Sign in to follow this  
nhs67

Daton Fix

Greetings all,

Question, nay a topic for discussion...

Fix has already qualified for Final X at 61kg.  Can he also enter WTT for 65kg, similar to how Coon did both styles a few years ago?

I don't necessarily think he would win. 

After seeing him not drained out at 61kg at '22 Worlds, I don't ever want to see him cut back down.  I am sure others are of the same opinion.  That means if he wants to be our rep for the Olympics, he will need to go 65kg. 

I would prefer he get a feel for it before he give it a go for '24 Oly Trials.  If he were able to do it and decide it was best for his chances, he could adjust and perhaps go 141 the next two seasons?  Not sure the approach.

Just a thought/query.

Opinions?

I like Fix's odds of beating Gilman, Lee, and the 57kg field over bumping up and trying the 65kg field. 

Hard for me to picture Fix going up and beating Yianni, McKenna, Nick Lee,  etc., and the 70kg guys who will likely come down for trials (JO, Retherford). It's possible Fix becomes even better putting on some size, but I would pick Yianni against Fix practically 10 times out of 10 right now. 

2 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

I like Fix's odds of beating Gilman, Lee, and the 57kg field over bumping up and trying the 65kg field. 

Hard for me to picture Fix going up and beating Yianni, McKenna, Nick Lee,  etc., and the 70kg guys who will likely come down for trials (JO, Retherford). It's possible Fix becomes even better putting on some size, but I would pick Yianni against Fix practically 10 times out of 10 right now. 

It all depends how he bumps up.  If he keeps drinking mystery water from the family refrigerator, he might do just fine at 65 kg.  

11 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

It's possible Fix becomes even better putting on some size, but I would pick Yianni against Fix practically 10 times out of 10 right now. 

Total aside here, but this comment reminded me of one of my favorite HS matches: 

He's nowhere near big enough for 65kg.  Adjusting to that weight will take him a while. I don't like his chances dropping to 57kg at this point either, but it's a much more realistic shot than 65.  

Fix vs. Yianni... forget it.  McKenna and Lee would also walk over him, and I think he would struggle mightily with the next tier of guys like Henderson and Gross.  

He's pretty darn short, isn't he? When he's stood next to Gilman I was surprised at the height discrepancy.

I don't think he's getting enough credit. If he bulks up effectively, he could be a force. Still, it's a little difficult for me to imagine him beating Yianni, Lee, and whoever steps up at 65kg.

I think it may be a bit too soon for the tweeners to shift weights, especially when it reduces their odds of even making the team. Fix just won a world medal. I would fully expect him to defend his spot on the team as long as he can and try to rack up hardware (especially if that involves a gold) - then worry about '24 after the 2023 world championships.

Well the returning medalist does get a bye to the semi-finals of the challenge tournament as the 2 seed, so there is benefit if staying 61.

To my other question: Does he void his Final X birth at 61kg if he tests the waters at 65kg for trials?

Edited by nhs67

Well I believe that Fix needs to worry about the immediate future such as this year’s World Team, I think that he’s going to get a serious challenge from RBY. 
As far as going to 57, or 65, only time will tell. 

I would again like to point out that Rashidov used to make 57kg with night before weigh ins. He moved to 65kg when the weigh ins change to morning of. He is also very short. Wikipedia lists him at 5'4", which is like 2" taller than Fix, but I bet he may be overrepresenting his height there.