GreatWhiteNorth

Andonian v Gomez in Qtr's - Illegal hold

2 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

One of the best matches of the quarters (arguably the best), was Andonian v Gomez.

At one point, which is at about 6:50 the ref stopped the action for an illegal hold. What was illegal?

I forget the exact nature of the rule, but it's definitely the leg scissors he had. You can see the ref looking for it and then calling it when his legs lock. There are certain situations where you can't hold  a scissor on the bottom man's legs while on top.  I think it's dangerous in how it locks out the leg.  

In other news...I don't understand why the NCAA is posting this and other matches for free on youtube...  They are going to go bankrupt just giving away their content like this.  That's pretty stupid of them. 

Had to be a frustrating match for Gomez in that he body-locked Andonian multiple times from the standing position but while lifting and bringing him to the mat, Andonian's sense of body positioning got him out what otherwise would have been an easy two and maybe some back points, as well. A great example of continuing to wrestle till the situation is over.

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I forget the exact nature of the rule, but it's definitely the leg scissors he had. You can see the ref looking for it and then calling it when his legs lock. There are certain situations where you can't hold  a scissor on the bottom man's legs while on top.  I think it's dangerous in how it locks out the leg.  

In other news...I don't understand why the NCAA is posting this and other matches for free on youtube...  They are going to go bankrupt just giving away their content like this.  That's pretty stupid of them. 

"The NCAA will go bankrupt..." Genius insight right there.

9 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

looks like the ref is signaling locked hands after the illegal move sign, the legs didn't change.

I dont know what that signal/call is relative to the position aside from the Illegal hold sign. 

Looked like Andonian was using a forearm (his own) lock/hold to try and break down Gomez' right arm. This really confused me live as well.  

Edited by iGranby

I am not sure either, but it looks like the ref is looking at the legs.  He gets in the way as he calls it and can't see, but did Andonians feet come off the mat and he was trying to stop and illegal cutback before it happened?  I can't see much else.

Regardless this was a super awesome match to watch (as was the other one). Andonian is so much fun to watch-he is so dangerous in every position. I feel so bad for the guys who have to roll with him in practice because if he is hitting that crazy stuff in matches, imagine the absolute crazy things he attempts in practice. 

7 hours ago, OldGrappler said:

He briefly locked around the neck without an arm included.  Illegal headlock.  

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Oh true this was it. Good call. 

Thanks. I was in a heated debate over what it was. I thought illegal headlock, my opposition was convinced ref was signaling locked hands.

17 hours ago, IronChef said:

I believe this is the illegal situation, but I think the ref might have messed it up. Andonian seemed confused by the call as well.

https://imgur.com/a/YHdgNGm

You may be right. It's hard to tell from the angle of that pic (and the video.) Andonian may not be encircling the shoulder/arm below the midway point. If it is encircled, it barely is. It looks like the pressure is on the headlock and little leverage is being gained from the shoulder/arm at all. In real time, it's not any easier to call.

Further, the headlock is clearly putting pressure on the Gomez's left side carotid artery (but not the throat) which puts it in jeopardy of being an illegal hold.

Tough call. I'm not convinced either way yet.

5 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

The ref did mess that up. its called a legal head pry, PSU does it all the time.

You, also, may possibly be right. It just isn't clear what call the ref actually made other than 'illegal hold'. With the leg in, it doesn't appear to be a by-the-book head pry. I'm still leaning toward illegal headlock.