Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

New Penn State transfer

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Yep. I didn't think he wrestled HS his Sr season? 84-2 Record.

Correct.

He lost to Stevan Micic as a freshman, won as a sophomore (I believe he was taken down zero times), went down a weight as a junior to challenge Chad Red and lost in an epic final, then skipped his senior year.

31 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Nick Lee only won one state title....

As a sophomore.  He then lost to Chad Red in the final as a junior.  Then he didn't wrestle his senior year.  Despite the 1 state title was still a top recruit and Flo had him ranked 9 overall.

1 hour ago, TLS62pa said:

Ed Ruth top ranked in the nation, 2 state titles.

Ed Ruth never won a state title. I don't believe he was even considered a blue chip recruit. Won a Nat Prep title at Blair as a 5th year senior.

4 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Ed Ruth never won a state title. I don't believe he was even considered a blue chip recruit. Won a Nat Prep title at Blair as a 5th year senior.

5th and 3rd maybe?

Edmond won a couple but wasn't top ranked

Edited by gimpeltf

4 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

5th and 3rd maybe?

5th & 4th at PIAA. And when Cael came to PSU of the guys that were not recruited by him Ruth was behind Bubba Jenkins, Frank Molinaro, and Quentin Wright when considering talent level

Edited by portajohn

7 minutes ago, portajohn said:

5th & 4th at PIAA. And when Cael came to PSU of the guys that were not recruited by him Ruth was behind Bubba Jenkins, Frank Molinaro, and Quentin Wright when considering talent level

That might be possible true but Ruth was the top ranked in the group.  Ruth (5), Wright (12), Jenkins (46), Molinaro (68).

20 minutes ago, portajohn said:

That was my mistake. I edited a couple of hours ago in the original.

Maybe Cael thought he was, "blue chip?" I'm pretty certain he was regarded as a 'top recruit.'  Won IM, third at Beast with an eight match run after a fluke pin in the first round and a Prep champ. Top ranked 171lber in the nation.

Freshman Season – 2005-2006 – Susquehanna Township High School – (26-6)

Sophomore Season – 2006-2007 – Susquehanna Township High School – (28-3)

Junior Season – 2007-2008 – Susquehanna Township High School – (27-2)

Senior Season – 2008-2009 – Blair Academy Prep – (51-1)

10 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Maybe Cael thought he was, "blue chip?" I'm pretty certain he was regarded as a 'top recruit.

6 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Again, cael didn't recruit him. He committed earlier to Troy

@Mphillips I'll admit I'm exaggerating that he wasn't a blue chip recruit but I'm trying to convey that Ruth had a lot of question marks and was considered a "project".  As mentioned he wasnt recruited by Cael but I doubt Ruth has the career he had if Troy stayed at the helm. That goes along with Wright and Molinaro. 

Edited by portajohn

Just now, Fishbane said:

Allegedly Ruth did not know who he was when Cael got the job.  Cael probably knew of Ruth.

haha that's awesome.  I should have done a winky face to demonstrate my facetiousness, but I learned something here anyway

2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

For reference.

Dylan Alton 175 -5 in HS ranked #1 at 152.

Andrew Alton 178 - 8 in HS ranked #1 at 145 # 2 overall.

McIntosh 189 - 5, 3 state titles 5 loses were as a freshman.

Megaludis 170 - 1, 3 state titles.

Vincent Joseph 140 - 17, 2 state titles.

Bo Nickal 183 - 7, 9th p4p 3 state titles.

Jason Nolf 176 - 1, 3 state titles.

David Taylor 180 - 2, 4 state titles.

Ed Ruth 132 - 12, Top ranked in the nation, 1 state prep title.

Zain 130 - 3, 2 state titles.

Hall 271 - 4, 6 titles.

Starocci 159 - 10,  2 state titles.

Brooks 163 - 2, 4 state titles 2018 wrestler of the year.

RBY 182 - 0, 4 state titles.

Found these numbers elsewhere. Not my work. 

I'll bite - who beat Nolf?

5 hours ago, Perry said:

It is a fair question (to an extent). Penn state is great at molding great talent into top tier talent. How is their track record on molding above average talent into great talent? Interesting topic to discuss, actually.

Nick Lee lost to Stevan Miccic and Chad Red in HS 

Their college resumes don’t compare. 

PSU had the best wrestler at half the weight classes, but where were they at their weight classes in hs? Were  they all the number 1 guys at their weights? If not where are the the guys that were ranked above them?  

Edited by jackwebster

1 hour ago, portajohn said:

Ed Ruth was one of the top recruits in the country starting midway through his senior year when he won an Ironman tournament that included Chris Phillips. Any rankings that were put out before that tournament don’t reflect how highly recruited he was. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Ed Ruth was one of the top recruits in the country starting midway through his senior year when he won an Ironman tournament that included Chris Phillips. Any rankings that were put out before that tournament don’t reflect how highly recruited he was. 

Ruth was definitely a top 10 overall recruit. D1Collegewrestling.net had him as 5 overall behind Taylor, Grajales, Perry, and Dake at the end of his senior year. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20190201131848/http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/Recruiting_2009.html