1 hour ago, Swayz said:

MacNeil I believe beat Clarke 4-3 in the room,  but Redshirted him.  He will be a stud for UNC.   I think the best 141 in the country though is not in DI.   

Even if/when Fix goes 141?

Who you got?

On 3/22/2022 at 6:30 PM, goStanford18 said:

Good info. I believe Swiderski was originally projected as 141lber, but I can see him going 149/157. I thought Mendez looked small next to him in their Who's#1 match, but I haven't seen their RudisPlus Super Match. Sounds like Swiderski dominated. 

It's always hard for me to tell with those bike shorts and the shirt rather than just a regular singlet...he certainly looked longer(that's a given). Looked like he was pretty thick in the legs and hips as well, he just had the baggy shorts.

What was impressive was how Swiderski looked like he kept picking up confidence as the match went along.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:41 PM, flyingcement said:

Guys at 133 - not many strike me as obvious candidates to bump up.  Based on size, Phillippi would be an obvious choice, having a longer build, and having wrestled 138 in high school.  But with Cole Matthews on his team, that seems pretty unlikely unless Cole is able to bump up to 149 where Pitt hasn't been very strong.  I would rather have Matthews with a title chance at 141 than roll the dice on Phillippi at a new weight class.  I don't see anyone else at 133 who is good enough and has the size that would make sense for a bump up.

From 149, Gomez was at 133 when we last saw him.  Any chance he can make the cut to 141?  He may not want to anyway.  He seemed to really enjoy himself this year.  

Good calls on Swiderski and Mendez.  Those should be obvious ones to watch out for.

I don't think there's any chance Gomez cuts to 141. He looked good at '49, looked like he was having fun again...and I get UW isn't a powerhouse nor will they likely be competing for a trophy(unless Amos really figures it out, Rowley comes in and is even better than expected and the Rocky Jordan rumors are true)...but they do like their 41 pounder Zargo. He's slick, explosive and feels like he's not far away from taking a big jump.

Though...on the other hand, I don't know what Gomez weighs and I know Zargo Wrestled 49 when he was unattached and not technically redshirting...so he could spend time reshaping his body and come back as a legit 149.

Gomez has 2 years left...so maybe if this was his last year maybe he tries to avoid Yianni, but either way, it feels like a bit of a stretch.

I really like Matthews, but he needs to open up. He is so solid, he's tough in every position...but he's not aggressive enough or doesn't attack enough IMO(even though he has some nice shots).

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Who would that be?

Trying to figure it out...and so far the closet I could see(without agreeing, just the best of the rest so to speak)...Baterdene Boldmaa, the NAIA 141. I think he's a 3X who has a year left and Chinzorig Tsermaa, a JUCO 141 who won by tech last year in the finals...

I feel like if you're going to say "the best wrestler isn't in D1," and you don't bother to say who it is, you're just trying to be cute.  From what I can tell, Tsemaa is a Mongolian who's 25-26 and has Olympic aspirations in Freestyle. I don't know, didn't do a real deep dive. I did watch a match by Boldmaa. He looks like Nick Lee to me...without the riding and competition.

Now I DID have a High School Coach who was a top seeded wrestler on a couple of occasions and told me back when they used to allow the D2 Champ into the D1 Tourney that there were a LOT of guys in D2 who would surprise people, a lot of guys who won Nationals, but even if they didn't, guys who'd push the top D1 guys and that was without them really training for it.

But...I'm sorry, I'm struggling to buy this "the best College Wrestler isn't in D1," at the moment. I'd need a little more to substantiate it.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:13 AM, Scourge197 said:

But...I'm sorry, I'm struggling to buy this "the best College Wrestler isn't in D1," at the moment. I'd need a little more to substantiate it.

I am with you here.