his lifelong goal and dream was to be an AA for the Gophers. He waited his turn and made the most of it. He was ranked mostly in the 14-16 range most the year, did great at Big Tens and Nationals and wrestled to his potential. I would imagine he is happy with his outcome.

Jake Bergeland was honored on senior day this past season. Is it possible he reconsiders? Sure but his lifelong goal and dream was to be an AA for the Gophers. He waited his turn and made the most of it. He was ranked mostly in the 14-16 range most the year, did great at Big Tens and Nationals and wrestled to his potential. I would imagine he is happy with his outcome.

We were told he was going to come back next season, which is why we didn’t give him the “senior sendoff” during the placement rounds.

As a Beaver fan I would love to see Willits back next year.  However he was honored at OSU's senior night this year, he may be done.  We will see.

I'm going to roll with Daton Fix at 141. Let's face it, he's never beating RBY to take the title at 133. He probably can't pull down to 125, but if he does he probably would lose to Spencer Lee. I wouldn't be surprised if Fix moves up to 141 next year to chase his elusive title, should be easier since Nick Lee is graduating. 

1 minute ago, Hufarted said:

I'm going to roll with Daton Fix at 141. Let's face it, he's never beating RBY to take the title at 133. He probably can't pull down to 125, but if he does he probably would lose to Spencer Lee. I wouldn't be surprised if Fix moves up to 141 next year to chase his elusive title, should be easier since Nick Lee is graduating. 

Good point If Fix and Carter Young switched weight classes, they may optimize their situation.  

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Or Redshirt Young, let Whitcraft roll 133.

Wittcraft seems like national qualifier level.  Young at 133 after a year of polishing (in which he did just that at 141) would seem to be a potential AA threat.  I could be wrong but haven't been that impressed with Wittcraft 

Just now, flyingcement said:

Wittcraft seems like national qualifier level.  Young at 133 after a year of polishing (in which he did just that at 141) would seem to be a potential AA threat.  I could be wrong but haven't been that impressed with Wittcraft 

Fair points.  I also want to see Fix at 141, though.

10 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I just saw your post on the international board and that also gives additional reasons to support the idea if he wants to go 65kg

Watching this year's version was just more fun.  He simply looked much better, physically.

9 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

He said in an interview after NCAA’s that he won’t know until July if he gets accepted into grad school at UM.  That will be the deciding factor.

From the Ohio State rumor mill:

“In some form Nic Bouzakis and Jesse Mendez are expecting to go as true freshman next year” not sure what that means for D’Emilio at 141 but he is probably a fringe AA candidate next year. 

32 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Bouzakis has been mentioned for months but Mendez would be a surprise. 

I was a little suprised by Mendez coming up but they say he is wrestling 134.5 all summer in freestyle. 

makes me wonder if somebody on the inside thinks Bouzakis can do 125 for a year? He would be a massive 125. 

On 3/23/2022 at 3:43 AM, flyingcement said:

Wittcraft doesn't impress me all that much either. 

On 3/23/2022 at 3:35 AM, nhs67 said:

Or Redshirt Young, let Whitcraft roll 133.

Young wasn't all that close to AA this year, imo. He should've been redshirted, but I guess John Smith didn't have any choice?? Young should be RS next season, if he gets good work in he should be a favorite to AA his last 3 years. 

On 3/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, Hufarted said:

Also Carter Young who many think could potentially be very good, he seemed to Small and Weak for 141 (He had a hard time getting out of the bottom position and  could not finish even when he got deep on the opponents legs), would be better at 133, and Dix I think would be favored at 141 so it might be best for the team,  But I hear  his mindset is he wants to avenge his losses to RBY and I am sure he does not want to look like he is avoiding RBY or anyone else.  It will be interesting to see what weight he will go at.

Edited by dougb

On 3/22/2022 at 7:17 PM, nhs67 said:

Swiderski wrestled 152 for the high school season bumping up for team purposes and making the cut to 145 to prove his victory over Mendez was no fluke.  I do not see him at 141.

Mendez clearly needs a season.

I don’t think he’d be a very big collegiate 149 at this point. His high school weight is a little deceiving, like you said he went 152 for team purposes, could have easily went 145, nobody around his weight in Michigan was beating him, certainly not in D3.  Going 152 allowed his teammate, Aiden Davis, a better shot at a state championship at 145. He went 141 for a college open in December without a problem.

On 3/22/2022 at 7:09 PM, flyingcement said:

As a baseline, here is the order of finishers in 141 from this tournament minus seniors.  Where wrestlers reached the same round, I gave the tiebreaker to the better seed:

And then I'm not sure where you would plug Alvarez, Bartlett, Hardy, Henson, and McNeil into this list.  Plus a few others like Zach Redding, Ryan Anderson, Cayden Rooks and Cael Happel.

1. Grant Willits
2. Cole Matthews
3. Real Woods
4. Jake Bergeland
5. CJ Composto
6. Andrew Alirez
7. Clay Carlson
8. Ryan Jack
9. Dylan Droegmueller
10. Allan Hart
11. Matt Kazimir
12. Quinn Kinner
13. Dylan D'Emilio
14. Parker Filius
15. Frankie Tal-Shahar
16. Joseph Zargo
17. Shannon Hanna
18. Gabe Willochell
19. Carter Young
20. Collin Gerardi
21. Connor McGonagle
22. Jacob Butler
23. Josh Mason
24. Dylan Cedeno

There are a few guys in here who I could see taking big jumps next year. Zargo at UW is pretty slick and relentless but looked small at 141.

And Carter Young obvious...clearly Beau Bartlett will put himself in the mix(probably not atop, but on the podium) should he do as most expect and drop down.

Woods is my favorite at the moment.

6 hours ago, Divided42 said:

I don’t think he’d be a very big collegiate 149 at this point. His high school weight is a little deceiving, like you said he went 152 for team purposes, could have easily went 145, nobody around his weight in Michigan was beating him, certainly not in D3.  Going 152 allowed his teammate, Aiden Davis, a better shot at a state championship at 145. He went 141 for a college open in December without a problem.

What open?

On 3/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, flyingcement said:

1. Grant Willits
2. Cole Matthews
3. Real Woods
4. Jake Bergeland
5. CJ Composto
6. Andrew Alirez
7. Clay Carlson
8. Ryan Jack
9. Dylan Droegmueller
10. Allan Hart
11. Matt Kazimir
12. Quinn Kinner
13. Dylan D'Emilio
14. Parker Filius
15. Frankie Tal-Shahar
16. Joseph Zargo
17. Shannon Hanna
18. Gabe Willochell
19. Carter Young
20. Collin Gerardi
21. Connor McGonagle
22. Jacob Butler
23. Josh Mason
24. Dylan Cedeno

Think Real Woods is the favorite in that list. Jesse Vasquez will be back for ASU. Think he was ranked 16th when he got injured in December. 

On 3/22/2022 at 6:30 PM, goStanford18 said:

Good info. I believe Swiderski was originally projected as 141lber, but I can see him going 149/157. I thought Mendez looked small next to him in their Who's#1 match, but I haven't seen their RudisPlus Super Match. Sounds like Swiderski dominated. 

I thought Swiderski looked way bigger than Mendez at 145. If Swiderski goes 141 at all it won't be for long. Mendez looked much more appropriately sized at 138 Dapper Dan