Ragu

Death to headgear

Headgear  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no

• Get rid of it
    • I think they look cool

I always wore my headgear. I wrestled nearly 20 years in total and I don't have cauliflower ears. I'm ugly enough already, thanks, without adding ugly, shapeless lumps to the side of my head. Plus, if I ever get into a fight with a guy that has cauliflower ears guess what's going on my target list? 

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

gotcha...I was lost on the WWE comment

Wait, I guess neither Terry nor Troy were ever in the WWE, were they?  LOL, not sure why I thought that (maybe thinking of the other ones).  But they definitely had some bad cauliflower ear!

11 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

I'm a big proponent of headgear but the problem is that it's not worn in practice. If you're wrestling for hours every week w/o it it's not going to matter if you wear it in matches. It's crazy to me these guys still think cauliflower ear is some sort of badge of honor but they do. I've also never seen a PSA from a former wrestler warning kids about how bad they'll feel once they get older. 

NCAA rules require it be worn in practice. I agree with you that athletes should wear it, and more college coaches should enforce wearing it.  I'm glad my coaches did at every level including college.  Do you see football players practicing without helmets on in contact drills?  Having deformed ears is not a sign of being tough-it's something that limits the appeal of the sport. 

9 hours ago, lu_alum said:

If that's the case, then teams that allow this are violating NCAA rules.  Section 5 Article 4 clearly states that ear protection is to be worn anytime live wrestling takes place.

image.png.df8a05e79f300f92964a614a9daaab13.png

Yep!  I was surprised when I found it was mandatory...I was thinking...If it's required in practice why do so many people have ****ed up ears. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

18 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

NCAA rules require it be worn in practice. I agree with you that athletes should wear it, and more college coaches should enforce wearing it.  I'm glad my coaches did at every level including college.  Do you see football players practicing without helmets on in contact drills?  Having deformed ears is not a sign of being tough-it's something that limits the appeal of the sport. 

Yep!  I was surprised when I found it was mandatory...I was thinking...If it's required in practice why do so many people have ****ed up ears. 

I never wore a Head Gear in Practice and don't have Cauliflower Ears,  I know many who always wore Headgear in practice and got them.

11 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

I'm a big proponent of headgear but the problem is that it's not worn in practice. If you're wrestling for hours every week w/o it it's not going to matter if you wear it in matches. It's crazy to me these guys still think cauliflower ear is some sort of badge of honor but they do. I've also never seen a PSA from a former wrestler warning kids about how bad they'll feel once they get older. 

I've tried...just nobody cares about me.

I had them by the time I was in 7th/8th grade. Right ear constantly swelling up like a Golf Ball. Left ear...not nearly as much.

I started getting them drained and it was so painful then. As a Freshmen I got my first scrape, came back with cotton stitched into my ear and my Coach...who was a former 2X NC and would tell guys to wear headgear but really left it up to them...he asked me to describe it. So I did...and I remember it hurting worse back then.

When I got it scraped I had this 85 year old Doctor...Ear/nose and Throat. I remember him cutting into my ear and it was EXCRUCIATING...he'd made about a quarter inch incision, but when it's all raw like that and swollen, it's so much more painful. He says, "it should be pretty good and number right now," and then...like it was just a little whoops, goes, "oh, forgot to give you the shot!"

Got the shot...that made it fine. Still, rolling onto my ear, that sucked at night and always jarred me awake.

----
I wore headgear after that, but once it gets to that point, it's still gonna get swollen regularly.

My Mom learned to drain it through HS and then I learned through College. Got another scrape in College and got a mold to basically hold the ear up so it didn't fold over like the Stieners did. I was fine with messed up ears, I just didn't want those little knots on the side of my head.

So I probably drained it myself 50+ times, had my Mom do it about the same. Numbing it up never seemed like it helped much, it was just a trip to the Doctor and then slightly less pain, that's why we did it ourselves.

But now when I get cold, my ears get SOOO cold. Like they're gonna break off. Beside that, I don't really mind them. I argued with a women cutting my hair once and she refused to touch it as she insisted that it came from bacteria on the mat because "her Husband wrestled in HS." I corrected her and she literally just said no. Turns out this clown Wrestled JV for some tiny little school.

MOST of this is because I thought headgear were annoying in Middle School. Man was I a moron. But, as I said, not so bad now. They have the general outline of a normal ear and my hearing isn't impacted too much.

I don’t think this is true.   I went to a camp with the Steiner twins (before the WWE I think) and distinctly remember being warned about cauliflower ear from them

Iowa Steiners (Troy and Terry) or  pro wrestling Michigan Rechsteiners (Rick and Scott)?  

I was wondering the same thing

Edited by fadzaev2

23 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

Totally agree.

18 hours ago, dougb said:

I never wore a Head Gear in Practice and don't have Cauliflower Ears,  I know many who always wore Headgear in practice and got them.

Then they’re wearing it wrong. Cliff Keen and Tornado both work very well. 

Wore my headgear every day in practice in HS.  Cauliflower ear developed the week before the post season started my sr. year.  Had it drained 2x but it is still visible.  I'm certain the headgear worn today would prevent it if it was worn everyday in practice.  I wore the old halo style from 1st grade - 12th grade.  Once it started, I switched to the four strap style because it didn't sit right against my ear like the halo did.

1 hour ago, Bozak2018 said:

Wore my headgear every day in practice in HS.  Cauliflower ear developed the week before the post season started my sr. year.  Had it drained 2x but it is still visible.  I'm certain the headgear worn today would prevent it if it was worn everyday in practice.  I wore the old halo style from 1st grade - 12th grade.  Once it started, I switched to the four strap style because it didn't sit right against my ear like the halo did.

Yep, that's key. The Cliff Keen Signature is the best headgear IMO.  I don't see how it's possible to get cauliflower ear if you wear it and properly adjust the straps.  The Halo style didn't really work well for me for the exact reason you said.  The Tornado works pretty well, but the soft earcups on that one can sometimes collapse in (or at least they used to years ago, maybe they've updated the material).

I never wore headgear in practice.  I did not wrestle in college so I can't speak for that.  Never had a problem.  But practices were really not that tough looking back.   I did go to practices as a volunteer over the 30 years I've been married off and on (more on than off).   We moved to Apple Valley MN and lived in the other HS's district.  So i did not go to Apple Valley practices but to the other school.  Practices there were tough and mean and a lot more than what I experienced in HS.  My right ear started hurting and I didn't think too much about it for a while.  Then it really hurt so I went to a Dr.  He said I waited too long and there was nothing to drain.  I think I started wearing headgear after that but still have a bit of inflammation there that I must admit I'm kind of proud of.  Nothing horrific like the Steiner twins, those guys' ears are outrageous.  Just a small piece is a little bigger than normal.  Hardly noticeable to anyone.  

I did some veterans wrestling and had fun with that.  I was there when a good friend of mine got slammed into the mat and had a serious cut over his eye (veterans again).  While waiting in the aid station, a college age wrestler came in to have his ear drained.  It was so huge I was wondering what the point was.  It was already ruined.  But drain it they did and he went back out there.  But his ear only looked minimally better. 

Our whole FS team has ears.  

mspart

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Yep, that's key. The Cliff Keen Signature is the best headgear IMO.  I don't see how it's possible to get cauliflower ear if you wear it and properly adjust the straps.  The Halo style didn't really work well for me for the exact reason you said.  The Tornado works pretty well, but the soft earcups on that one can sometimes collapse in (or at least they used to years ago, maybe they've updated the material).

100% correct. The halos were like toys and offer very little protection once you get up to high school level "rough" practices.(though practices at the youth level today can be pretty intense). The tornados are comfy and look nice but for industrial strength ear protection theres no beating the CK signature headgear.

7 hours ago, Better Call Stall said:

100% correct. The halos were like toys and offer very little protection once you get up to high school level "rough" practices.(though practices at the youth level today can be pretty intense). The tornados are comfy and look nice but for industrial strength ear protection theres no beating the CK signature headgear.

When I was in high school, we used the 4 strap "Michigan" head gear.

In college we used the "Halo".

The "Halo's " were a lot more comfortable.

Wore them for every practice and match.

Never had any ear problems.