Antitroll2828

Off-season transfer Portal

14 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

There is a difference between practice room close and similar results against common opponents. I suspect the familiarity from the room made it close, but that they are not really close. 

Beard man handled Caffey this year at the scuffle and Dean lost to him in dual meet. There are also some competitive results to suggest they are closely matched

14 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I was thinking of placesthat have some combination of the following:

1) Competitive D1 program

2) Opening (relatively speaking) at 197

3) Strong RTC program locally

4) Close to home (he went to Malvern Prep for high school which is a 45 minute drive away from University City).  I'm not actually sure if this is a factor for him

5) Good academics (I'm not sure to what extent he is thinking about this, but he could get into Northwestern, which makes me think he could have a chance at getting into Penn)

All of the above five points would put Penn in a positive position.  Chatter I heard elsewhere also mentioned Drexel, Lehigh and Arizona State.

Getting into an ivy league school as a transfer student is extremely difficult from what i understand

Just now, lurk_nowitzki said:

Beard man handled Caffey this year at the scuffle and Dean lost to him in dual meet. There are also some competitive results to suggest they are closely matched

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Beard knock off Dean. If I was PSU, I'd rather have Beard for the next 3 rather than Dean for 1 more, but it's kinda hard to move on front a NC willingly.

Of course it's PSU, so in a year they'll probably had a young phenom stepping in at 197, maybe waiting for a year while Brooks and Starocci bump up a weight and then HE'LL step in and contend.

For a kid that was beating Buchanan at the end of his Freshmen year at the NCAAs, it's not hard to understand why he wouldn't want to take another year to sit behind Dean.

Beard had good enough grades and test scores to be admitted to Northwestern. Looking around at WrestleStat, he could have plenty of opportunities at great schools. Stanford's 197 is ranked #51, Davison at NU is #27. 

Unless he's been making no progress towards his degree, which I doubt, he's near graduating, which likely eliminates Penn, as he'd only have ~1 year left there.

3 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Beard had good enough grades and test scores to be admitted to Northwestern. Looking around at WrestleStat, he could have plenty of opportunities at great schools. Stanford's 197 is ranked #51, Davison at NU is #27. 

Unless he's been making no progress towards his degree, which I doubt, he's near graduating, which likely eliminates Penn, as he'd only have ~1 year left there.

If he is near graduation then how does he transfer into a Northwestern or Stanford?  Now if grad program, maybe.

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

If he is near graduation then how does he transfer into a Northwestern or Stanford?  Now if grad program, maybe.

He'd be admitted to an undergrad program...

I have no idea of the actual facts, but here is an issue to consider re: NIL and how it may change the current environment in a way that is fairer for wrestlers.  If Beard stuck around and worked toward a graduate degree or MBA at PSU, hard to imagine he has a lot of scholarship leverage or NIL to help pay for the cost of the graduate degree as a backup to Dean.   But, assuming he is looking at a graduate/MBA at another program, he may do better with both athletic aid and NIL to pay tuition and living expenses as a post-grad.   

Edited by Elevator

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Beard already decommitted from Northwestern once. It's also not a school that recruits over its current guys, so even if Beard had more potential than Davison, they'll still stick with their guy.

2 hours ago, Scourge197 said:

My definition of fantastical? THEE definition. Foolish, irrational, highly unrealistic, impractical,extreme, exorbitant. I was aiming for a more polite way to dismiss it, but subtly doesn't seem to be working here.

As far as what I meant by "back in the day," by the context, and the fact that I said 167, with more time("and all that") I was ASSUMING you had a better understanding of the history of the sport. Obviously I gave you too much credit.

Let me explain...before they changed the weights in College Wrestling, Wrestlers were able to cut much more weight, they had more time to recover after weigh ins...among other rule changes. I was inferring MAYBE(though still unlikely) if you were operating under the old rules where you had sometimes a full day from weigh ins to Wrestling and the weight was 167, then I suppose it MIGHT be PLAUSIBLE(but still...not really). So no...I was not referring to last year, thus the entire premise of your post that last year was "back in the day," is just kinda...pointless. It was a way to articulate just how silly this idea is.

Do you know what Hemauer looks like? He was a 195 and then 182 in HS. He's a long '74 and a pretty big one...probably more suited to 184. He's ~6'2 and walks around in the 190s.

Now...if I WAS unaware that he'd TRIED to make 165, do you think juuust maybe the fact that I replied to a post in which someone pointed out that during his 5 year career, a career during which he's wrestled at 174 and 184, that ONE DAY he made 165, that just miiight have clued me in? So even if you thought BEFORE that I may not have known he'd made 165 ONCE, that right there...again, another context clue.

Not sure why you're seemingly so eager to bring up Ethan Smith's development in "CBus," but if you're looking for a bad take and weighing it against others, I'd start with yours and the idea that Hemauer is going to make 165 through an entire year.

Hate to say it, but fantastical would be Zack Rey wrestling 125, NOT a guy that HAS ACTUALLY WRESTLED 165, doing so for a season.  Now, would it be fair to say, highly unlikely, due to the reasons you listed?  Yep.  But, you are dead wrong on the word usage and he was right on for calling you out on it.

Remember, the root word, in this case, should be "fantasy".  Plus, where did you get your definition of fantastical?  Merriam-Webster doesn't even acknowledge it as a word, instead guiding you to fanciful or fantastically(which isn't even similarly defined, as it's root word is fantastic).  If you use Webster's 1913 version you get the equivalent to "fanciful", which basically refers you back to the "fantasy" root word.

Edited by MSU158

9 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Calling it now… Beard goes to ASU and then beats Dean in the NCAA finals via a neutral cradle ;-)

Funny.  But if I am Cael and that is the finals match-up next year, might want to remind Dean to watch the cradle!

4 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Hate to say it, but fantastical would be Zack Rey wrestling 125, NOT a guy that HAS ACTUALLY WRESTLED 165, doing so for a season.  Now, would it be fair to say, highly unlikely, due to the reasons you listed?  Yep.  But, you are dead wrong on the word usage and he was right on for calling you out on it.

Remember, the root word, in this case, should be "fantasy".  Plus, where did you get your definition of fantastical?  Merriam-Webster doesn't even acknowledge it as a word, instead guiding you to fanciful or fantastically(which isn't even similarly defined, as it's root word is fantastic).  If you use Webster's 1913 version you get the equivalent to "fanciful", which basically refers you back to the "fantasy" root word.

Yes, it's fantastical. Making weight ONE day is not the same as doing it for an entire season...he's not cutting down to 165. Yes, it's ALSO fantastical that Zack Rey would wrestle 125.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fantastical

Now...I'm done with this silliness. He got confused when I made a reference to the older rules being the ONLY conceivable way he'd be able to wrestle a weight lower and he didn't seem to understand that and now this is just getting beyond petty.

56 minutes ago, Scourge197 said:

Yes, it's fantastical. Making weight ONE day is not the same as doing it for an entire season...he's not cutting down to 165. Yes, it's ALSO fantastical that Zack Rey would wrestle 125.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fantastical

Now...I'm done with this silliness. He got confused when I made a reference to the older rules being the ONLY conceivable way he'd be able to wrestle a weight lower and he didn't seem to understand that and now this is just getting beyond petty.

I am sorry, but your comprehension of the word itself is what is silly.  When someone has actually done something(less than a year ago), it doesn't REMOTELY fall into the realm of fantasy to think they could do it again.

Put it this way, a unicorn is a fantastical creature.  Zach Rey wrestling 125 lbs is on that plane.  

A 300+lb linemen running a sub 5 second 40 is unlikely, but just happened at the combine.  Hemauer wrestling 165 again, less than a year after he did it, falls much more into the latter than the former...

5 hours ago, Scourge197 said:

My definition of fantastical? THEE definition. Foolish, irrational, highly unrealistic, impractical,extreme, exorbitant. I was aiming for a more polite way to dismiss it, but subtly doesn't seem to be working here.

As far as what I meant by "back in the day," by the context, and the fact that I said 167, with more time("and all that") I was ASSUMING you had a better understanding of the history of the sport. Obviously I gave you too much credit.

Let me explain...before they changed the weights in College Wrestling, Wrestlers were able to cut much more weight, they had more time to recover after weigh ins...among other rule changes. I was inferring MAYBE(though still unlikely) if you were operating under the old rules where you had sometimes a full day from weigh ins to Wrestling and the weight was 167, then I suppose it MIGHT be PLAUSIBLE(but still...not really). So no...I was not referring to last year, thus the entire premise of your post that last year was "back in the day," is just kinda...pointless. It was a way to articulate just how silly this idea is.

Do you know what Hemauer looks like? He was a 195 and then 182 in HS. He's a long '74 and a pretty big one...probably more suited to 184. He's ~6'2 and walks around in the 190s.

Now...if I WAS unaware that he'd TRIED to make 165, do you think juuust maybe the fact that I replied to a post in which someone pointed out that during his 5 year career, a career during which he's wrestled at 174 and 184, that ONE DAY he made 165, that just miiight have clued me in? So even if you thought BEFORE that I may not have known he'd made 165 ONCE, that right there...again, another context clue.

Not sure why you're seemingly so eager to bring up Ethan Smith's development in "CBus," but if you're looking for a bad take and weighing it against others, I'd start with yours and the idea that Hemauer is going to make 165 through an entire year.

You're all over there, bud.  Want a napkin?  A cookie?  You're obviously new here, son.  Sit down before you have an aneurysm.

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

With the Greco boys there in CBus as well as Ornerydwarf, do you think he goes there?

I would really love to see Malik AA next season. Although, If 33 is an option then that whole class of killer can RS.

@nhs67,Just looked at the other thread, I see this has already been bantered about.

Edited by Mphillips

10 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You're all over there, bud.  Want a napkin?  A cookie?  You're obviously new here, son.  Sit down before you have an aneurysm.

Sure...and I was all over the place how bud? By explaining the difference in rules and why he's not wrestling 165?

Did I touch on other topics? You were the one thrown for a loss and confused when I made reference to the old rules regarding cutting weight and somehow thought "back in the day" was last year.