Sign in to follow this  
Tripster

2 point takedowns and 7 point tech is just dumb

That means two takedowns and two turns end the match. Or 4 takedowns end the match. With these rules Khubezhty would have teched Tsargush in 4 minutes. Herbert in 09 would get teched in less than 2 minutes instead of beating Gadisov in semis and taking 2nd in the World.

i didnt see it as a jab against the US. if anything, tripster's comment is implying that Herbert was the better wrestler, and we shouldn't let a bad rule cause an unjust outcome.

anyway, whatever example you use to illustrate the point, i'd concur, or at least temper my judgement to "ill-advised", or maybe illogical, given that TDs used to be worth less and the tech threshold used to be higher.

was there ever any explanation for why they changed both those values in opposite directions at the same time?

It's as if they don't like wrestling, so they want to get the match over with quickly. That's the explanation.

Unfortunately this is probably true. Stan Dziedzic (who unfortunately is an out-of-touch FILA apologist) offered some interesting perspectives over the past couple of years and basically said exactly that on these boards. The IOC wants matches to be as short as possible, and doesn't want the tournament to last very long, and FILA has caved. This was the original rationale behind the best two of three periods, because it offered the opportunity for a match to be over in 4 minutes. This was also the rationale behind a 6 point tech ending the period, or two 3 point moves, or one 5 point move. This was also the reason for having an entire weight wrestled in about 3 hours (minus the finals) with only 15 minutes in between matches. If you notice, every single one of these changes has nothing to do with enhancing wrestling, but all are an attempt to end matches as soon as possible, even if by arbitrary criteria (such as the 2x3 pointers). Now, with the new rules, we had reason to be exicted, until we see this crap about 7 point techs, and 2x3 pointers ending the entire match. Initially I thought the 2 point takedowns were to encourage takedowns over pushouts, but with 2 point takedowns and 7 point techs, it's clear that they want matches to be over in under 3 minutes. In fact, many matches under these rules will be shorter than under the previous rules. The sad truth is, the IOC doesn't really want wrestling in the Olympics other than to write a few headlines about it being the world's oldest sport. But when it comes to taking up actual time and space, they'd rather have BMX biking and beach volleyball.

Two point takedowns are very important in my opinion and what needs to go is the 7 point tech. No question. If you move takedowns down to 1 point you need to get rid of the pushout rule. There is ZERO rational in saying that slipping your foot out of bounds should be worth the real wrestling effort of setting up, shooting, and finishing a takedown.

The 10 pt tech was perfect, they make me so mad with this crap. Ruining even these rules which seemed the best in memory.

It's just sad that our wrestling governing body does not like to see wrestling. How are these guys retained ?

Broom them all and get some well educated and logical board members who are already fans of the sport.

I second that jstock... this is ridiculous.

Why be a part of administrating wrestling if you don't want to see matches play out to get a real winner... Not like they couldn't be making money doing something else. I don't understand this desire for short meaningless matches.