Ragu

Death to headgear

Headgear  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no

• Get rid of it
    • I think they look cool

1 minute ago, JeanGuy said:

Is there really no protection? Isn't the bigger problem from a protection standpoint not wearing it while practicing?

They're hardly worn off-season tournaments or in any freestyle/greco matches. Clearly our guys don't want to wear them

I'm a big proponent of headgear but the problem is that it's not worn in practice. If you're wrestling for hours every week w/o it it's not going to matter if you wear it in matches. It's crazy to me these guys still think cauliflower ear is some sort of badge of honor but they do. I've also never seen a PSA from a former wrestler warning kids about how bad they'll feel once they get older. 

3 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

I'm a big proponent of headgear but the problem is that it's not worn in practice. If you're wrestling for hours every week w/o it it's not going to matter if you wear it in matches. It's crazy to me these guys still think cauliflower ear is some sort of badge of honor but they do. I've also never seen a PSA from a former wrestler warning kids about how bad they'll feel once they get older. 

I never got cauliflower in HS and never wore my headgear in practice.  In college I had my ear drained 3 times and still have cauliflower on my right side and we were required to wear headgear in practice.  I think it should be a choice, and I agree it's not a badge, and I am sure wearing it in practice helps in most cases, but my point is it happens regardless.

1 hour ago, buckshot1969 said:

Exactly. Cauliflower ear was not a badge of honor for me but I never wore headgear during practice and am paying the price for my stupidity now.

. I've also never seen a PSA from a former wrestler warning kids about how bad they'll feel once they get older. 

I don’t think this is true.   I went to a camp with the Steiner twins (before the WWE I think) and distinctly remember being warned about cauliflower ear from them

Mandatory through college. The schools first duty is to protect students - even from foolish decisions. When I was 18 I wanted to ride my motorcycle without a helmet and drive without a seatbelt. Sometimes decisions are not best left to kids.

If that's the case, then teams that allow this are violating NCAA rules.  Section 5 Article 4 clearly states that ear protection is to be worn anytime live wrestling takes place.

image.png.df8a05e79f300f92964a614a9daaab13.png

I've posted about this before.

At my first practice as a Freshman in high school, the coach showed us pictures of kids with Cauliflower ears.

Scared the crap out of me.

From that day, I wore headgear every time I stepped o a mat.

Never had a problem wearing them.

When I was in college we had the "Halo" headgear.

I found them to be the most comfortable.

I agree with the poster who said to keep headgear mandatory through

college.

6 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

At my first practice as a Freshman in high school, the coach showed us pictures of kids with Cauliflower ears.

Scared the crap out of me.

I did the same with my kids for brushing teeth.  Seemed to work in our house.

image.png.14e69ceaa64e8d33c4acb92780a8c953.png

For the most part, I wore them all the time. I had NO PROBLEMS. I wore the Cliff Keen 4 strap and Halo (personal favorite.)

The few times I entered in  Freestyle tournaments... my ears took a beating. Felt sore for a few days and all, didn't like the feeling.

If you think cauliflower ears is "The Look" for you, you can have at it. A 'badge" that send a warning sign to others... that may be so. In my life time some thought I was an "easy" target... that was their mistake.

D3

I wouldnt say “they look cool” but there is no reason not to wear headgear. Especially for adolescents. College, ok, maybe you can make your own decisions now. 

MS/HS - headgear went on before warm-ups and never came off until the end of practice coach meeting. We did zero wrestling w/o head gear.

College practice it was optional but I kept with what I knew.

Coaching, got my ears dinged up a number of times and would have to wear headgear for times.

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think this is true.   I went to a camp with the Steiner twins (before the WWE I think) and distinctly remember being warned about cauliflower ear from them

Iowa Steiners (Troy and Terry) or  pro wrestling Michigan Rechsteiners (Rick and Scott)?